[SOLVED] Two Different Network Connections to one Computer

Jan 14, 2020
Hey! I am having a question. My computer has one Network running from an ethernet port and a second Network from a wifi receiver. ( Both have different Internal IP)Everything is working fine but it just gets a little laggy when users transfer data from that second connection (because its through wifi). Could i use a network to usb adapter to connect it straight to the second ethernet cable (as i dont have a second ethernet port from the motherboard) so i can get higher speed on data transfer through my second connection and removing the wifi receiver?

Solution
You can use a usb nic, but you can also just install another pcie nic that would be even faster (because it doesn't have to go through the usb abstraction layer), and it would definitely improve the speeds.
"Could i use a network to usb adapter to connect it straight to the second ethernet cable ..."

Yes absolutely...just make sure you check the speed specs on the adapter you buy...many cheaper usb adapters have rather low speed throughput.
Also the problem with usb is that if they are usb 2.0, you will at the max only get half of gigabit bandwidth due to the 480Mbps limit of usb 2.0. Hence why I recommend a regular old pcie card if you have the space. Installation is pretty much the same too as both are plug and play.

Reactions: Chris Meli

kanewolf

Titan
Hey! I am having a question. My computer has one Network running from an ethernet port and a second Network from a wifi receiver. ( Both have different Internal IP)Everything is working fine but it just gets a little laggy when users transfer data from that second connection (because its through wifi). Could i use a network to usb adapter to connect it straight to the second ethernet cable (as i dont have a second ethernet port from the motherboard) so i can get higher speed on data transfer through my second connection and removing the wifi receiver?
You are using your PC as a router. If you are going to buy hardware, then buy a router. OR if you don't need your PC to be a router, then just buy an ethernet switch.
Using your PC as a router is a waste of resources.

Reactions: captaincharisma

kanewolf

Titan
It doesn't sounds like it to me. Sounds like a different network is simply using the OP's system as a file server.
"Users transfer data" could be interpreted that way. Or it could be interpreted as users transfer data through his PC acting as a connection share. I interpreted it the latter. If it is the first, then the question is why are two networks required?

"Users transfer data" could be interpreted that way. Or it could be interpreted as users transfer data through his PC acting as a connection share. I interpreted it the latter. If it is the first, then the question is why are two networks required?
I haven't seen anyone routing using their PC since the days of shared dial-up, and also by the OPs inclusion of both networks being on different subnets, I was gathering that they know about routing and aren't using their PC as such.

There's several different reasons for 2 networks, the main reason I see today is security.

USAFRet

Titan
That's not the OPs question though. And depending on how secure the networks are or the set up is, they may not be able to tell us. I know I can't for the sites where I've got 2 parallel networks.
"so i can get higher speed on data transfer through my second connection and removing the wifi receiver? "

Often, the question asked leads to other issues not stated.

Can he do away with the WiFi in favor of USB ethernet? Probably.

I'm just asking why the need for the 2 connections.
There may indeed be a need for that.
Or it may be that his cousin Jimmy, the computer whiz kid, told him he had to have 2 to allow other systems access to files on that system.

Sometimes a little digging leads to a better setup.

"so i can get higher speed on data transfer through my second connection and removing the wifi receiver? "

Often, the question asked leads to other issues not stated.

Can he do away with the WiFi in favor of USB ethernet? Probably.

I'm just asking why the need for the 2 connections.
There may indeed be a need for that.
Or it may be that his cousin Jimmy, the computer whiz kid, told him he had to have 2 to allow other systems access to files on that system.

Sometimes a little digging leads to a better setup.
True, but I'm a big proponent of 'not trying to fix what isn't broken'. Attempting to re-engineer working setups (even when non-optimal) can lead to enormous amounts of downtime.

Jan 14, 2020
Sorry guys, i was just reading the comments. First of all, thank you for your prompt answers. The reason for two networks is security! The first network has security cameras and on the second network we run a sql server! Maybe i ll open up the computer to check if i can place a second network adapter on the motherboard otherwise i d have to go and get a usb to ethernet adaptor as you said. Thank you a lot for your replies and interest!

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Jan 14, 2020
You are using your PC as a router. If you are going to buy hardware, then buy a router. OR if you don't need your PC to be a router, then just buy an ethernet switch.
Using your PC as a router is a waste of resources.
ah no! I am not using it as a router! i am just running two different networks!

kanewolf

Titan
ah no! I am not using it as a router! i am just running two different networks!
You may want to. Your second connection has a set of protocols (FTP, SMB, SSL) you would be much more secure using a router and port forwarding ONLY the required protocols. That would prevent someone from attempting to remote desktop to the "server". Just having a second network has no protocol protections. ANY protocol is permitted on the second network currently. Having a router and making the second network the "WAN" would allow you to have much greater security than you currently have. Not required, but it is an enhancement.

Jan 14, 2020
You may want to. Your second connection has a set of protocols (FTP, SMB, SSL) you would be much more secure using a router and port forwarding ONLY the required protocols. That would prevent someone from attempting to remote desktop to the "server". Just having a second network has no protocol protections. ANY protocol is permitted on the second network currently. Having a router and making the second network the "WAN" would allow you to have much greater security than you currently have. Not required, but it is an enhancement.
Thank you i will definitely look into that! My main question was if i could use an usb network adapter to get better speeds over data transfer! You all have pretty much covered me!

Sorry guys, i was just reading the comments. First of all, thank you for your prompt answers. The reason for two networks is security! The first network has security cameras and on the second network we run a sql server! Maybe i ll open up the computer to check if i can place a second network adapter on the motherboard otherwise i d have to go and get a usb to ethernet adaptor as you said. Thank you a lot for your replies and interest!
Glad to be of help. :)

And even if all you have is a pcie x1 or older pci slot, you can still get gigabit network cards for these. :) And they will be plug and play easy too. :)