Ubisoft Launches Uplay PC Distribution & Social Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[strike]Just checked, good news, I login their web with my Uplay login and I have my steam ubisoft game there. Hopefully can by pass the steam DRM. [/strike] *(update, see post below, it wont allow me to download my steam ubisoft game, so F* them)

Buying ubisoft game in steam = Use steam + Uplay to play = which sucks more than just Uplay alone.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
that 1euro game deals are very good. But I cant help but feel like they shouldnt be on the USA part of the website -.- ubisoft trying to lure unsuspecting gamers into its service with some false advertising?

MAC_HATER

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
getting real sick of yer sh*t PC games industry - i now count at least 6-8 separate proprietary content delivery systems that are choked down with DRM interfering with the experience - if this crap keeps up im going to have to just buy the games, stash them in a cupboard without even opening them, and download the cracked version thats stripped of the parent handler application and DRM just to avoid having to stuff around with this nonsense!

fenixkane

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
As long as Steam support isn't cut, there isn't an issue for them or any other customers, and this does make sense from a business standpoint.
It gives them a direct outlet to sell to gamers that does not have any middleman, meaning they get 100% of the profits per purchase. If, for some reason, a player really wanted to make sure Ubisoft gets 100% of the money from their purchase, they now have an outlet to do that.
That said, I'll still be buying my games off of Steam. Also I wont buy anything with extremely restrictive DRM, which Ubisoft has up the nose, so I wont be buying their games regardless. (And yes, while Steam itself is a form of DRM, it doesn't hinder me from doing much, and I get a ton of services and other benefits to counter-balance it)

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Update, F* them. They are worst than Origin. I just installed Uplay, and my steam Ubisoft game that require Uplay to launch isnt there.

Dont bother using it until they allow steam user to download the game there.

G

I'm afraid that every publisher now is going to make their own digital distribution platform, eventually leading to a "walled garden" approach to distributing of their new titles. EA did this with Crysis 2 under the guise of a contract dispute with Steam shortly after Origin opened and then didn't bother hiding their intentions with Battlefield 3 nor Mass Effect 3 (both of which I still do not own). Hopefully, Ubisoft doesn't follow EA's example.

to be honest, i like several of their games, but with the issues i've been reading i wont buy any of those unless it is a very very good game. but with my back log of games, they won't get anything from me anytime soon

randomizer

Champion
The primary (stated) purpose of these platforms is to prevent you needing lots of launchers and to centralise everything. The problem is that every publisher now has their own launcher, so we're back at square one.

At least Uplay actually does something now, rather than just being a place for duplicated achievements that I already got on Steam.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]who would get a ubisoft game on the pc?[/citation]
Me when they're $75% off on Steam. Around $10 for 50+ hours of gameplay with no issues at all.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Me when they're $75% off on Steam. Around $10 for 50+ hours of gameplay with no issues at all.[/citation]
i can see it when they are dirt cheap, what i meant was is it worth it to the point to try and make an online store and social network around your games when you completely screw the pc side of things with almost every release.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Wow their website sucks, you can't even right click on it as it's disabled on the buy now game pages. So I couldn't even select a game title and copy and paste it into a browser and search for it. I hate to know how DRM infested their wannabe steam software is.

Went there thinking about spending $2-4 on the games particularly HAWX 2, and just beat those and probably uninstal it all but they are doing this as a day by day promotion and couldn't even buy the HAWX 2 game as that was yesterday promotion. Now I have zero reasons to buy anything on it and more reasons to not purchase it as I already have steam and no need to replace it.

A bit disapointed in their site too, it feels too "shiney" and trys to throw a lot of things at you instead of staying simplistic. And you have to click on games to find the prices instead of giving you their information directly on the same page so you have to travel to that particular page to just find that information.

reviewer889

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
OK so now we really need to watch what we buy.
The gaming industry is going in a way where it's trying to corner the gamers into buying they're shit games that shouldn't be worth more than 10$.
In case it's not clear, EA-Origin, Ubisoft-Uplay, etc, etc. and it's not going to get any better because they're all going to go proprietary. Atleast Steam is all publishers pretty much but will eventually will be forced out because of the greed of EA(of course) and now Ubi and the others.
-We need to stop paying for subscription fees for MMOs
-We need to stop paying for EA's yearly release of the same game every single year(COD,Madden,NHL,NBA,Tiger Woods)FYI i've been avoiding them for 4 years and i've found some really GREAT games. I will never go back
-We can't support publisher proprietary distribution platforms.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Ubisoft does not make a game that warrants playing on the PC so why would I want their service?

The sale you say??? Well I can just wait and go pick up their games from the bay or gamestop used for pennies on the dollar for my crapbox 360.

Steam is enough for me and I only have Origin because I wanted BF3 (yes it actually does warrant playing on a PC over console).

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I would encourage people to look up Driver:SF and Uplay issues--their crappy Uplay DRM actually causes the game to freeze intermittently during gameplay when there's an active internet connection. If you disable your internet connection, the intermittent freezing go away. They can't even get their lame DRM working with their own games--why would I actually want to use their "service" for anything else? It was literally the first time I bought a game with DRM that prevented me from playing the game...

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]I would encourage people to look up Driver:SF and Uplay issues--their crappy Uplay DRM actually causes the game to freeze intermittently during gameplay when there's an active internet connection. If you disable your internet connection, the intermittent freezing go away. They can't even get their lame DRM working with their own games--why would I actually want to use their "service" for anything else? It was literally the first time I bought a game with DRM that prevented me from playing the game...[/citation]

Quite a bit of games out there right now I refuse to buy due to DRM or else I would have jumped and bought them a long time ago. Diablo III was going to buy on release till I heard you needed constant internet connection, a bunch of Assassin Creed games, as well as quite a few others. So I typically avoid them for the same reason the DRM does nothing but cause problems and does not give you anything in return.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Quite a bit of games out there right now I refuse to buy due to DRM or else I would have jumped and bought them a long time ago. Diablo III was going to buy on release till I heard you needed constant internet connection, a bunch of Assassin Creed games, as well as quite a few others. So I typically avoid them for the same reason the DRM does nothing but cause problems and does not give you anything in return.[/citation]
Agreed. Most other games I've purchased I've never had a problem with the DRM (guess I just got lucky?). I generally don't have a problem with DRM as long as it doesn't interfere with playing games, but man, Uplay was the first time I actually thought of how DRM does nothing but negatively impact the paying customers. Sad.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Everyone's trying to get a piece of the digital distribution pie. Unfortunately for us, this may mean having to download 3 clients just so we can play all our games....

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I'm currently also in the process of making one of these platforms. I plan to have a loading screen that looks like a middle finger, and then much like all the other "platforms" force you to unlock, cloud sync, update etc.

Then as you get into the game BAM! Slaps you with this message "Thank you for taking 26hrs to download, unlock, install and update the game - but an error has occured. Try downloading again hahahah (lightning!)

Status
Not open for further replies.