News U.S. lawmakers annoyed with Huawei's latest laptop with Intel Meteor Lake CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
This follows the US strategy of a slow decoupling from China - consistent criticizing of legal, sanctions-compliant activity provides the appearance of wrongdoing so as to justify the decoupling.

There is no doubt that all sides have already accepted decoupling and that is why China is redoubling its efforts to create its own semiconductor industry. I only wonder what happens if China's technology matures enough to export.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s
Apr 13, 2024
I believe there is a typo in the following paragraph.

When it comes to export controls in regards to Huawei (or any other China-based entity), there are at least two goals for the U.S. government to achieve here: preserve Huawei's access to leading-edge American technologies (to halt China's military development) and to halt (or at least slow down) Huawei's economic development so that it could not develop its high-tech might.

I assume the sentence is supposed to indicate the goal is to restrict Huawei’s access, not preserve it.

Shirou

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Not sure what they're worried about... These are consumer chips for god's sake. Every chip sold is direct profit for the U.S....
Cool technology in the laptop btw, the screen weight and thermal engineering are all pretty amazing from an engineering standpoint.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Mike Gallagher? He said he's leaving on 2024 April 19th. Is he trying to grand stand now to get hired by some news company as a correspondent?

Also, why are they mad in the first place? Those mobile Intel CPUs can't even do 40 TOPS, and are highly likely to be the worst performing compared to Snapdragon X Elite, and Ryzen 8050.

"While the concern is more than understandable, we can only wonder why Republican lawmakers were not precisely concerned in 2020 about the same Intel and Qualcomm license grant by the Donald Trump administration."

All you have to do is follow the money, and look at political contributions.
Looking at the contributions, it looks like it was Intel and Qualcomm who paid the most to keep their licenses valid.
Huawei seems to be caught in the crossfire, because they have the largest name value.

"Why did not they bother about Qualcomm's supplies to Huawei?"

These are the same bunch of people who are out of touch with how technology works. I doubt they understand how fast Qualcomm chips have gotten since 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.