[SOLVED] Two SSD failures in a week, suggestions?

Oct 13, 2020
Looking for some suggestions.

I had a 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD pack in out of the blue last week, like literally last Tuesday at around this time. I use it for gaming stuff and was in a game and the game locked up and dropped me back to desktop. I tried to launch the game again, assuming it had crashed, and Steam said the exe was missing.
Drive had vanished from explorer, disk manager, device manager, tried swapping SATA and power cables around with functional drives but even BIOS wouldn't detect the drive. I tried an external USB adapter I had sitting around and it wasn't being detected by Windows but the drive was making a strange buzzing sound. Wrote it off as disk failure as the drive was a couple of years old and gets a lot of read/write operations, I hadn't truly been paying attention to it's current status... sad but not a major issue as it wasn't an OS or data drive.

I ordered a replacement 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD that night, installed it, installed just a couple of the games on to it that I had previously and it seemed fine.
Then tonight, Tuesday again, one week later, I was in a game (different game) and the game locked up, dropped me to desktop and when trying to launch it again Steam reports missing exe file.
The new drive went missing from explorer, disk manager, device manager. Hadn't run any of the other tests on it yet as I came here first to get advice.
However as I was typing up this post, the drive suddenly reappeared and seems to be functional again...

To note, for the new drive which just went strange I currently have HWiNFO running in the background and although the drive was missing from everywhere else I could expect to find it, HWiNFO log still showed that the drive's SMART feedback was reading normal, temp was good at max 33C, average 25C. Drive life remaining 100%, no warnings returned... I didn't think to check this last time for the old drive so have no comparison for that.

So, is my new drive about to pack in? Is there something else which could cause this similar problem on two SSDs exactly 7 days apart? Nothing else hardware or software related was changed about the PC for at least several weeks running up to the original failure.

Other system specs:
MB: ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
CPU: i7-7700K
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance 3200
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 4G Gaming
Driver version: 452.06
PSU: EVGA SN 650 G2
Other Drives:
1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
3TB Samsung HDD
2TB Seagate SSHDD ST2000DX002

Last edited:
Solution
That's very odd.

But, let's hope it's just a coincidence, bad luck, etc.. (I've used 15-20 of the MX500 drives without issue, but, certainly someone could get 2 bad ones....; if the other issue happens again, let's hope it was a cable reseat/port swap...; but, if using other cables/port, it happens again, and the problem clearly follows the drive, I'd RMA it, as you'd have no real choice.)

I'd maybe consider testing it without the spinning drive's attached if it reoccurs, I've seen partially failing/difficulty reading spinning drives drag down an entire system in short order...)

But...good luck to no repeats/reoccurrences on this issue!
That's very odd.

But, let's hope it's just a coincidence, bad luck, etc.. (I've used 15-20 of the MX500 drives without issue, but, certainly someone could get 2 bad ones....; if the other issue happens again, let's hope it was a cable reseat/port swap...; but, if using other cables/port, it happens again, and the problem clearly follows the drive, I'd RMA it, as you'd have no real choice.)

I'd maybe consider testing it without the spinning drive's attached if it reoccurs, I've seen partially failing/difficulty reading spinning drives drag down an entire system in short order...)

But...good luck to no repeats/reoccurrences on this issue!

Solution