Question Two OS on two hard drives

george03_

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
hi lads, I’ve got a question to ask
Is it possible to use TWO operating systems on two seperate hard drives? I have windows 10 currently on my SSD and I want to install Windows 7 on my HDD, I do have some folders and stuff currently stored on my HDD, do I just run the windows 7 installer through my BIOS (load via USB) and select my HDD? Will this affect anything on my SSD?

thank you

Mar 19, 2019
In short, yes you can, and no it shouldn't affect ssd. This is called dual boot, and is actually quite common. Your safest bet is to unplug your main ssd while powered down. Then boot the windows installer, and select the harddrive you want to install to. I would personally advise, formatting that hard drive and only having windows seven on it but that's just me. After it installs, and you verify it boots, power down, reconnect your ssd, and set it as your primary boot device. Then whenever you want to boot to 7, just restart, and use the boot manager at the start of boot to choose the drive 7 is on. I'm sure there is a way to make your computer prompt you for which boot drive you want at EVERY startup, but i've never done it that way so that's not currently within my knowledge. Im probably gonna research it now though lol. You can also dual boot with two OS on the same drive as well, IIRC.

george03_

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
In short, yes you can, and no it shouldn't affect ssd. This is called dual boot, and is actually quite common. Your safest bet is to unplug your main ssd while powered down. Then boot the windows installer, and select the harddrive you want to install to. I would personally advise, formatting that hard drive and only having windows seven on it but that's just me. After it installs, and you verify it boots, power down, reconnect your ssd, and set it as your primary boot device. Then whenever you want to boot to 7, just restart, and use the boot manager at the start of boot to choose the drive 7 is on. I'm sure there is a way to make your computer prompt you for which boot drive you want at EVERY startup, but i've never done it that way so that's not currently within my knowledge. Im probably gonna research it now though lol. You can also dual boot with two OS on the same drive as well, IIRC.
Thank you for your response, is there anyway I can disable my SSD without taking it out? Since it's installed in a M.2 slot with a heatsink over it, it will be a hassle to take out.

Mar 19, 2019
Thank you for your response, is there anyway I can disable my SSD without taking it out? Since it's installed in a M.2 slot with a heatsink over it, it will be a hassle to take out.

You dont need to disable it at all, it was just a suggestion to make sure no accidents happen resulting in installing to that drive by mistake. For safety ya know? The easiest way, imo, is to just unplug the cable from it if you can get to that, dont need to take it out. Possibly inside the bios, under boot devices you could disable it in the boot list, but the install for 7 would still see it as selectable