Ubuntu 11.10 Review: Benchmarked Against Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Gamer Dude[/nom]Now if we could just convince Microsoft to pimp out it's trick B*** DX Architecture. Open Source FTW! Lets make DX a free agent[/citation]

You cry for this, dispate all the hardware incompabilities of for example Android? You want DOS-autoexec-config.sys-tweaking back? I want to play games and do my stuff, not administrate my operating system FFS.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Why are you bitching about games? Most people only need a web browser, a file manager, a picture viewer, video player, music player, instant messaging client, IRC client. Let's see, what else... A torrent client, text editor. Linux can provide ALL of these and more. For the 1% of Windows-only software there's VirtualBox.

Oh, not to mention that you can make it look like whatever the heck you want:

http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=167

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I hate the unity crap, it makes it difficult to work with multiple instances of the same application and it also waste space and takes more steps to get to many common options/ buttons as compared to the standard gnome.

it also assumes that you know the exact name of everything by designing the unity crap around the search function.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Nice article. How about trying PTS next time ? It is cross platform afaik (Michael uses it to bench windows and macosx).

Also there are newer games. However there are no AAA titles.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nbvvcc[/nom]If you did not notice, all of the 3 tested games are OpenGL which is barely supported in Win7. How about we see some DirectX9 10 and 11 games before making silly conclusions? And in any case, who gives a rat's ass about Doom3 - 7 year old awful game?[/citation]
Yes, but the point was to test something that is comparable in both operation systems. Using DirectX would show that a game runs in Windows. Then you could show how terrible it is emulated in Linux. You could then say that Linux has poor emulation. It would not indicate which operation system is faster.

G

>The fact remains that Linux loses because fewer people use it, and fewer people use it because >everyone else already uses Windows

The Fact remains that Linux is an ugly buggy PoS. And people do not like the shit.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]Yes, but the point was to test something that is comparable in both operation systems. Using DirectX would show that a game runs in Windows. Then you could show how terrible it is emulated in Linux. You could then say that Linux has poor emulation. It would not indicate which operation system is faster.[/citation]

Just like OpenGL test do not indicate which system is faster as OpenGL in better implemented in Linux. Pointless in any case.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
"Put it this way: Ubuntu can't play Crysis." And that is why MS will never allow official DX support in Linux. If they allowed that then why would gamers waste money on the OS when they could put the money towards better hardware.

Android / iOS is a possible saviour as more and more games are written in GLES allowing easier porting to Linux. Just need someone to pay the developers to port their games just as MS did in the early days of DX.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
This article is deeply flawed but interesting non the less. Linux moves too fast to make benchmarks on 4 months old distro. They should have waited for the new LTS Ubuntu. AMD, realistically, wasn't in the Linux market couple of years ago, so expecting to see superior stability and features from their drivers is naive, but their drivers have become much more stable over the last couple of releases. Still, there's still place to make them better especially with multi-monitor support.

And Windows... they can't even properly support the new Bulldozer AMD processors.

In the end it all comes to whether you can actually use your brains. :)

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I'm currently a Linux / Android fan boy, but as I learnt many moons ago, allow your allegiances to change when your use case changes. Don't ignore Linux just because it does not fit you current needs, one day it will. At work we have saved around £80 per unit for our offsite monitoring hardware simply because I said "Why don't we try Linux". But for a HMI I would still say use Windows just because development is much quicker / safer as most of the coders don't know Linux.

manwell999

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
[citation][nom]nbvvcc[/nom]all of the 3 tested games are OpenGL which is barely supported in Win7.[/citation]

That myth again. OpenGL is fully supported by both ATI and NVidia cards under Windows and has been for years.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Am i the only one who wants the same fontstyle finishing that ubuntu / ios has in windows ? i mean .. in windows every front is pixelated while on other os`es is so fine finished.

manwell999

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Am i the only one who wants the same fontstyle finishing that ubuntu / ios has in windows ? i mean .. in windows every front is pixelated while on other os`es is so fine finished.[/citation]

You mean like Windows ClearType? That would be a good idea.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]manwell999[/nom]You mean like Windows ClearType? That would be a good idea.[/citation]
clear type doesn`t smooth the fonts like on linux/iso :p at least not for me

Bunch of stuff in these comments...
- AMD release a new Linux driver at the same rate they do for Windows: monthly. Be it a bug-fix release or a new feature oriented package, it really depends on what they have in the pipe. The only variation there is is when an Ubuntu release approaches that bears a new version of the X window protocol, they may provide an alpha build of the driver to support it. Said alpha is then replaced with the stable version when it's out.
- both AMD and Nvidia spent a lot of resources sanitizing their driver development: 90% of the Linux driver uses the same code as the Windows driver - this includes the OpenGL part of the driver, as well as 2D/compositing desktop and video acceleration. However, while Nvidia dedicates its Linux drivers to professional applications, AMD does cater to big name games (case in point, several improvements that fixed gaming on Wine in 2010).

If you want a more in-depth view of Linux as an everyday environment, head over to http://www.phoronix.com.

@adamovera: for the HDD-to-USB copy tests, was the USB disk or key formatted in FAT32, NTFS, or ext2/3/4? The FAT32 driver in Linux is far from being optimized as well as ext, and NTFS on a USB key in Linux is a big no-no at the time (except when using the closed-source Tuxera driver, which is more the exception than the rule).

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
LOL whoever thinks some OpenGL games prove Linux is a good platform are out of their damn mind ::- D. I won't bother to discuss anything else since this is an age-old topic, and I know each OS has advantages. But gaming will never be Linux' so wake up to reality guys.

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
And BTW the article is nice and the author clearly pointed out that the gaming aspect needs a ton of work on Ubuntu. To be clear: I know that this is also the fault of game developers / game industry, but sorry, Linux didn't give any reason to this crowd (of which actually I am part of) to use it. Linux' architecture & history simply don't make it an attractive platform, period.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Ubuntu and Linux in general i think is great for 75% of computer users out there that just facebook and email.

I think Linux is just as good as OSx and a good system can be built for a fraction of the cost...

MS apps and Gaming is where windows win and will continue to win

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Gamer Dude[/nom]LOL that bad uh well at leased there is an alternative if the Sopa takes awake my ripped Window 8 copy LOL.[/citation]
ripped = stolen. You are a criminal.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Ubuntu and Linux in general i think is great for 75% of computer users out there that just facebook and email. I think Linux is just as good as OSx and a good system can be built for a fraction of the cost...[/citation]
Actually is good enough for 95% of users that work on their computer as opposed to play (stupid) games. And comparing Ubuntu (in general) with OS X is pure crazy.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]ripped = stolen. You are a criminal.[/citation]
Technically speaking, Windows 8 isn't out yet. So he didn't do anything wrong. Apart from installing beta software that could potentially mess up his files (with all the bugs and whatnot).

Status
Not open for further replies.