Ubisoft's DRM Currently Winning Against Pirates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Two scenarios:
1) ultimate, world-defying DRM that is unlike anything ever seen before.
2) a second rate, shitty-ass game that no one wants to take the time to crack because the end result is still a second rate, shitty-ass game that you will never play to the end because it is so godawfully boring.
Personally, I'm going with 2.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]if they are honest consumer they wont pirate period , hoenst consumers just boycotte[/citation]
As Valve and numerous others have proven time and time again, boycotts are not an effective tool. Sure, they put a little pressure on, but not nearly enough. If you want companies to change you need to take a different approach.

G

100 % of the game probably isn't on the disc you buy. Instead the game has to download small portions at random locations when you play a level. If that download is not possible (like with a pirated copy) the game stops, much like a train when you remove a small part of the track. If done in the correct way it will be impossible to make a working crack that doesn't actually crack the online account service, and they haven't been able to do that with any game or service yet. Maybe PC-gaming will have a second life after all. Go Ubisoft!!!!!

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
If it has to download bits and pieces while you play it only takes so long before they copy the downloaded data and put it either on the original file or make a different directory to simulate the download from the server.

This DRM is just a new one. It takes a few days, but DRM always loses to the pirates. And we will all point fingers and laugh, when Ubi realizes that they wasted all their money on this pos and hurt their playerbase as they just refuse to buy heavy DRM protected games.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]..."Thankfully, Ubisoft appears to be making it a little easier on paying customers."...I don't know what you're smoking, Marcus, but I want some of that...[/citation]
I should have put emphasis on the little easier part.

While it's still not a happy solution, the fact that the game will allow you to pick up from where your internet connection dropped off is less inconvenient than if you were booted back to your last save point. In that regard, the new patch makes things a little easier to live with.

That said, I played and finished it last year on the PS3, and it was fantastic. It would be an unfortunate thing if DRM kept this work of art away from those initially wanting to experience it on the PC.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
This game with this style DRM is a no go. The last UBI game I had was Farcry 2 and it was DRM infected too but not as bad as this crap. I got it free with my video card, I would never have bought it.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
This just in. Just read at another site this draconian DRM for this game has now been cracked. So way to go UBIsoft, piss off all the legit gamers and the pirates cracked your crap in about 24 hours.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Since when is preventing piracy 3 days before the public pc release a victory? I'm certain 3 days after release pirates will have multiple working choices available.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]lolatiae[/nom]100 % of the game probably isn't on the disc you buy. Instead the game has to download small portions at random locations when you play a level. If that download is not possible (like with a pirated copy) the game stops, much like a train when you remove a small part of the track. If done in the correct way it will be impossible to make a working crack that doesn't actually crack the online account service, and they haven't been able to do that with any game or service yet. Maybe PC-gaming will have a second life after all. Go Ubisoft!!!!![/citation]
If what you say is true, all that it takes is a single pirate buying the game, finishing it then using the full game installed on the hard disc to create a new installer.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
drop the full game to 20 bucks \/ia steam and i'll JUST BUY IT. other than that i'm not going to play it either way.... unless it has full linux suport, then i'll drop 60 bucks on it.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
It won't win... it'll hurt sales... and then ubisoft will blame lackluster PC sales on Piracy and the declining pc platform.

Nimmist

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
[citation][nom]aethm[/nom]It won't win... it'll hurt sales... and then ubisoft will blame lackluster PC sales on Piracy and the declining pc platform.[/citation]
Exactly, who cares how many pirates a DRM stops if it stops more sales than the piracy? Isn’t it better to minimize the impact on the paying customer and increase sales? I have several friends who have given up on PC games and ONLY play consol games because PC DRMs are so restrictive to the legitimate customer. I might be one of them if they ever come out with a keyboard and mouse for the consol systems (a real keyboard and mouse, not these expensive flakey converters).

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
The worst part of this whole internet DRM is, when do you usually fire up Single player games? When the internet is down... Well looks like we will be pulling out the old SNES from now on... Yay for retro gaming!!!

Teirdome

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
On the bright side, Ubi's DRM will likely not be in games in the future. Of course the downside is that Ubi will not be bothering with the now worthless PC.

How anybody who posts on Tom's can be against publishers trying to preserve the PC as platform for big games is beyond me.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Yay, DRM that makes a game unplayable unless you are connected to the internet.[/citation]Yeah, like that DRM they implemented in WoW! You can't even play it without internet access, clearly the game will fail.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Yeah, like that DRM they implemented in WoW! You can't even play it without internet access, clearly the game will fail.[/citation]

WoW adds advantages to playing online. It's a online game. The game doesn't boot you back to your last save spot (luckily someone fixed that with a patch).

Now the big question is, how long do you need to have your internetplug pulled to boot you out of the game, oh no, I'm about to die...... Pull the plug :p.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Im not so much upset at Ubisoft as I am the pirates who force Ubisoft to make restrictive DRM.

They cant make games if they arent compensated for their work.

If you dont like the DRM dont buy it. That doesnt make it ok to steal it.

dashxone

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
The only people pissed about DRM are teenage kids and jackasses who cannot afford or refuse to purchase games. I have no sympathy for you !

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]dashxone[/nom]The only people pissed about DRM are teenage kids and jackasses who cannot afford or refuse to purchase games. I have no sympathy for you ![/citation]
I disagree, I have never pirated a game or song in my life. It is the principle of the matter. If you don't mind pulling your pants down and bending over for these companies then fine buy their crap. I will not. Maybe I will hand some sand to them to wake you up.

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Maybe if companies didn't have to shell out so much money on this DRM crap and there were no pirates games would be affordable ($29.99) or so. I pay for my games buy the on Steam mostly, they are just expensive, I wish they were $20 less.

Status
Not open for further replies.