Question Two MSI motherboards, ARBG & RGB, and Windows 11 OEM activation

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have made this way more complicated than it needs to be, so hopefully my efforts at clarity will at least be appreciated. :) I want to swap motherboards because of ARGB but not lose an activated version of Windows 11 Pro. I do not care which one remains activated.

This is really about one motherboard (MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbin IC) being ARGB and another (MSI Z390-A Pro) being only RGB. The MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbin IC having an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 card also matters, but I bet that card can be plugged into the MSI Z390-A Pro. The new build needs WIFI; the existing one does not.

The MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbin IC is currently set up and running in an old, giant, CoolerMaster case with no glass siding and no internal ARGB lighting, set up as an extra computer in my garage where no one really appreciates the lighting anyway.; it has ARGB but does not use it. The MSI Z390-A Pro with only RGB is about to go into a nice case with a glass side and ARGB lighting from a Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, set up for my daughter as a primary computer.

So I want to swap motherboards for the builds. This is really no problem; I have built tons of computers like most uses here.

But the MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbin IC build currently has an activated version of Windows 11 Pro on a 512GB M.2 drive. I bought the M.2 used locally and got the motherboard off eBay. And Windows 11 activated on its own even when installed using a local account. I would rather not lose that activated version of Windows 11 Pro. I originally thought the Windows 11 activation came from the M.2, taken from an ACER laptop, but I have read that it was likely hardcoded to the motherboard.

I would like it if one of these two computers came away with an activated version of Windows 11 Pro. If I swap motherboards and reinstall Windows 11 Pro using the same M.2 SSD from the MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbin IC current setup, but on a different motherboard, the MSI Z390-A Pro, will Windows 11 Pro not be activated? Are the chipsets close enough to boot it up and lets an update correct the drivers? I hate that idea.

If I use a new M.2 and install Windows 11 Pro on the MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbin IC from the current build, will Windows 11 Pro be activated there?

Of will neither of the two new builds be activated?

What is the best way to figure this out so that if it fails, I just put the original MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbin IC system with Windows 11 Pro activated all back together and just say screw that ARGB lighting for my daughter's computer.

Thanks