News U.S.-Proposed Chip 4 Alliance Faces Opposition from Partners

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
As Henry Kissinger phrased it "it may be dangerous to be America's enemy, but to be America's friend is fatal"; using the excuse of the supply chain crisis this US administration basically tried to create an anti-Chinese coalition that first and foremost works to the benefit of American interests, it's not surprising that Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese try to keep it at arm's lenght.

motocros1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
only chance they have of this working is if a small portion from each company join a group to develop future technologies that each individual company may be having trouble with or haven't even started on yet.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
US: Let us be allies. It is good for us. Oh by the way, I am going to use this interesting technology you developed if you don't mind. I am not stealing it since we should be sharing right? Unlike China we don't steal/ exploit.

Reactions: KyaraM

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
As Henry Kissinger phrased it "it may be dangerous to be America's enemy, but to be America's friend is fatal"; using the excuse of the supply chain crisis this US administration basically tried to create an anti-Chinese coalition that first and foremost works to the benefit of American interests, it's not surprising that Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese try to keep it at arm's lenght.

None of it is surprising. All of these countries are out for themselves. There’s nothing wrong with healthy, voluntary competition.

D

Deleted member 14196

So what? USA needs to be independent and not rely on others. As was said before. Those countries are out for themselves and we’re out for ourselves too bad if you don’t like it.

if I had my way, the USA would’ve never lost these industries in the first place.

wskinny

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
Companies from Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan have concerns over the Chip 4 alliance.

U.S.-Proposed Chip 4 Alliance Faces Opposition from Partners : Read more

This can be fixed. The problem with this is the number 4 (not really, just that I like 5's and my solution adds a partner to fix all issues).
The solution is to add a 5th Partner which would be mostly "neutral" from a Technological capability standpoint and based on a politically convenient country.

It is my opinion that Ireland should be added to the mix as the country were a new business consortium is to be established with equitable equivalent participation of all companies as shareholders. No one has more or less shares or power over this new consortium.

As a base guidance rule the consortium will research using all parties technological input but will not share any proprietary secrets with businesses that could then pose a unfair challenge to the developing company unless all the related parties reach an agreement.
Such agreements would also be mediated by the consortium itself.

I see a future where this consortium smoothly leads cooperative optimization across multiple fields enabling tech otherwise impossible while also ensuring all involved parties have their knowhow safeguarded and as time passes their specific specializations will diverge yet complete each other.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
So what? USA needs to be independent and not rely on others. As was said before. Those countries are out for themselves and we’re out for ourselves too bad if you don’t like it.

if I had my way, the USA would’ve never lost these industries in the first place.

And you would be paying quadruple for everything and complaining about it all the way. Americans speak with their wallet and long ago they said we don't care what happens to the country or the world so long as we have cheap goods and services.

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015

Are you saying that if you had your way, all chip design and manufacturing would be in the US and nowhere else?

I don't think you would find that idea would be popular anywhere, except in the US.

F-minus

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
And all of those 4 depend on European ASML. Ironic isn't it.
Regardless any deals with the US should be heavily weighted, because nobody wants another Huawei scenario to happen, where the US decides for the whole world what is good or bad. So I agree if, there should be no alliance with US.

TRENDING THREADS