[SOLVED] Two of the same 2X8 kits - 32g in total - issues?

Dayzzz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
Hello all!

I searched the forums, couldn't get a straight answer... I'm sure some1 asked this before, but I want to be 200% sure!

I bought a new PC from Amazon, built it myself, all fine n' dandy.
During choosing my components i thought a lot about 16 vs 32 of ram, and I decided to go with 2X8 (G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-16GVK).

Now I changed my mind, it's already installed and running, but i don't want to sell it and get 32g with 2x16.

I want to buy another of the exact same type of ram sticks, so it will be 4x8, the question is - is this problematic? if i never OC it, or if i'll OC in the future, does XMP count as OC?
will i have to change or update something in the BIOS after plugging in those extra 2 ram sticks?

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
If you don't need it now, why not just wait until if/when you do? I don't really see any point to doing it preemptively. Who knows, maybe it'll be time for a new platform and DDR5 by the time you need more RAM.
We cannot give a definite answer, you can only test it. It might work, there is probably a good chance it will be stable. However there is a risk of have stability issues. RAM in only guaranteed to work in the kit it is sold. I’ve mixed RAM and it’s worked, however on one occasion I mixed 2 kits of same make and model (2x4gb)+(2x4gb) and the combination was unstable.

Now I changed my mind, it's already installed and running, but i don't want to sell it and get 32g with 2x16.

I want to buy another of the exact same type of ram sticks, so it will be 4x8, the question is - is this problematic? if i never OC it, or if i'll OC in the future, does XMP count as OC?
will i have to change or update something in the BIOS after plugging in those extra 2 ram sticks?

Many thanks in advance!
It is not recommended to mix RAM modules that were not tested to work together, since it is hard to predict the outcome.
You could never be sure to get the same exact (tested) pair unless you buy them together like the one you bought 2 x 8GB (16GB) kit.
Even though you think you're getting the same model, the IC chip might not match the one you already have and they might not work together.
You might need to manually adjust timings and voltages in the BIOS to get them to run in dual channel, and even then they could default to a lower speed.

To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.
That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that type of configuration.

Last edited:

Dayzzz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
at the moment i dont need it, but i'm thinking a little about future-proofing... I change PC's every 5-7 years, i try to future proof as much as possible.
there's also a chance i'll changing my programming direction to gaming, working with unity or others, so i would need more mem.

or if u want the normal answer - i wanna see how much Chrome can eat up :D