Turn Your 2.5-inch HDD Into a USB 3.0 External Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Erm, what??

It's a USB 3.0 enclosure, why is this newsworthy? Seriously, these devices have been on the market for ages, by many different manufacturers, what makes this one special enough to be newsworthy?

I sense advertising money...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Like xbeater says, this is a (very) simple (rather expensive) USB3 enclosure.

I've been doing this with my old notebook and desktop drives since well before SATA existed and have a bunch of old 40 and 60 gig drives from dead notebooks in cases for those times when a flash drive isn't large enough.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]by this time i think all new laptops should have at least a usb 3.0 port but they don't[/citation]
Yh, well, at least we have backward compatibility.
Besides, I just boughta 1TB 2.5 inch USB3 Drive yesterday, from WD, nifty little thing, goes fast on the USB3 (~ 100 read / ~ 80 write ) from what I see. Cost me just 75 Euro new, so I fail to see the point of these enclosures. Few years ago it was cheaper, but now, not so much.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Not really, A USB3 adapter is pretty standard in motherboards these days, and if you don't have it yet, its like 20 bucks, still nothing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124102

And the external drives themselves are adopting the USB 3.0 standard as well, finally, and they pretty much come at the same price point as the older USB 2.0 drives.

So stop your whining if you haven't got your facts straight

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Bah, $29, your being ripped off. Go to Newegg or Tiger Direct, they have tons of 2.5" and 3.5" enclosures to choose from.

tachi1247

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
The real question is does it support SATA 6 gb/s so I can hook up an SSD. Current SSD models can't saturate USB 3.0 so there is no performance loss.

G

So, if this article is bought and paid for, I'm going to assume when Bulldozer gets reviewed on nothing but ICC compiled benchmarks, that somebody also bought and paid for that article.

For those of you that don't believe the tech media is that crooked:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4486/server-rendering-hpc-benchmark-session

So, you have a bunch of sensationalist graphs of 2 different benchmarks showing AMD getting stomped. They eventually admit halfway through the article that one of the benchmarks is compiled with ICC, Intel's own compiler, but fail to admit that the other is ALSO compiled with ICC. However, nobody with a life is going to read the entire article, so the point is that you'll skim over the graphs and see AMD getting stomped, and be brainwashed into thinking that Xeon has a real-world performance advantage over Magny-Cours Opterons, which it does not.

G

@jsc: Yeah, but for $20 more you can buy a USB3 enclosure that comes with an actual 500GB drive in it. This article makes the ridiculous assumption that you have a decent 2.5" drive laying around and would want to invest $30 more in it.

I don't know about you, but the only 2.5" HDDs I have laying around are crappy old 40GB ones that couldn't saturate USB2 bandwidth anyways. The only thing lamer than that enclosure is this article.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
I have a similar enclosure from ST-Lab for $24. Been using it since spring. This news article is surprising in being no news at all...

Reminded me of your April 1st prank news :)

flclkun

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
30 bucks for a USB3 enclosure? I'll give it another 6 months when the tech is standard across the board. It's tech i don't need to have right now.

G

Really smart looking case... just a beautiful design... ya where've I seen that before... black back/front, silver/metal bezel... can't put my finger on it.

Gimme a break.

CeedoFan

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Seems like you have made a number of posts with the same allegation.

It looks pretty cool to me. Which video are you watching? This drive claims to have a metal frame and a rubber insert, making it way different than the cheap enclosures on New Egg.

I want one and I am not paying any advertising to anyone. I wonder how fast it can go. Can I put an SSD in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.