Two different GPUs for two monitors with different refresh rates?

Pirouz

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi everyone,
With the help of this community I decided to upgrade my GPU from GTX760 OC to GTX980ti hybrid, and at the same time I decided to buy a 144hz monitor to take advantage of the added horsepower.
I wanted to use the new monitor for games and have the old one to the side for mostly text and webpages while in-game. But when I connected both displays to the 980, Nvidia control panel only lets me run the new monitor at 60hz and it can only go up to 144hz if I disconnect the old monitor. (clarification: i'm not using Nvidia surround, Just normal extended display mode)

So now my question is, should I add in the 760 in the second PCIe slot and connect the old monitor to that one (or even the on-board motherboard graphics)? Would that let me use the new monitor at 144hz and the old one at 60hz?
I don't expect this to improve performance at all since they can't be SLI bridged, I just want to use the second monitor for non-gaming stuff.

If it's possible, how should I set it up in the Nvidia settings?

Here are the specs and info:

• Asus Hero VI
    16GB RAM
    4770k not oc yet
    old GPU: Asus 760 OC
    new GPU: evga 980ti Hybrid
    new monitor (1440p - 144hz): Asus rog swift PG278Q - Connected via display port
    old monitor (1080p - 60hz): BenQ EW2440L - only has hdmi and DVI
I really appreciate the input, this forum never fails to help me :)

Solution
It should. Not 100% but just try it. Won't hurt anything to use onboard or your 760. i would use onboard though if it just for text stuff. this way your 760 isn't hogging PCIe lanes for your 980 and also taxing your PSU more
It should. Not 100% but just try it. Won't hurt anything to use onboard or your 760. i would use onboard though if it just for text stuff. this way your 760 isn't hogging PCIe lanes for your 980 and also taxing your PSU more

Solution

Pirouz

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Thanks a lot, i just tried it with integrated graphics and it worked perfectly - had to tweak the bios to make it work