Question Two different wifi adapter two different results

Sep 12, 2022
I recently upgraded my pc which came with a built-in wifi adapter. The one is question is an intel AC 9462. However, this one has a pretty rough time staying connected and constantly disconnects.

So, I bought a TP Link wifi adapter. This one has much better connection and rarely ever disconnects, but now with this one I'm getting lag spikes while gaming which I don't get with the other adapter. I really have no idea what could be the problem. Also, I'm on windows 11.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
I would assume that you get massive lag spikes when the first adapter disconnects?

Some adapters tolerate errors better than others. The lag spikes in a game are ether caused by packet loss or inconsistent latency between packets. Packets that are damaged on wifi are retransmited, unlike any other network type. The re transmission takes some time which is what causes the inconsistent latency.

You could test for this by leaving a constant ping run to your router IP in a background cmd window.

Games are extremely susceptible to latency issues which is why it is recommended to never use wifi for online games.

Not sure you have few options. You try other radio channels or maybe try the other radio band 2.4 or 5. Games don't care about speed so you might get better results on 2.4 even though downloads will be slower.

Your best long term option is to try to find a way to not use wifi. If you have coax in both rooms you can consider MoCA or you can look at powerline networks. The newer units with 1000 or 2000 numbers work well in most houses.

I recently upgraded my pc which came with a built-in wifi adapter. The one is question is an intel AC 9462. However, this one has a pretty rough time staying connected and constantly disconnects.

So, I bought a TP Link wifi adapter. This one has much better connection and rarely ever disconnects, but now with this one I'm getting lag spikes while gaming which I don't get with the other adapter. I really have no idea what could be the problem. Also, I'm on windows 11.

Any help would be appreciated
Wifi depends a lot on what kind of antenna the adapter has. Also, personally I do not believe being on Windows 11 as a positive factor.