Question Turn Off Video signal on HDMI output - nVidia CP!

Scutu Mix

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
www.scutustudios.com
Hello everyone,

I have an Asus RTX3070 that I use with a DisplayPort cable to drive my 2k ASUS ROG monitor - mostly for gaming - and it works great!
But, my Audio is digital output through HDMI cable on my MARANTZ NR1402 A/V Receiver - which drive a Klipsch 5.1 Surround Sound System.

The problem I have or more exactly question is...

How can I turn off the VIDEO on the A/V Receiver HDMI output and let only the audio go through?

I've noticed on nVidia Control Panel that I can actually Turn OFF the AUDIO but I can't turn off the VIDEO.... Which is strange - why I have control over Audio but not over Video?! I'm missing something?

nVidia CP Audio Option: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iWFeFGHwMYqwuYfx8
My Setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Scutu/saved/#view=ZhXn6h

- Why do I need to do this?
Well, by having the second screen there, sometimes my mouse goes on that screen or a window and I can't find it because there's no screen connected to the A/V Receiver.

- If I clone the 2nd display (A/V Receiver) with the 1st display then my 1st display ASUS ROG will reduce its screen resolution to 1920x1080 which is the A/V Receiver resolution.

- If I turn Off the 2nd display then the Audio will Turn Off as well.

Does anyone have any solution to this?

Last edited:
hi, there is no normal way to do that, dp or hdmi needs video signal in order to work, once video signal is there u can then use audio, network or whatever else got implemented there over dp/hdmi cable
so what u need is either soundcard to your receiver with correct channels and codecs (dts/dolby whatever version)
or u can use audio extractor so video will go to your monitor, audio will go to your receiver
or u can attach your monitor to your AVR with hdmi to dp adapter

Scutu Mix

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
www.scutustudios.com
Hey @kerberos_20 thanks for your suggestions,

Using a sound card, it will compress the 5.1 surround sound (DDL, DTS, etc) to be able to send it through optical since the receiver has No Analog 5.1 input and the Optical Toslink connection is limited to 2 channels Stereo uncompressed or Compressed DDL or DTS. This will reduce the sound quality and it makes no sense to convert the sound from digital to analogue then back to compressed digital (DTS) then the receiver to un-compress and convert back to analogue. :(

Using an Audio Extractor will only output Optical Digital (which is exactly what a sound card will do) or Stereo Analogue.

Attaching my Asus ROG screen to the receiver will reduce the resolution to 1080p, 60Hz and no G-Sync.
My Asus ROG Is 2650x1440, 144Hz, G-Sync, 3D nVision. - all those features will be lost.

I have two sound cards at the moment, ASUS D2X and STX - and using them is not an option in terms of sound quality. :(

Thanks again, I'll keep looking for a solution here.
Eventually, hack an HDMI cable and cut the Video PIN and leave everything else. Hopefully, it will work... Hahaha, I have to see it!!!

Scutu Mix

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
www.scutustudios.com
... and I think I solved the problem, at least with this simple hack!

What I did: I opened the nVidia CP and then the "Set Up Multiple Displays" and arranged the screens to be corner-to-corner. Not really touching any side. Here's a screenshot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QczmHYcyDNQqXnPb8

So what's happening is that my mouse can't go on that screen because is not edge-to-edge with the other screen... so no way I can lose the mouse again. The only problem would be if any window will open randomly on that screen. I can't tell that for now, but I'll update if any issues in time! :)

Still looking for a solution that would help us with A/V Receivers and HDMI for sound output only. Rather than this hack that may not be the best for everyone with similar issues.

Last edited: