Ubuntu 11.04 Being Released Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]11.04 Nibbled Nutsack. No matter how much they polish the turd, the apps still suck. Linux has two useful places: servers and embedded devices.[/citation]

Which apps that suck you talking about? :p

All the apps windows (that i would use) that I could find the equivalent of (or run the windows program though Wine) in Ubuntu would use run just fine except for autocad.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]Oh, and gonna grab some popcorn and watch the religious wars over Unity.[/citation]

It's a little crazy isn't it? you know there's gonna be other versions of 11.04 anyway.

Personally, I'm still undecided. I sort of miss the ol' desktop, but I do appreciate them taking steps forward and trying out other approaches. As always the LTS versions are the ones with the most stability and support (obviously), the 6 month cycles are where you push the envelope.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'm going to grab this as soon as it's available!

Ubuntu is my favourite distro of Linux, it's fast, safe and has plenty of support as well as sporting nice colour themes (even though other distros can change their colour schemes as well).

G

retrig: Linux has top notch web browsers, office software, IDEs, graphics software, anything most people use a computer for, etc... I'm not sure what awesome and noble tasks you found Linux unsuitable for, but it's possible you just didn't put any effort into learning a new piece of software.

..back on topic:

10.10 was the best release ever, 11.04 makes some improvements, but overall, Unity seems like a 2nd rate version of gnome-shell. The launcher is cool, but I wouldn't say it's better than something like cairo-dock, which has been available forever.

Hopefully they continue to improve Unity for 11.10, when they begin using gnome3 instead of gnome2.3 as the base for Unity.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I feel like linux's main problem for penetrating into the mainstream user base is lack of a kind of "executable" file for installing programs.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]How large must the partition be?[/citation]

20GB is recommended, but you can get away with 15.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]I feel like linux's main problem for penetrating into the mainstream user base is lack of a kind of "executable" file for installing programs.[/citation]

This is the biggest strength that Linux has, using repositories for applications that can be pre checked for mal-ware and viruses. No wonder this practice was copied by Apple (Appstore) and expect to see it soon on Windows8 when MS steal another great idea then sue everybody for using it before them. Synaptic is a joy to use, anybody without enough knowledge to install bleeding edge software from a terminal shouldn't be using it and should stick with the tried and tested stuff in the repositories (App Stores).

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]This is the biggest strength that Linux has, using repositories for applications that can be pre checked for mal-ware and viruses. No wonder this practice was copied by Apple (Appstore) and expect to see it soon on Windows8 when MS steal another great idea then sue everybody for using it before them. Synaptic is a joy to use, anybody without enough knowledge to install bleeding edge software from a terminal shouldn't be using it and should stick with the tried and tested stuff in the repositories (App Stores).[/citation]

say it isn't so, tomtom! say it isn't so! apple wasn't the first to introduce a truly innovative future in modern computing? now windows will be copying the same feature? The hipsters will have your head.

I love the terminal, but linux of today, and in particular ubuntu, isn't the linux of old. everything can be done via point and click and you can pretty much avoid the terminal completely. if you do try it you'll learn to love it, which is sort of what i feel about unity. Right now i'm sort of indifferent, but i'm liking it more the more i use it.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
10.04 LTS is FTW. All the new releases have just added crap that I don't need(except for better hardware support). But unlike Windows you can at least tweak everything to how you want it.

G

"11.04 Nibbled Nutsack. No matter how much they polish the turd, the apps still suck. Linux has two useful places: servers and embedded devices."

Smartphones?

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]lasseP[/nom]"11.04 Nibbled Nutsack. No matter how much they polish the turd, the apps still suck. Linux has two useful places: servers and embedded devices."Smartphones?[/citation]

and routers and airplanes and cars and tablets and...

dmuir

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]I feel like linux's main problem for penetrating into the mainstream user base is lack of a kind of "executable" file for installing programs.[/citation]

You mean like .deb files?

G

Really anything more than 4GB is plenty, it only takes a little over 3GB for the install.

G

I'm sticking with the 10.04 LTS for the time being until the next LTS will be released. I did some tweaking of my 10.04LTS like I used Linux Kernel 2.6.36.xxxxxxx, Firefox 4.0, LibreOffice 3.3.2.2.

G

I like the look of unity. And for executables you have the Gdebi package installer, which installs everything with one click so....it's even easier.
Kernels there is one here and there. It just comes as an update so....it's not a bother either.
I tried many Linux distros and Ubuntu is the best for sure, not even Mint had good fullscreen flash, had a grey image sometimes.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
retrig: Linux has top notch web browsers, office software, IDEs, graphics software, anything most people use a computer for, etc... I'm not sure what awesome and noble tasks you found Linux unsuitable for, but it's possible you just didn't put any effort into learning a new piece of software.

..back on topic:

10.10 was the best release ever, 11.04 makes some improvements, but overall, Unity seems like a 2nd rate version of gnome-shell. The launcher is cool, but I wouldn't say it's better than something like cairo-dock, which has been available forever.

Hopefully they continue to improve Unity for 11.10, when they begin using gnome3 instead of gnome2.3 as the base for Unity.

Windows has many top notch web browsers (Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Maxthon/ChromePlus), better office (MS Office, although not free; and there's free OpenOffice available) and better photo editing software (Photoshop, although very expensive; and Gimps is there if you want something free). In addition, software that run on both Windows and Linux usually perform better on windows (e.g. Matlab).

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If games went largely linux it could be fun, extremely fun. Games are already pushing user to update drivers and directx or other redistributables for windows. A little effort for the same in linux, and a recompile, would bring them new users worth the efforts. But directx can't go properly in all windows, so it's a lost cause, for now. Till windows gets displaced by Android on x86 and Google taking over consoles too later on.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
....and the war continues. In my exp. most "geeks" run multiple OS's so imo there is no one universal best of the best OS. As for Ubuntu using Unity, well I'll give it a try first, then decide if I like it or not.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
not a big fan of Unity or Gnome 3. but it looks like that is the new direction...

and as far as all the linux bashing... name one other thing that is free that is as good as linux???? free samples at teh grocery store

Once you factor in cost, linux crushes windows... Windows may have pretty interface and better apps, but then again what is the cost of that software and are the results that much better?

Status
Not open for further replies.