two problems

vanillagorilla518

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I have a system with a 6870 in it and its a reference cooler but it idles at almost 60C and even when i move it into a cooler room and remove the side panel it still seems to be at least in the 50's and around 85 under load. Does this seem unusual ?

Also i seem to get random BSOD's every time i overclock my CPU ( its a 965 BE). I get them even if i take it from 3.4 to 3.6ghz by raising the multiplier. The higher i go OC wise the more frequent the BSOD's. I heard it might be bad ram but i did ram tests and couldn't find anything wrong.

vanillagorilla518

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
hmmm i guess thats not too bad then. The fan is pretty loud though , its even fairly audible while idling so i thought it might be sweating abit. At the time of writing this article my card is idling around 65C and im doing nothing but surfing the internet.

festerovic

Distinguished
Thats too high for idle. I have 2 x 6850s and they idle at 38*, load 60s. The first thing I do when I get new cards is change the thermal paste to something good. This also makes sure the heatsink is seated correctly because I am doing it, not the worker making hundreds a day. What brand and model is it?

Regarding the bsods - check the RAM timings, and loosen them. With such a low OC i doubt its making the system unstable, so it points at RAM.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
do you have a few decent case fans ensuring you have good airflow in ur system?

Front to back is reccomended air flow direction.

as for you OCing issues (you edited ur post after my first reply)
OC'ing is a very long process to get it right.

Do you get the BSOD's at all if you dont OC?

vanillagorilla518

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
i get 0 BSOD with no overclock. But i thought i should be able to raise the multiplier up abd get an easy .2ghz with no problem, the temperature for the CPU isnt bad even though i dont have the best cooling in the world( a basic 40 dollar case) i dont think its a heat issue.

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
post ur Whole Spec .

Case
PSU
CPU
RAM
MB
GPU
HD

EXACT Make model etc ..the more info , the more we can help
if its a cheap case , prolly has a cheap PSU in it too , that can cause problems when OC

vanillagorilla518

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
case gigabyte Ga23x7-bk
psu SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
cpu amd 969 BE
ram G.SKill ripjawz X 1866
mb GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+
Biostar 6870
WD caviar blue 750 gb

festerovic

Distinguished
even .2 ghz can make you unstable. If you have 0 problems with stock - you are OCing wrong. Carefully read the guide in the CPU section on how to do it with the right method.

I agree with your logic - should be able to get .2 ghz extra, but in a worst case scenario, you won't even be able to hit that stably.