[SOLVED] Two Questions: 1.) Is this the cable I need to connect my 2.5" SSD for power?

Mar 22, 2023
20230322-100138.jpg

2.) I need both a SATA data and power cable for the 2.5" SSD drive I want to mount inside my PC. Are they all basically same, regardless of company brand? These cables seem remarkable cheap on Amazon, with some companies even throwing in mounting brackets for good measure. I've never heard of the companies selling these cables and they all seem rather fly-by-night. Are there any brands you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Solution
yes that is the power connection for the drive.

as you've noted, there are a ton of data cables available. i usually don't buy the 99 cent ones, nor do you need the $10 ones. $2-3 each seems to be about right. not had an issue with any of the ones i have bought in the past. never really paid any attention to the brand since for the most part it is a couple companies selling them and 10,000 brand names slapped on the bag it comes in.

looking back in my history, this is the last ones i bought

worked fine. can look that brand store over and see if they have something you can use. color, 90 degree or not, length and so on are all things to look at.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

as you've noted, there are a ton of data cables available. i usually don't buy the 99 cent ones, nor do you need the $10 ones. $2-3 each seems to be about right. not had an issue with any of the ones i have bought in the past. never really paid any attention to the brand since for the most part it is a couple companies selling them and 10,000 brand names slapped on the bag it comes in.

worked fine. can look that brand store over and see if they have something you can use. color, 90 degree or not, length and so on are all things to look at.

Reactions: Joe_App
Solution
Yes, that is the sata power connector that is connected to the psu.

In theory, any sata cable will do.
Most motherboards will include a couple of suitable data cables.
The data cables can have differing arrangements for connectors.
Some are straight on.
Others may have a 90 degree connection which can be helpful in some cases.
They may be oriented either up or down.
Visualize what you need when the drive is mounted in your case.
Length may matter.
Better cables will have a securing metal clip.
Lastly, they come in different colors.
With multiple drives, I like to use different colors so I can identify the connections when mounted in a case.
Quality counts some, I would not buy the cheapest offerings.
Very old/cheap cables may not be good for a 6gbps higher speed connection.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023

Outstanding! thanks for the info and product link. That's exactly what I need.

Thanks again

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as geofelt noted, for 90 degree cables look close as it matters whether it is "right hand" or "left handed"

this will point the bend up or down. this can obviously make a cable not usable in every case. look at the drive/mobo slot and then the pic of the cable and make sure it points the right direction. little tip from someone who has had to return cables in the past for this reason 😉

Mar 22, 2023
Yes, that is the sata power connector that is connected to the psu.

In theory, any sata cable will do.
Most motherboards will include a couple of suitable data cables.
The data cables can have differing arrangements for connectors.
Some are straight on.
Others may have a 90 degree connection which can be helpful in some cases.
They bay be oriented either up or down.
Visualize what you need when the drive is mounted in your case.
Length may matter.
Better cables will have a securing metal clip.
Lastly, they come in different colors.
With multiple drives, I like to use different colors so I can identify the connections when mounted in a case.
Quality counts some, I would not buy the cheapest offerings.
Very old/cheap cables may not be good for a 6gbps higher speed connection.

That's a great suggestion, and one I'll definitely keep in mind for future reference. Luckily, I have only one drive that I need to connect. If I had more than one, however, using different colored cables for each drive sounds would be ideal solution for logical cable management.

Thank you!