Question Ubuntu/Linux - Looking for Advice on Making the Switch from Windows for my Server.

BlockModder

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
**To preface this, I work IT for a living already so feel free to not hold my hand, you can get technical if needed. I'm sure there are other discussions like this already, but they never seem tailored to what I am looking for. I'll have several questions technically that I think can stir up a conversation on how to make Ubuntu and Linux more bearable for someone like me.

My first piece to discuss is how are you able to stand using Ubuntu or any of the Linux distributions long term? I'm coming from being a long standing Windows power user, I have a degree in IT and many certifications and Linux distro's drive me up a wall. I feel like I have to remake any distro just to get it to the basics that I have instantly with Windows and I just want an OS I don't have to pay for that still gets updates on my outdated server I run for free... So enough complaining, those of you who use Linux long term, what are some tools you recommend to make this more bearable? I'm talking graphical software get hubs(I want to avoid having to terminal all the time, I spend most of my working day making bash scripts and using PowerShell), or in general what other installables do you recommend that might make it easier to get things moving on newer installations or make life easier/more like Windows.

What are some good server tools you download and use on a regular basis(think preferred Virtual Machine software, website hosting, databases) with the mindset that I'm coming from Windows and am hoping for a better GUI experience. I'm even curious if there are some software hubs or game server hubs that I can create steam cmd servers with a click of a button and watch like they have in Windows. Again, I don't want to have to write all these scripts that I have to chmod a+x and set in the desktop to restart a gaming server EVERY time it updates and if I can help it.

My only other experience with Linux distribution's outside of Ubuntu are Kali-Linux(I specialized cyber-security in my degree so I had to use it a lot) and lightweight OS's like Raspbian or etc for the micro-controllers I use. Should I consider something like this Pop!OS I keep hearing about? I'm looking for stable and long-term updates to security and features so I don't want a flavor of the month, I want something that's getting paid by companies to remain viable(for the right price I would buy a Linux OS as well, I just want to make sure it sticks around and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg). Previously written guides are more than welcome answers to that one, there's so many that its hard for me to decipher which are propaganda and which are serious so, why do you believe what your posting is useful here, some real world experience and not paid answers is what I'm hoping to ascertain.

BlockModder

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
Incase it helps anyone, I recently acquired an HP z440 to replace my aged Dell R415 1U rack server. I was hoping that since the Z440 was a little more desktop than flat-out server that I could pop Windows 11 Pro on it and get away with it(not using windows server since software gets pricey to license that way). Obviously my E5-2690 V3 processor and 128+Gb of DDR4 is no match for Windows 11 though(sarcasm) so I can't put that onto the server. Its high time I get it together and and actually use a Linux Distro anyways, so here we are.

Worst case scenario I can always host Windows in a VM and go from there, but any advice is welcome to this thread.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
1. Kali is not meant for all the time, public facing use. Not your daily driver.

2. Experimenting at this level warrants setting up a whole new box to play with. A whole new server.
Doesn't have to be big and powerful, just to get your feet wet, while your current system toils on.
No problem starting with Ubuntu.

Reactions: BlockModder

BlockModder

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
1. Kali is not meant for all the time, public facing use. Not your daily driver.

2. Experimenting at this level warrants setting up a whole new box to play with. A whole new server.
Doesn't have to be big and powerful, just to get your feet wet, while your current system toils on.
No problem starting with Ubuntu.
I have the space, time, and hardware to VM some other Linux OS's, have any in particular that are GUI friendly you recommend I take for a test drive?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: BlockModder

BlockModder

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
Linux Mint Cinnamon edition https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
and it's Debian edition LMDE6 https://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

or Q4OS with XP like desktop (Trinity) https://q4os.org/

My experience is that Ubuntu is too bulky and buggy

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu but much smoother and less buggy.

Start with VM environment.
Thanks for the response there, I am definitely going to try that Q4OS with XP like desktop in a VM to see what its all about. Much appreciated!

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
If you are using VMware Workstation be sure to run sudo apt install open-vm-tools in a terminal

If using Virtual Box, also remember to run Virtual box guest add-on

So screen resolution will not be always 800x600, or have to be set manually