Two Routers causing bandwidth problems

hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I have a standard router from my fiber provider that I have a LAN connection to. Everyone else in my house uses a wifi signal. We bought a second asus router that is supposed to boost the wifi signal, which it does do. The two routers are right next to each other. I was running the 2.4 and 5ghz bands plus my LAN connection through the asus router, with the only connection to the provider router being a 3 foot cat cable that connects it to the asus router. I recently tried to move the asus router to our hallway so everyone would get a stronger wifi signal, however I had to connect the two routers with a 50 foot cat cable and I switched my LAN connection back to the provider router that stayed in my room. But my LAN internet turned straight to shit as soon as I made the change. All I could figure was having to send the signal from the provider router to the asus router over 50 feet must take all the bandwidth leaving me with horrible internet speed. So I switched it back to the way it was, except I left my LAN connection in the provider router. And as I tried to play a video game today online using the 5ghz wireless band, my LAN internet again turned to shit, not working at all. I don't know the reason why, but it didn't seem to be the cord length, its when I have my LAN connection in the provider router while using wifi through the asus router it kills my LAN connection. So I switched my LAN connection back to the asus router and low and behold both the LAN and wireless work fine again when using both at the same time. I told you all of this to ask.
If I bought another 50 foot cat cable, put the asus router back in the hallway and had one cable go from the provider router to the asus router and the other from my computer to the asus router so that the LAN and Wifi were both going through the asus router do you know if the bandwidth would be normal and it was never the long cable causing the problem at all? Thanks for any help, sorry for the long explanation.

Not sure how you cabled it but that is the way large companies extend wifi.

You want the asus to run as a AP. It may have that feature or you can can run any router as a AP...search how to run my router as a AP.

The cable length can go to 100 meters with no issues....make sure you are using pure copper cable and not CCA.

My guess is you may have both routers using the same IP blocks or something. This is why you want to run the second device only as a AP and leave the router function in the provider router.

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
Change the channel on the asus router. They are probably uses the same channel. Also giving the models of the devices helps out a lot but just log into the routers and see what channel they are using. If both are on the same one there's part of the issue. Secondly why not disable the modems wifi entirely and just use the asus? Next if you bought a router that supports airmesh, I think that's what ASUS calls there's you can by another and create a larger stronger network. Last thing, does you modem have a gigabit port or 100Mbps? Hopefully you see where I'm going with that. Asus should be connected to the fastest port on the modem and try to use Cat 6 as it has shielding and can go farther.

PM me if you need more detailed help. Reward me with the best solution pick lol. Trying to get them badges

hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011

That fixed it, thank you so much. No one had mentioned AP mode to me, I had no idea. It was really simple. Thanks again for the help.