[SOLVED] Two similar aio's with a huge difference on graphics cards.

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Recently I have bought to Corsair H55 and the EVGA CLC 120mm AIO coolers to improve temps and acoustic levels as well as to boost performance. I tested both on my 1080ti with the Kraken G12 and i couldnt believe the difference. The CLC 120 got up to 66c on the Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark and got a score of 4234. Then i replaced it with the H55 and it only got up to 48c with almost +100 to the score! An almost 20c difference and their both 120mm aio's? How could this be possible, the EVGA aio is asetek gen 6 pump and the Corsair aio is 1 generation behind, is there any explanation for this, other than the h55 being the only one compatible with the Kraken G12?

Last edited:
Solution
No. They are both compatible. Any asetek powered aio is compatible.

There's only a handful of companies that make rads, and only a couple of pump manufacturers. Pretty much they are all the same. The only difference being the fans. For all intents and purposes there's no difference. An aio is an aio. Evga is just a brand. Scrub that brand off and you have an asetek pump on a rad. Paint any other brand on it.. Same thing.

The Evga work better at higher speeds, the Corsair at lower speeds on the fans..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. The H55 is a slimmer rad than the CLC but has similar fins per inch. So generally you'll see better performance at lower rpm with thinner rads. But you also have to account for the actual fan, the Evga is more aggressive, it does better at higher rpm. As does the rad.

Also corsair has a much broader choice and much more experience with aio designs and fans, the H55 has been around for years and has had the opertunity for tailored performance.

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Yep. The H55 is a slimmer rad than the CLC but has similar fins per inch. So generally you'll see better performance at lower rpm with thinner rads. But you also have to account for the actual fan, the Evga is more aggressive, it does better at higher rpm. As does the rad.

Also corsair has a much broader choice and much more experience with aio designs and fans, the H55 has been around for years and has had the opertunity for tailored performance.
I still don’t get how it could be possible for similar aios to account for a huge temp difference.

edit: just found out it might be because the Evga Clc isn’t designed for GPU’s and is designed for Intel CPUs. As well as not being on the compatibility is an obvious reason for the 20c difference and less performance. The clc isn’t one of the best options for GPU water cooling. So you would need to go with compatible aio if you want the best possible cooling for your GPU.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing to do with it. The gpu could care less what's cooling it, and the pump could care less what it's sitting on. It's a microfinned waterblock. It wouldn't know the difference between a Intel cpu and an amd gpu.

The biggest discrepancy is price. The H55 is generally the cheapest 120mm by a good margin and a proven reliable slim aio. So it works well for any gpu at @ 125w or less.

The G10/12 is set for an Asetek pump mount, you can use any of them, from nzxt to fractal design to Corsair. 120mm, 140, 240, 280, 360 all the same pump.

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Nothing to do with it. The gpu could care less what's cooling it, and the pump could care less what it's sitting on. It's a microfinned waterblock. It wouldn't know the difference between a Intel cpu and an amd gpu.

The biggest discrepancy is price. The H55 is generally the cheapest 120mm by a good margin and a proven reliable slim aio. So it works well for any gpu at @ 125w or less.

The G10/12 is set for an Asetek pump mount, you can use any of them, from nzxt to fractal design to Corsair. 120mm, 140, 240, 280, 360 all the same pump.
Yes, but the thing is that there is literally a 20c difference between the evga clc 120 and the h55, and the h55 outperforms it as wel, which confuses me. Like thats insane for two 120mm AIO's to be so different, so i guess that 1 is compatible and the other isnt really matters.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

There's only a handful of companies that make rads, and only a couple of pump manufacturers. Pretty much they are all the same. The only difference being the fans. For all intents and purposes there's no difference. An aio is an aio. Evga is just a brand. Scrub that brand off and you have an asetek pump on a rad. Paint any other brand on it.. Same thing.

The Evga work better at higher speeds, the Corsair at lower speeds on the fans..

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017

I used both the h55 pump and the evga pump both at 100% speeds and their fans too, so why does the h55 still get so much better temps than the evga?

here are some excerpts reviews about the h55 using the 1080ti

"My 1080 TI now sits at idle of 19C in a 72F Ambient Temp room. when I game it never goes over 54C, seriously!!! I even added 125Mhz to the clock to bump it up to 2025Mhz, still it runs 54C, and my FPS stays much more consistent while gaming"

"Installed this on a PNY GTX 1080ti (Blower edition) paired with a Corsair H55 in a push/pull config. Running it under full load and it so far hasn't even gotten beyond 45c. "

"So I was overclocking my Zotac 1080 ti Amp Edtion and was watching the temps hitting 80+ C on the GPU...Since the installation I haven't seen the GPU get any hotter than 47 degrees no matter what I do!"

"it went from the hight 80s C down to 48 C, almost 40 C degree difference. wow i was super happy. i used a corsair h55 with the g12 and they pair up good. "

"
MSI 1080 Ti Aero here. Silent with no load but becomes a Husquarna leaf blower during gaming. Had to summon the Kraken. In the pictures you will observe heatsinks, GPU PWM adapter cable and Corsair H55.
Before: 29C idle, gaming delved into 80s (Anno 1800 in 4K), high 60s and mid-70s (GW2 in 4K) - all settings maxed.
After: 24C idle, gaming 50C and 40C max respectively for the above.

And this is on stock H55 fan (low RPM non-PWM). "

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dunno, I've never seen that kind of difference in any aio setup at 100%, so the only thing I can think of is the Evga had old paste or you didn't install the pump right, because they are usually within @ 5°C± of each other. All the aio sizes are.

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Dunno, I've never seen that kind of difference in any aio setup at 100%, so the only thing I can think of is the Evga had old paste or you didn't install the pump right, because they are usually within @ 5°C± of each other. All the aio sizes are.
I completely wiped off pre-applied paste on both aio's and placed a good amount of Noctua Nt-h1 paste on both gpu dyes between switching them. I screwed them in both correct and also minding to not screw in in until there is literally no more turning the screws since it would damage the dye.

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Also it’s worth mentioning saying that NZXT doesn’t even have their own 120mm marked as compatible, it also has the Asetek gen 6 pump... just like the evga 120. The h55 and clc almost have similar idle temps (h55 is 29c and clc is 33c, even on the hot days), they differ greatly on graphics cards and the H55 is just best for the 1080ti and the clc is better for the CPU.

Last edited:

memmeeyee

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Also the EVGA aio hosing tubes feel as hot as the radiator itself, the h55 tubes feel like their as cool as the gpu.