[SOLVED] Two pairs of RAM but same speed?

Jul 16, 2020
Hello. I have 2x4gb 1600Mhz Samsung memory, I was wondering if I could add a pair of 8gb memory clocked at the same speed without running into issues or it would be better if I bought another pair of the same 4gb RAMs I already own? It is really important to me since getting the 8gb pair would give me headroom for more upgrade that I don't have the money for yet.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-3770
Gigabyte GA P67A-UD3-B3

Solution
So something about how dual channel works I don't seem to have understood... Aren't the 4 sockets two dual channel sockets? If all 4 sockets are connected why isn't it called quad channel?

When you look at the motherboard manual you'll notice they reference each slot as A1, B1, A2, B2 - this is showing that there are 2 memory lanes for each channel but they are still DUAL channels since each channel has 2 slots for them. Just because there are 4 slots does not mean it's quad channel, 2 sticks per channel, thus dual channel. Quad channel is when there are 4 sticks per channel, as the name suggests.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
4gb | 8gb | 4gb | 8gb

Or

8gb | 4gb | 8gb | 4gb

Good chance it'll work either way, more so if keep timings the same and dual channel won't be dropped across both channels.

There is a chance mixing ram might cause issues. Won't know until you try.

Worse case, mixing doesn't work but you'll have a pair of 8s. That's still a significant improvement over a total of 8gb.

Jul 16, 2020
It'll work but you may lose out on a little bit of performance since this will disrupt the dual channel mode you have going on. It'll still function well, but it's always best practice to have all the sticks the same size and model.
So something about how dual channel works I don't seem to have understood... Aren't the 4 sockets two dual channel sockets? If all 4 sockets are connected why isn't it called quad channel?

Jul 16, 2020
4gb | 8gb | 4gb | 8gb

Or

8gb | 4gb | 8gb | 4gb

Good chance it'll work either way, more so if keep timings the same and dual channel won't be dropped across both channels.

There is a chance mixing ram might cause issues. Won't know until you try.

Worse case, mixing doesn't work but you'll have a pair of 8s. That's still a significant improvement over a total of 8gb.
So if I was to change the timings so they match, which one would you advise, lower the timings to match the faster pair or raise the numbers to match the slower pair?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard most likely do the adjustments itself to match the slower pair. Start out like this and see how it goes, if it posts. If all is well then yeah, probably could do some tinkering and see what you can get.

Automatic settings be probably fine though.

When you look at the motherboard manual you'll notice they reference each slot as A1, B1, A2, B2 - this is showing that there are 2 memory lanes for each channel but they are still DUAL channels since each channel has 2 slots for them. Just because there are 4 slots does not mean it's quad channel, 2 sticks per channel, thus dual channel. Quad channel is when there are 4 sticks per channel, as the name suggests.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador

He actually knows that. He was asking why you said it'll disrupt dual channel. I think the confusion might've been you thought he was adding a single 8gb stick, not a pair.

Jul 16, 2020
Motherboard most likely do the adjustments itself to match the slower pair. Start out like this and see how it goes, if it posts. If all is well then yeah, probably could do some tinkering and see what you can get.

Automatic settings be probably fine though.
So I'll just see what the board does first. Thanks bro I appreciate it ❤️❤️

Jul 16, 2020
I see... Thanks bro I appreciate it