U.S. Galaxy S III Might Not Have Quad-core CPU with LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Well, as long as they're not made by Apple a lot of folks will like the Galaxy III just fine, no matter what the specs are. It'll sell just fine here, in the US, quad-core or not.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I WANT A QUAD CORE?! sigh they KNOW americans pay TOP DOLLAR for their phones and will even break contracts to switch carriers for a particular phone due to specs or capability, why dont they make thier phones compatable with the us first?! jeez thats annoying. I have been putting every extra quarter in my piggy bank for over 4 months and im ready to get it!

Turk021

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Could someone shed some light on this please? Why downgrade the hardware for US sales? I want a quad core phone...

halcyon

Splendid
I'm embarrassed to recount how many times I've broke a contract to switch to a phone I liked better or wanted to try. However, only us hardcore technophiles are gonna do that...not the majority. TBH, Android shouldn't need quad cores to be fast and smooth. The fact that it does is a problem to me.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]turk021[/nom]Could someone shed some light on this please? Why downgrade the hardware for US sales? I want a quad core phone...[/citation]

it says " the U.S. model would be Qualcomm-powered instead because the quad-core chips aren't yet compatible with America's LTE networks."

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom] TBH, Android shouldn't need quad cores to be fast and smooth. The fact that it does is a problem to me.[/citation]

NO PHONE needs quad core, the fact that its quad core is specifically added becuase the architecture allows it. this is a 32nm iir and is much less power expensive. Not to mention most of the time you can turn other cores off to make it less power hungry.

G

If its similar to the HTC one X, the dual-core chip from Qualcomm (2x Krait) will be faster than the quad-core from Samsung (2xARM Cortex-A15 vs 4xARM Cortex-A9)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]ang1dust[/nom]NO PHONE needs quad core, the fact that its quad core is specifically added becuase the architecture allows it. this is a 32nm iir and is much less power expensive. Not to mention most of the time you can turn other cores off to make it less power hungry.[/citation]
I disagree, from my experience with GB phones that had single and dual cores they were not smooth operating. ...often locking up and crashing. Now if you're saying ICS alone would resolve all of that, we'll have to see. I most recently had a Razr Maxx and it loved to freeze and need a reboot. It wasn't slow, but often choppy. Maybe a quad-core would've had no impact.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
So they mess up the audio chip in Galaxy S II, and now it's gonna be the messed up audio chip + dual core, insead of quad, for Galaxy S III. Nice going Samsung. Looks like I'm sticking with my original Galaxy S using Slim ICS ROM, which works super great. I'd rather make donations to the Slim ICS developer, than buying a crippled phone.. It's like the movies, where they get the first one right, but the sequels suck, except for some nice special effects.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]So they mess up the audio chip in Galaxy S II, and now it's gonna be the messed up audio chip + dual core, insead of quad, for Galaxy S III. Nice going Samsung. Looks like I'm sticking with my original Galaxy S using Slim ICS ROM, which works super great. I'd rather make donations to the Slim ICS developer, than buying a crippled phone.. It's like the movies, where they get the first one right, but the sequels suck, except for some nice special effects.[/citation]
Now wait just a cotton-pick'n minute. I've been reading in these forums how superior Samsung phones are. Are you certain you have your account of things straight?

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Now wait just a cotton-pick'n minute. I've been reading in these forums how superior Samsung phones are. Are you certain you have your account of things straight?[/citation]

Do some research on xda forums...

G

Wonders if Americans even realise they are not the biggest market in the world.... start conforming to the rest of the worlds standards or you will be left out, its pretty simple

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]EYEShurt[/nom]Wonders if Americans even realise they are not the biggest market in the world.... start conforming to the rest of the worlds standards or you will be left out, its pretty simple[/citation]

I will agree our network is behind. The other countries, ffrom what ive read have better networks than we do and CDMA is old...i know Verizon is looking to switch over to GSM or something else in the near future. Meh, thats capitolizm for you right? Bank off the lowest possible quality equipment then call the "current" service everyone has used for the past decade "new" and charge more. sigh.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]So they mess up the audio chip in Galaxy S II, and now it's gonna be the messed up audio chip + dual core, insead of quad, for Galaxy S III. Nice going Samsung. Looks like I'm sticking with my original Galaxy S using Slim ICS ROM, which works super great. I'd rather make donations to the Slim ICS developer, than buying a crippled phone.. It's like the movies, where they get the first one right, but the sequels suck, except for some nice special effects.[/citation]

The "lag" you see on these GB phones is the crap that the carriers add, the crap that motorola adds, HTC adds (SENSE) and it just bogs it down. The AOSP / CM7 / CM9 rom builds will make you think twice abou tneeding multiple cores.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]ang1dust[/nom]The "lag" you see on these GB phones is the crap that the carriers add, the crap that motorola adds, HTC adds (SENSE) and it just bogs it down. The AOSP / CM7 / CM9 rom builds will make you think twice abou tneeding multiple cores.[/citation]
I guess this wouldn't be the best time to note that iOS doesn't have this "lag" you mentioned. ...I'm just say'n.

G

Oh yeah? I buy everything international model and use it with ST. Heck, youtube loads nonstop without LTE so why bother. I'm not gunna watch netflix on the go...

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
GOOD.
hopefully this means that battery life will improve, and app developers will actually work towards more optimized apps that dont suck battery life.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]EYEShurt[/nom]Wonders if Americans even realise they are not the biggest market in the world.... start conforming to the rest of the worlds standards or you will be left out, its pretty simple[/citation]

Tell this to the British where car manufacturers have to provide special edition cars with the dashboard/steering wheel layout reversed to allow driving safely on the other side of the road.

Or tell the French to get rid of their SECAM system, or the Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc. to change their typewriter unfriendly writing style.

As technology evolves in separate markets you run into incompatibilities and switching a large market, i.e. Europe, Asia or the USA, to conform to a different standard is difficult and expensive.
Often you decide it is better to simply live with it.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
To the couple people who are complaining "where is my quad core", the S4 will be atleast as good as the Exynos quad core in all tasks but those that are perfectly parallelized (which isn't many). The reason is that the S4 has 2 krait cores (A15 like) where the Exynos Quad will use 4 A9s.

It's not a perfect comparison since the difference is actually greater in A9 v A15, but you can think of S4 as a Sandy bridge i3 and the Exynos Quad as being a Athlon II x4. The Sandy Bridge architecture in the i3 has a much greater IPC than K10.5 in the Athlon II, so the i3 can do a similar amount with just 2 cores as the AthlonII with 4 cores.

If the performance of the Exynos Quad is any amount similar to the Tegra3, I'll bet it'll be maybe 10% faster thanks to it's dual channel memory, then the S4 will actually be the more attractive chip overall. Considering the Exynos Quad still uses the Mali-400 it's not like GPU performance will be better to even it out either.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Fail country is fail.[/citation]
Hey why don't you comment that on a tech site produced in your own country? Oh right, you don't have one that's worth a crap.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Someone's butthurt. Go QQ somewhere else. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.