U.S. Cables Companies Preparing to Allow Game Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudemcduderson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Wake me up when we can do this with 3 monitor 2560x1440. Seriously though I have played streaming games already at what they call 720p but it looks like complete cabbage (even for 720).

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
How about streaming educational software? For kids and adults alike? TV is such crap nowadays it needs less "entertainment" (read: diversion) and more curiosity-inspiring programs. Even current "educational" channels are filled with realities and science fiction.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Call me when they bring latency and packet loss down to acceptable levels. The only time I can play multiplayer games is when nobody else is using the '20 Mb/s down 8 Mb/s up' broadband.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Call me when they bring latency and packet loss down to acceptable levels. The only time I can play multiplayer games is when nobody else is using the '20 Mb/s down 8 Mb/s up' broadband.[/citation]

Sounds like your ISP needs to implement QoS. Any ISP that also offers digital phone service already has the QoS hardware (federal requirement to keep the torrenter down the road from making your 911 call disconnect), they just need to add additional ports/protocols in the priority list other than voice.

I see this as BigCable trying to choke the competition. Since Gaming has put a hurt on their profits, its time for a turnaround and BigCable to compete against them directly. And honestly if they can do it better then good. Super game companies like Craptivision and sh-EA-t need to die and the sooner the better.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Call me when they quit with the bullshit bandwidth caps. Then we can continue the possibilities of streaming and "future gaming".

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Not excited at all, but I'll wait and see what they pull off. They do have the infrastructure and capital to pull it off, the only question is if they have the will to levy their resources on such a gamble. It could work, it could fail. They needed a new way to compete, and this seems to be their best shot. Let's see what they can do.

I remember using Onlive, I wasn't very thrilled, although the tech behind it was pretty cool; assassins creed was very playable.

Honestly, can't really see myself liking the idea of not having the game data on my PC. Steam is kind of perfect with a fast internet connection, any game downloads in less than an hour and I can mod, customize, and get many other great benefits.

What would be very awesome if console replacing set top boxes, just set it up so you just receive the data over a uncapped fast connection; I hate the slow DVR boxes.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Call me when they quit with the bullshit bandwidth caps. Then we can continue the possibilities of streaming and "future gaming".[/citation]

*You have exceeded your 10 GB cap, now auto-disconnecting your game.*

OR, more likely...

*You have exceeded your 10 GB cap, and from now on until the end of the month, we'll bill you $10 for every 1 GB over the limit. WITHOUT TELLING YOU UNTIL THE BILL ARRIVES IN THE MAIL."

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Wow, everything old is new again. Way back in the early 80's I was a programmer in an experiment to bring video games to the nascent set top box industy. We had a whopping 16k ram to work with per title. In the end, even though we had a hundred or so good for the times games it was scrapped as ram was too expensive.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The cable in the picture would not be capable of streaming games in that condition. Also AT&T and Verizon are not cable providers.
Finally, lol Time Warner. You guys are worried about reaching Time Warner's cap? Their service is so shitty that I doubt you can sufficiently get enough constant speed to reach the cap. Them and Comcast roll out on new services without upgrading their infrastructure to handle the new service.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Actually Comcast here in Georgia has suspended (at least my connection) the 250gb cap. It actually says it on my account page. Very rarely did i ever push 200gb in a month though. That is a lot of content for just one man!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Last month I chewed through over 300Gb and my BB provider didn't even blink, the UK has pretty good providers and are very cheap - USA BB sucks and they all have you by the balls

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Until the ping time of the internet technology improve, it is better to stick with the classic Single Player install on local computer than streaming single player @ 200-300ms.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]gerchokas[/nom]How about streaming educational software? For kids and adults alike? TV is such crap nowadays it needs less "entertainment" (read: diversion) and more curiosity-inspiring programs. Even current "educational" channels are filled with realities and science fiction.[/citation]

Even if they do, kids these days would prefer to watch all those crap on MTV...all those "reality shows*

*I don't wanna live on this plant anymore*

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Even if they do, kids these days would prefer to watch all those crap on MTV...all those "reality shows**I don't wanna live on this plant anymore*[/citation]
No kidding :lol:

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gerchokas[/nom]How about streaming educational software? For kids and adults alike? TV is such crap nowadays it needs less "entertainment" (read: diversion) and more curiosity-inspiring programs. Even current "educational" channels are filled with realities and science fiction.[/citation]
Same reason there aren't broccoli stands on the boardwalk at the beach.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
So the payoffs and back room deals have been finalized, I mean the contracts are almost finalized to make "all your gaming belong to us". You will now rent your games and never own a disk again, just what they wanted all along.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]sam_fisher[/nom]Lucky Americans, in Australia we pay a fortune for internet. $30 for 5GB at what usual speeds in the country at least of 800KBps or less.[/citation]
And you also allowed the UN to come in and take all your guns, wimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS