Question UBER slow Windows stuff on 2004 update.

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Hello every1.
Recently got 2004 update on my win 10 pro x64. First two days were ok, everything worked fine.
Today I've got something weird. At one point my Firefox stopped refreshing pages (I've got like 50 tabs, so it can get laggy), so I've though, that I'll restart it. Few seconds later my football manager also hit uber lag and basically freeze (freeze itself, without white filter from the system). Then steam lagged to death as well, then explorer.exe.

I've decided to reset pc, and after that some crazy stuff started to happening. For the beginning - loading after successful log in takes forever, pc could easily freeze itself on simply showing anything more than wallpaper (it's big, but I've never got any problems with it). Just click right mouse button and you are dead. Starting almost any program now takes forever. Now I'm trying to open speed test on both chrome (20 minutes and still refuses to OPEN) and Edge - 10 minutes and no luck to access address whatsoever. I've changed WiFi already to my smartphone hotspot - no luck.
Boot time is normal every time I restart pc, so not sure if this could be failed cable. Also - I have quite new ssd (Samsung here got about 2 years of daily usage, had not been fulfilled over 50% capability, tbw is still low. I am able to log into safe mode normally, which is also fast as it should be. But on normal mode pc is uber slow (no matter if its search window, run, cmd, desktop or anything else, it's open and then lag). Programs different that core components of the system itself runs fine, but adding anything to registry or boot options, using indexing etc slows it tremendously.

What can I do to overcome this problem? Like I've said, I've installed 2004 on Saturday, as well as some security updates for net framework and office package. No more extra updates to system. Quick scan with hijack and adw shows nothing suspicious, however, hijack found some broken connections in registry to system executables (tiering engine, msmpeng.exe, nissrv.exe, spoolsv.exe, sppsvc.exe, sgrmbroker.exe and few others) and says that the file is missing. For example, simple add to run program onto next boot went fine, but next option with choosing to reboot now took my pc few minutes to show up. Now I'm trying to access control panel - I've typed that in search box in settings (where I was able to get in no time) and I'm waiting over 3 minutes now for any result. The same applies to search bar. Albo - my backups from prę 2004 versions are now missing. My windows update struggles to load its main page after 2 minutes (it is not freezed, just "doing" something.
How to overcome this problem? Simply roll back to 1809 or try to do something different?
Specs - ryzen 5 3600, 32 GB ddr4 3200, prime b 350 plus, gtx 1070.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if this is part of it - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...t-defragger-bug-defrags-ssd-drives-too-often/

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

2004 includes a new indexing system. It should have recreated it on the initial boot after the install.
What drives have you got? ssd? nvme? hdd?

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
I've just wanted to post it here. I've found some other proposions to resolve similar problems (not entirely this one, but it appears that win10 can screw itself in so many different ways).
I've just finished dism command (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth) and sfc /scannow after that. First operation went success, the second one did not show any errors.
I'll check in a moment, if this done the job. However, I already got one freeze of explorer.exe on my first try to access the pc today. I've also encountered, that my pc on initial boot told me, that there were post fail, but quick check in uefi does not show anything out of order. Maybe someone started it, when I was at work, dunno.

Also - my primary disk is SSD Samsung Evo 860 1TB. Checked bothly with hd tune pro and samsung magician - it is in very, very good condition, tbw is low (11,5 TB, don't remember tbw from manufcaturer). Temperatures are ok, since it's put on metal side panel, the same that holds motherboard in place and it is not in the way of any hot air from either cpu or gpu.

About that indexing system - I did not dig into that yet, I've found that some people got issues with database not being rebuilded and still showing deleted files. I'll look into it, when I finish dealing with this.

Quick reboot and I'll be here, hopefully with some answers, after a few minutes.

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Oh boi. After restart, at the very beginning, everything was light-speed (as it should be). Then I've opened firefox (yep, it got many tabs, but still) and everything freezes for circa 2 minutes. Then, it unlocked itself, but I was able only to move cursor - both taskbar and desktop freezes, resulting only in "busy" cursor animation.
I'll try now method listed here, let's see, what it can do.

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Ok, I'm back. Proposed solutions ended up with my win10 still being quite slow. I did not check time precisely this time, but after two commands, that You proposed, none of them returned errors (sfc went fine, other options said, that reboot is not required), but pc still slows too much (and again, freezes taskbar and desktop processess).
I forgot to mention my other drives - I've got old F1 Spinpoint 750GB on Sata III, Barracuda 2000 GB on Sata III as well and HGST 1 TB on Sata III (which yesterday took over 200 interface errors count, I'll probbably change sata cable, but I've swapped all of them few months ago for those with metal clip on their end to ensure that it's connected propertly). Other drivers do not have any attention even in smart and I'm using them for few years now without issues.
I got an idea, that it might be because of that faulty cable, but I'm not entirely sure, if 4th disk, used only for backups and big collections, that cannot fit in any other hdd/ssd would cause so much trouble.

HOWEVER, system defrag tool last analysed my ssd system partition just after log in (it has never been optimised). Can it be the clue or the case?

OK. Generally speaking, I can use pc, only the times of saving and accesing to stuff on drive(s) are tremendously long. Task manager did not show anything unusal (it says that usage of ssd is minimal), hd tune pro does not show any sign of wearing controller on the ssd (min write is over 400 MB/s, random access times <0.25s). Not sure, what does it all mean. Testing with HD Tune pro shows something weird - file benchmark on zero patterns fails to pass 4kb random multi write/read on system partition.

Last edited:

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Is the only time you get this slowness is when Firefox is opened with all your tabs?
Not really. It could happen on logging (after typing sec code, which I use instead of password, because it's shorter), after I successfull enter my account (after loging), when I open Steam, when I open Windows settings, even when I'm trying to get to excel sheet.
It does not always happen on same ocasion every time (like blocked certain exe file, because you cannot open it and you should deal with it), but patterns listed above happens in all my cases. External programs to lookout through disks like tcmd works like a charm, but system explorer can also stuck itself and stay like this, until it unfreezes (circa 2 minutes, longest gap was about 4 minutes) or system gets information that explorer.exe is not responding, what should you do? In that case, whenever I restart explorer.exe itself, it does not restart, forcing me to reset whole pc. In that case I even struggle to open task manager, because again - pressing combo ctrl+alt+del does not even take me to bluescreen (not actual, just the colour) with options to logout, run task manager, lock the pc etc.
I even tried few minutes ago to rollback to 1909 from advanced staring options (windows have done that for me, because it's found out that something was not right about loading win last time (really, Sherlock?)), but I don't remember my ms account password, so I pass.

Strangly enough, there are no "hard" errors, like bsod, logs, dumps etc.

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
^you mean starting with minimal drivers setup as an option in boot settings, or remove all drivers from windows and install them back?
Looks like problem died down a bit with...swapping sata cables (almost new ones, they are few months old) with brackets for better holding to older, without them. Loose ends were my main reason to swap them, but maybe that was the problem? Shamefully, I do not have spare pc to check it (laptops only, meh). I'll look into it, when spare time allow me to do so.

Lyle Mariam

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
If you're running Premium Malwarebytes then turn off Ransomeware protection and that will speed up your computer back close to normal. The May 2004 update is not fully compatible with Malwarebytes. I also turned off defrag on my hard drive as it would occupy 100% of the CPU cycles and take minutes to respond after the computer went to sleep.

Reactions: RBuczynski

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
If you're running Premium Malwarebytes then turn off Ransomeware protection and that will speed up your computer back close to normal. The May 2004 update is not fully compatible with Malwarebytes. I also turned off defrag on my hard drive as it would occupy 100% of the CPU cycles and take minutes to respond after the computer went to sleep.
Ok, I'll do my best to turn it off. However, I cannot find instructions how to do this on malwarebytes 4.1.

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
I've found another way to bypass (?) this issue. Simply disable malwarebytes service from start in msconfig. Log in is now as it was before 2004 update (really quick, but not instant, I do not need this extra 3 secs in my life). However, after entering my profile and my homescreen, system still slows abnormally. So my guess is that disabling this particular option will be my best bet. In my polish language settings I've not found anything related to ransomware - most likely because they translate that into polish, just like Microsoft does, which only makes searching in google and decrypting weird names harder.