[SOLVED] Two 22" monitor with 27" iMac: Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

askschwa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I want to purchase a 27" iMac and use it for some casual gaming. (Valve + minecraft). I have two 22" 1080p monitors I wand to connect to it so I get three displays. Will I run into any problems playing a game spread across all the monitors?

Will the different screen resolutions of the monitors (iMac vs other) cause problems?

Solution
I'm hoping you would downsize your main Apple display to match the resolutions of the 2x 22in displays' so that it's all the same, if they don't match. So you have the newest 27in iMac correct? You would have to use Thunderbolt to run the 2 extra monitors to make the 3 monitor setup.

Here's a video form Engadget in which they're doing the same thing, except the with 30in displays:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/03/apple-imac-hands-on-with-dual-30-inch-displays-video/

I didn't watch the video, but the thing i would wonder about is if the graphics card can run 3 displays at once, and especially if the game you want to play can handle a resolution that large. I would be curious to see it all work though, because that must be a nice...

crapfacednoob

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Excuse me for this but ishyddt.
Sorry.

Now, first as always, please provide more details about which iMac you are going to buy and we can evaluate their performance.

Second of all, could you tell us is it absolutely necessary for you to buy an iMac.

Lastly, could you tell us the max resolutions of those two 22" monitors that you currently have.

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I'm hoping you would downsize your main Apple display to match the resolutions of the 2x 22in displays' so that it's all the same, if they don't match. So you have the newest 27in iMac correct? You would have to use Thunderbolt to run the 2 extra monitors to make the 3 monitor setup.

Here's a video form Engadget in which they're doing the same thing, except the with 30in displays:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/03/apple-imac-hands-on-with-dual-30-inch-displays-video/

I didn't watch the video, but the thing i would wonder about is if the graphics card can run 3 displays at once, and especially if the game you want to play can handle a resolution that large. I would be curious to see it all work though, because that must be a nice experience with some good surround sound too. Good luck

Solution

askschwa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks, for the responses. It would make sense to change the resolution of the iMac to match the monitors, but I was wondering if the different sizes of monitors would match up properly in game. I am stuck in the Apple Rumor mind games currently, and will wait (indefinitely) until the "New" 2012 iMacs are announced. --- Thought I could pick up a 2011 27" iMac refurbished from Apple for a pretty good price, so I was wondering if anyone had tried this type of set up before.

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012

I honestly would purchase a PC for gaming, then put multiple GPUs into the tower to achieve the maximum amount of monitors possible, but i can agree it would be a pretty sweet set-up. Matching the 27in iMac's display to 2x 22in displays might look blown out compared to the 22in; i personally think you should look into monitors that are the same size, or close to it with the iMac, much like in the Engadget video.

In regards to waiting for the new iMac, that's going to have the new retina display probably, and i had read that not many apps, and especially games, can handle those high resolutions. If you want to do a 3 display config with the Retina, then you'll really have to dumb down the resolution on the iMac to match the external monitors, and it might really look off.

Now it might be funny if you placed your iMac really far back on the desk, so that, at a distance, it would look as if it was the same size as the 22in screens, but you're going to have to have good eyes to appreciate the detail being used on that screen.

What game or games are you planning on using this setup for?

Status
Not open for further replies.