Ubisoft Revive DRM Servers After DDoS Attack

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]I refuse to buy any game that has such a DRM scheme as this. Will not be purchasing ANY Ubisoft games from here on out until they change this practice.[/citation]
Ditto, same here.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]DRM = Digital rights managementHow about the rights of the consumer?[/citation]
the only right we have is to play there game the way that they mean us to play it...
stupid eula's
they should be gotten rid of for anything but mmo's

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Not to mention this affects gamers like me. Who was willing to buy the game. But there is no sense in it now. As I'm in the military and will be deploying at the end of april. No internet were I'm going. So ubi is losing sales on that front to because of this bs drm.

randomizer

Champion
I don't know why people think that DRM needs to stop pirates to be classed as effective. It was never meant to stop them. It was meant to slow them down and keep initial sales high. This game has passed the launch window uncracked, therefore the DRM was a success. Whether it gets cracked now or not is irrelevant, because Ubisoft have already succeeded with it. Anything else is a bonus for them and a pain to the consumer.

G

Why not a simple ping to a server to continue in a certain direction in a game? For instance, you can't go to village X without an internet connection so you can ping their servers and download some small piece of temporarily stored content. If you don't have a connection, it simply tells you that and you can go somewhere else in the game. Meets the publisher's needs for protection as well as being less intrusive than an "always on internet connection".

G

UBIsucks takes money for a game that you spend more time trying to play than actually playing. UBI-FRAUD! give back the money

davendork

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]waffle911[/nom]Three months from now...[/citation] I've been trying to say this! The "pirates" are misguided people. They are causing the issues they protest.
I remember when the term "pirated" was brand new meaning an unlicensed copy of software. We used copies of games to try them out. We didn't realize it was wrong, but we all know it is WRONG.
I am ALL FOR being able to try a game before you purchase it. There are too many stinkers out there and I blow my $50-$60 a pop. I personally hated SPORE and I didn't try it first. If you get a copy of a game you like, go buy it. BOOM DRM gone. When the game studios see 20M people playing the game by only sold 13M licenses, it's not hard to see where the studio is coming from. It costs studios more than 100M dollars to make games to appeal to people.
Soon we're going to be sitting in front of PC's with awesome video cards and nothing to do but play CSS and Folding@Home.
What's really sad to me is most of the "pirates" are using pirated copies so they can use a hack in a game until they get banned then they start using a new key.
The people in these threads supporting the "pirates" are WRONG. Just WRONG.
Reading your comments makes me feel like pay-to-play is the only PC gaming model that works.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Shame. I love the Silent Hunter series, but I won't be buying this one. Past DRM versions haven't given me any problem, but this one is pure overkill. Ubisoft lost a loyal customer with this decision.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Ditto, same here.[/citation]

Same here,Was all set to buy it.DRM is a no go for me at this point.Companies are way of the mark with making any product that is designed to not work.Again DRM is killing sales for legit buyers like myself.

davendork

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jdp245[/nom]Shame. I love the Silent Hunter series, but I won't be buying this one. Past DRM versions haven't given me any problem, but this one is pure overkill. Ubisoft lost a loyal customer with this decision.[/citation]
This is the wrong decision and the wrong message to send for PC gamers. If you want to play it, play it. Yes the DRM sucks. If the company didn't have to do it, they wouldn't. Adding DRM isn't trivial $$$. You not supporting a game might like because Ubi has to protect itself is the wrong message. If you want to get rid of DRM, not buying the game won't help. If they were dumb enough to put this game out without DRM it would become the most pirated game ever.

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]blasterth[/nom]I still think that the DDoS Attack is a cover story for a lack of DRM servers capacity and that the partial reestablishment of the servers is just a lie to avoid bad sales in the US during the game launch.[/citation]

+1

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
DRM sucks and I agree with almost all of you. But... attacking the servers that our fellow commrads who have purchased the game are playing on is not the way to go. We have all dealt with issues similar, but don't ruin it for the guy who just wants to play the game regardless.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
How much do you want to bet, if there was in fact a DDoS on their servers, it was implemented by Ubisoft themselves...!

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]DRM sucks and I agree with almost all of you. But... attacking the servers that our fellow commrads who have purchased the game are playing on is not the way to go. We have all dealt with issues similar, but don't ruin it for the guy who just wants to play the game regardless.[/citation]
A single point of failure that screws paying customers from playing their game completely? You can't say this situation couldn't be seen a mile away.. With that kind of DRM there's bound to be a backlash and it's bound to be directed at an easily accessible target that will cause the most damage to their image.

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
DRM does not per se 'suck', if it does not disrupt regular customers from using the product. The problem comes from rootkit solutions, internet based authentication (not everyone is online all the time), etc. Publishers should have the right to protect there intellectual property, but not at the cost of consumers.

Davendork said "If they were dumb enough to put this game out without DRM it would become the most pirated game ever."

Check out Stardock. They are famous for not including harsh DRM in their games and seem to manage to turn a tidy profit.

rockinthepe

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]davendork[/nom]This is the wrong decision and the wrong message to send for PC gamers. If you want to play it, play it. Yes the DRM sucks. If the company didn't have to do it, they wouldn't. Adding DRM isn't trivial $$$. You not supporting a game might like because Ubi has to protect itself is the wrong message. If you want to get rid of DRM, not buying the game won't help. If they were dumb enough to put this game out without DRM it would become the most pirated game ever.[/citation]

People understand that companies are in the game to make money, its how capitalism works, but to sell copies of a game it has to be appealing to the consumer. i don't like DRM's but i know why they're there. I don't have a problem buying games with a DRM but I won't deal with being inconvenienced past a certain level. I will NEVER buy a game that has such an inconvenient system. If Ubisoft looses customers because of a decision they made, then they deserve to loose those customers. If you don't like what a company is doing the best way to change it is to not support that company, this means not buying their products and warning other who might not be fully informed of their policies. If enough people don't buy from ubisoft as a result of this DRM they will cease implementing this particular DRM or continue to loose profits. if they continue on their course i hope they withdraw from the pc game market.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]orionite[/nom]Check out Stardock. They are famous for not including harsh DRM in their games and seem to manage to turn a tidy profit.[/citation]
Stardock are an excellent example of why having no DRM does not reduce piracy. On Day 1 of release, Demigod had 120,000 people online playing. Only 18,000 were paying customers. I'm sorry but if that is supposed to be encouraging to publishers and developers, they mustn't be aiming to make much money.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
The way I see it, if you're going to buy a game to play it, you're going to buy a game to play it as an honest person to support the developer.

If you're a bastard and want to rip off the developers then you're going to do it regardless. A simple CD key should be all that's needed; as, as others have mentioned everything gets hacked sooner rather than later these days.

Stop penalizing the honest consumer.

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Wouldn't mind having the game, but there isn't a snow balls chance I'll buy it with that DRM scheme. If someone makes a crack for the DRM, then I'll consider a purchase.

basilh72

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Down with Ubisoft. I too will not purchase a single Ubisoft application until they pull their head out. Speak with your wallet and do not purchase anything Ubisoft until heads start rolling and they are forced to change their ways or die.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I don't know why people think that DRM needs to stop pirates to be classed as effective. It was never meant to stop them. It was meant to slow them down and keep initial sales high. This game has passed the launch window uncracked, therefore the DRM was a success. Whether it gets cracked now or not is irrelevant, because Ubisoft have already succeeded with it. Anything else is a bonus for them and a pain to the consumer.[/citation]

Okay, now that the launch window has passed, they can disable the DRM, correct?

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Actually I changed my mind. Cracked DRM or not, I just can't see myself supporting UBIsoft with a purchase of the game either upfront near the release date of 4 years from now.

Unfortunately this is the only way to show my lack of support for their decision. I would hope every PC gamer would follow suit. Just like someone said earlier, if purchase this game with the DRM in place, then they are going to continue with this practice.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
This is actually brilliant. This industry operates under the rules of finances and thus we can beat them at their own game. The first thing you learn is a cost benefit analysis. Currently, their analysis shows that the cost of using draconian DRM schemes such as this will be outweighed by the increased income generated from defeating piracy (lol at that - there's already work-arounds in the works, but that part aside). Point is, they made some assumptions, came up with a formula based on those assumptions, and the result are the DRM servers. So, given that formula, all we have to do to influence their decision is to drastically undermine some of the key assumptions. A DDoS attack on their DRM servers is a perfect example of this - and I say keep it up non-stop. Drive the costs of maintaining such DRM schemes through the roof, by force since its necessary, and eventually they'll stop using them. Eventually, with enough efforts on our part, the costs will high enough that all efforts will be abandoned all together. Or so one would hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS