[SOLVED] Two Gateways

Sep 15, 2020
Here is the setting...in a prison. There are two networks...the camera network which is 192.168.x.x with a gateway of 192.168.x.1

Then there is the prison network 10.X.X.X with gateway of 10.x.x.1.

Multiple NVRs on site. Each with two NICs(one for each network). One nic goes directly to the camera lan router...the other directly to the prison router. The issue they are having is that soon as they try and enable both gateways on any of the NVRs on site the Camera network stops working. The prison is saying that this same setup is working at every other site with the exception of this one. Any ideas?

Solution
This is getting more and more complex. They actually DO use subnet with each vlan being a different subnet.

In the end you have to somehow tell each device how to get to all the other device. This is not just the end devices every router...or switch that has router ability...must know how to get to all the different networks.

At this point all I can recommend is you get someone who has better network knowledge than you to help. There are so many really basic networking concepts you are going to have to learn it is even hard to give you a direction without spending huge amounts of time explaining what all the words mean.

If you had the basic knowledge then the challenge is translating the concepts into the configuration...

kanewolf

Titan
Here is the setting...in a prison. There are two networks...the camera network which is 192.168.x.x with a gateway of 192.168.x.1

Then there is the prison network 10.X.X.X with gateway of 10.x.x.1.

Multiple NVRs on site. Each with two NICs(one for each network). One nic goes directly to the camera lan router...the other directly to the prison router. The issue they are having is that soon as they try and enable both gateways on any of the NVRs on site the Camera network stops working. The prison is saying that this same setup is working at every other site with the exception of this one. Any ideas?
Does the 10.x.y.z network actually have an internet gateway? Or is it a private network. If so, then a gateway is not required. If more than a class C network is used then the netmask may need to be tweaked.

Sep 15, 2020
Yes it does have an internet gateway. They have tried both networks with and without gateways and it doesn't work. They also tried to use the route command to manually add a route, however I am not super knowledgeable about the route command, so I do not know if they did it correctly.

This is all going to depend on how complex this network really is.

If you have 2 simple subnets then you need to choose one network or the other to have the connection to the internet. You are only allowed to have a single default router. The other network you leave the gateway blank.

This is where a strong understanding of what a subnet is and what the mask really means helps.

If you have multiple subnets say like 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x on one interface and 10.1.1.x and 10.1.2.x on the other it gets messy very fast. You must actually tell your machine which subnets use which of the 2 gateways. When it get very complex when you have hundreds of subnets this is why routing protocols exist so you don't have to key is massive lists.

Sep 15, 2020
I believe there are 5 camera subnets at this location. There are 4 separate buildings with cameras and clients as well as an admin subnet which contains all the switches and the server. The setup they use is one fiber SFP switch as a gateway router for each subnet ie... 192.168.x.1. X=0-4

This camera network also does not have any outside connections...no internet at all.

As to the prison network... i do not have any information about it as they contract via another vendor.

kanewolf

Titan
I believe there are 5 camera subnets at this location. There are 4 separate buildings with cameras and clients as well as an admin subnet which contains all the switches and the server. The setup they use is one fiber SFP switch as a gateway router for each subnet ie... 192.168.x.1. X=0-4

This camera network also does not have any outside connections...no internet at all.

As to the prison network... i do not have any information about it as they contract via another vendor.
This is what I asked above. Your answer was different.
With no internet on the camera subnets, the gateway should be blank. Then the subnet mask tweaked to allow acess to all the camera subnets.

Sep 15, 2020
This is what I asked above. Your answer was different.
With no internet on the camera subnets, the gateway should be blank. Then the subnet mask tweaked to allow acess to all the camera subnets.

Ok, I apologize. I am not on site so I was just going by what I was being told by their tech guy who is more of an electronics tech than an IT guy. After more discussion I realized they do not use subnets...each building is its own island which is why they use the SFP gateway.

So they have building "X"

Gateway 192.168.X.1

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Switch ports 1-22 are VLAN "X" ports 23&24 are trunk ports on their admin VLAN which connects to the gateway via fiber.

Every building has the same setup.

Last edited:
This is getting more and more complex. They actually DO use subnet with each vlan being a different subnet.

In the end you have to somehow tell each device how to get to all the other device. This is not just the end devices every router...or switch that has router ability...must know how to get to all the different networks.

At this point all I can recommend is you get someone who has better network knowledge than you to help. There are so many really basic networking concepts you are going to have to learn it is even hard to give you a direction without spending huge amounts of time explaining what all the words mean.

If you had the basic knowledge then the challenge is translating the concepts into the configuration commands the router/switches and the NVR boxes need. Some commercial networking equipment can be very complex to get configured.

Having to learn both the concept as well as learning all the details of equipment is going to be quite a effort.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS