Two OS, Two HD

bluepan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I can't believe I have to ask for help on this but I must be missing something. I have Windows 7 32 bit installed on one hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit installed on another hard drive.

On the MB, 32 bit is in SATA position 0 and 64 bit is in position 1. I want to remove the HD with 32bit but for the life of me I can't get my machine to boot to the 64 bit HD, I tried changing the boot order and switching the position to 0. When I turn it on it gives the please insert boot media message. Both HDs have full OS installs and I can dual boot with no problems. I feel like such a noob but I'm not sure what I'm missing.

This happens when I unplug the 32 bit HD from the MB and only the 64 bit HD is plugged in. When I plug the old HD in, it dual boots again fine.

I wanted to add that it only happens when I unplug the 32 bit HD.

^That's a good possibility as any.

Before multi-Boot BIOS was available, Windows has a multi-OS boot feature built-in, but still it assumes it should always start from HD0, then a selection screen popups asking continue Booting from This OS, or That OS.

bluepan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
The 32bit was the only drive when I added the 64bit drive. Interesting that there is a potential it could still write boot files to another drive. I guess the original 0 dive keeps a high priority even though a fresh OS is installed on another drive. So no way around this without disconnecting the 32bit and either repair or reinstall. I'll try a repair first. Thanks for the input!