TV tuner for cable to projector

golf-guy16

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm doing some research for my student organization and need some help. All I'm trying to do is hook up cable TV to a projector. I know we could get a TV tuner, but we wanted to avoid the need for a computer. We're also looking for an HD picture since we were projecting the picture on a very large screen.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

golf-guy16

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
This is land cable not over the air. I'm not exactly sure at the moment what inputs the projector has, but I'm pretty sure it has them all. We also do not have a cable set top box. The dorm hall that will be using this does not use cable set boxs on the TVs.

Hopefully that's enough info so any ideas on how I can go straight from the cable outlet to the projector?

mavroxur

Distinguished
Something like this is what you need

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260022

It supports both analog QAM cable and digital broadcast OTA, and outputs to either VGA or Component. Almost all projectors have VGA, so if yours does, this would fit the bill. Of course, I would need the model of your projector to promise it will work, but this is the basic idea of what you need.

Solution

golf-guy16

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Do new HDTV's have digital tuners built in, or is that why set top cable boxes are required.

From my university's website "UMTV Cable is already broadcasting DTV/HDTV signals, using the "HDTV" standard (also known as 64QAM). UMTV Cable's channels are all free and are broadcast "in the clear" without encryption." so does that mean that, all channels are broadcasted in analog?

Sorry, but I don't really know much about cable or TV's.

mavroxur

Distinguished
All current generation TV's have digital-capable tuners, since the DTV transition a few years back here in the US. Now, there's a difference between OTA digital and digital cable. Not all cable provider's "digital cable" is the same, and most require set-top boxes to utilize their service. A few providers offer cable cards, and compatible TV's that have a cable card slot can use them to tune digital tiers, but features like on-demand, pay-per-view, and interactive guides aren't supported by cable cards. If the provider is broadcasting basic digital without any encryption, then any tv with a QAM digital tuner should be just fine.