Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), Reviewed In Depth

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Tried it on my lil' netbook, very resource light, good available software, use it on that instead of windows now.
Tried it on my main desktop, got mad at the endless vsync issues, deleted it & changed back to win 7. playing vids & games is just infuriating due to the endless tearing. until the vsync issues get sorted, i'll be sticking with windows.

G

It's just no good. It's riddled with bugs. I can't be sure my data is safe.

CUDA is supported by RHEL. therefore, presumably, by SL and centOS.

So it's back to redhat for me after quite a while on ubuntu. I'd rather actual debian or a BSD but I need CUDA.

this is shit. I'm sorry but it just is. nothing to do with the UI. nothing to do with "pros not being able to change things". I changed the UI. I changed things. It has bugs. and conflicts in the repositories before the OS was released.

shit. worthless. a huge pain now to change over to something stable. 10.04 was good. I don't know why they didn't simply build on that as it stabilized, rather than bifurcate to this odd mess.

G

The Unity desktop diminishes the user. I "upgraded" my 10.10 to this latest "great" version and it was a huge mistake. It forced me to turn to Windows 7 for an OS that actually works. I'll see if I can re-instal version 10.10, the last distro of Ubuntu that was decent. I still like 10.10 Ubuntu better than Windows 7, but 11.xx and the Unity desktop have ruined Ubuntu. [scoffs]

atalukdar1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I am bit disappointed with new Ubuntu 11.04 , here are some issues I have faced while using the new release :

1) USB wireless driver does not load during installation , as it did with earlier Ubuntu 10.04 . However you can load the driver after installation with modprobe command but as a result it failed to retrieve 3rd party applications and updates while doing the installation.
2) After installation I tried installing latest driver for NVidia Geofore 7300 GS , but Ubuntu display freeze with NVIDIA device driver . Even I could not get command term using Alt-Ctrl-F1 – F6 .
3) You won't face these issues with earlier version Ubuntu 10.04 (with Gnome) which I believe is the best release so far . My suggestion is "Please don't upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 now , wait for some time till it gets stabilize ".

Finally you won't face any device driver issue with Ubuntu 10.04 , but new release does not have many driver in built and you may face problem with some your devices .

Regards,

Amitabh Talukdar

G

There are lot's of tablet pcs with multi touch that can be used with ubuntu...hp 2740p for example...

G

Unity is a breath of fresh air for linux and it's interesting. There's some issues but it fits perfectly with ubuntu's focus. 11.04 delivers.

G

As a Linux Noob and I mean a complete moron to Linux, I installed Ubuntu this week on a Compaq Presario SR2163WM designed for Vista. I have tried Linux in the past but never had an installation and ease of use as this distro. This is the first time I have been able to use Linux because after decades of Windows 3.1 to 7 I I found Linux equivalent to learning another language and I can honestly say I have been enlightened to a new world of OS potential. I have also taken an older tower and installed Puppy over XP, and for both of these installs, I can honestly say holy $@!t what a difference, Super fast shut down and start up, Internet is like Blazing fast. I'm having fun tinkering with the OS. I would Definitely recommend this distro as a beginners OS into Linux. PS As for drivers It recognized all components designed for Vista and my USB wireless N card as well. All this and it was FREE!!!!!!??????????

meuchel

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]I tried the upgrade, but unity is blech. I am still using the upgrade, but doing the classic. But I may go back to 10.10 for my EeePC.[/citation]
I feel this same way.

G

I tried it, ran it a while, configured the wireless network, then shut it down. It would not boot up again after that. I guess HP laptops don't agree with it.

G

I just had my first look and feel of the newest Ubuntu and all I can say about it is that it looks and acts too much like Windows. We are going to uninstall it and install the 10.4 version. I like to tweak my desktop and I like the drawers that I can put my most frequently used apps in. I did look for them in the newest version but they aren't there. I will stick with Ubuntu 10.4!

meuchel

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
[citation][nom]frrtgrl[/nom]I just had my first look and feel of the newest Ubuntu and all I can say about it is that it looks and acts too much like Windows. We are going to uninstall it and install the 10.4 version. I like to tweak my desktop and I like the drawers that I can put my most frequently used apps in. I did look for them in the newest version but they aren't there. I will stick with Ubuntu 10.4![/citation]
i don't think it is much like windows as a mashup of mac/windows. We that use linux use it for a reason, because it is like no other. let's keep it that way

royalspirit

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I don't like the Unity interface, it's too confusing and too bad OpenOffice is not the official office suite, having LibreOffice seems to me that we went back to the basics.

G

You guys are killing. Dissing a distro based on its default windows manager. If you don't like unity - compile a different windows manager, duh!

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
this os is ok on amd pc, but when on Intel x64 it is too headache for installing windows apps with wine, otherwise it is a perfect os for me, and other headache from this os is it's lacking of multi channel sound output it provides only stereo output and finding codecs is one more huge problem.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
So I've installed this on an older Dell Precision 380 (runs Windows 7 fine) to try to play around with Linux again. Then I installed the recommended updates and the system no longer boots, only a blinking underscore when system is supposed to boot. I reinstalled the OS and repeated this with the same result. Waste of time...

speck1969

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I tried to upgrade 2 times to Natty Narwhal. I kind of like the GUI, but not totally. I have a dual boot box with Windows Vista. Before the upgrade, I was using Ubuntu 10.10, I could boot into my windows partition and Ubuntu using grub
boot loader. After I upgraded to Natty, I couldn't boot into my Windows partition.
Why would I want to use windows, you ask. Because I still like some of the windows functionality over Linux, and even with the Wine app. a lot of my windows apps don't work.

G

alt + Two finger swype = make transparence over windows!!!! COOOOOOL!!!

leilton

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Only problem with this, is that no one seems to know what to do when you install Ubuntu 11.4 and the Launcher is not there. And yes, before you ask, have tried Ubuntu Forums, no luck there, and when I try the Internet, all roads lead to what a great feature, no help telling me how to find it.

Only a small point I know, but if you are going to use it as a main point of Unity, at least let us know how to fix it!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.