UDMA Question

I own a Dell Dimension 8250, purchased in 4/03. It's my understanding that
the
Intel chipset (850E) supports UDMA 4 on the secondary IDE channel. However,
my new Plextor 16x DVD burner shows up in Device Manager as UDMA 2, with no
option for UDMA 4. (My hard drive on the primary channel is UDMA 5.) I
called Dell and was told that there was a difference between the two
channels on my system, as the primary channel is assumed to be for the hard
drive, but looking at the Intel specs suggsets otherwise. I was wondering if
someone might shed some light on this. Swapping drives on the secondary
channel (right now the Plextor is master and my DVD drive is slave using
cable select), changing cables, uninstalling/reinstalling the IDE channels
does not make a difference, and I've checked the drive itself and it is
capable of UDMA 4. My OS is XP Pro, SP2. Thanks.

...and to add to Carey's answer, the response you received from Dell would
seem to be incorrect. The Intel 850E chipset - specifically, the ICH2 ATA
controller chip - supports two ATA channels with identical capabilities. If
you were to put the HDD on the second channel, you'd still get UDMA5
(ATA/100) mode. There is NO capability difference between the two channels.

Hope this helps.

> UDMA Mode 2 is most you can get with any CD or DVD Burner.
> UDMA Mode 4 or 5 is for hard drives only and would not really
> benefit a DVD drive since it can only read or write at its designed
> maximum speed.

> "ellen" wrote:
>
> | I own a Dell Dimension 8250, purchased in 4/03. It's my understanding
> that
> | the
> | Intel chipset (850E) supports UDMA 4 on the secondary IDE channel.
> However,
> | my new Plextor 16x DVD burner shows up in Device Manager as UDMA 2, with
> no
> | option for UDMA 4. (My hard drive on the primary channel is UDMA 5.) I
> | called Dell and was told that there was a difference between the two
> | channels on my system, as the primary channel is assumed to be for the
> hard

Thanks - just curious though - the manual for the new Plextor 716A says it's
capable of UDMA 4. Assuming there's no problem with cable or drive (I have
checked both), is there a Windows-related reason why I couldn't achieve it?

"David Hollway [MVP]" <tNhOrSePaApM@angelfire.NOCAPITALS.com> wrote in
message news:4182f1aa$0$24201$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> ..and to add to Carey's answer, the response you received from Dell would
> seem to be incorrect. The Intel 850E chipset - specifically, the ICH2 ATA
> controller chip - supports two ATA channels with identical capabilities.
> If you were to put the HDD on the second channel, you'd still get UDMA5
> (ATA/100) mode. There is NO capability difference between the two
> channels.
>
> Hope this helps.

>> UDMA Mode 2 is most you can get with any CD or DVD Burner.
>> UDMA Mode 4 or 5 is for hard drives only and would not really
>> benefit a DVD drive since it can only read or write at its designed
>> maximum speed.

>> "ellen" wrote:
>>
>> | I own a Dell Dimension 8250, purchased in 4/03. It's my understanding
>> that
>> | the
>> | Intel chipset (850E) supports UDMA 4 on the secondary IDE channel.
>> However,
>> | my new Plextor 16x DVD burner shows up in Device Manager as UDMA 2,
>> with no
>> | option for UDMA 4. (My hard drive on the primary channel is UDMA 5.)
>> | called Dell and was told that there was a difference between the two
>> | channels on my system, as the primary channel is assumed to be for the
>> hard

frank

Ellen FWIW:
My Lite-on DVDROM shows up as a UDMA 4 and my CDRW
shows up as UDMA 2, both in the BIOS and Device Manager
and as advertised.

"ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
| Thanks - just curious though - the manual for the new Plextor 716A says
it's
| capable of UDMA 4. Assuming there's no problem with cable or drive (I
have
| checked both), is there a Windows-related reason why I couldn't achieve
it?

| "David Hollway [MVP]" <tNhOrSePaApM@angelfire.NOCAPITALS.com> wrote in
| message news:4182f1aa$0$24201$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
| > ..and to add to Carey's answer, the response you received from Dell
would
| > seem to be incorrect. The Intel 850E chipset - specifically, the ICH2
ATA
| > controller chip - supports two ATA channels with identical capabilities.
| > If you were to put the HDD on the second channel, you'd still get UDMA5
| > (ATA/100) mode. There is NO capability difference between the two
| > channels.
| >
| > Hope this helps.
| >
| > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
| >> UDMA Mode 2 is most you can get with any CD or DVD Burner.
| >> UDMA Mode 4 or 5 is for hard drives only and would not really
| >> benefit a DVD drive since it can only read or write at its designed
| >> maximum speed.

| >> that
| >> However,
| >> with no
| >> hard

Thanks, coudl you tell me which is master and which is slave? Right now I
have the DVD writer as master and the DVD drive as slave (not using Cable
Select)> I was thinking I might switch the configuration.

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
> Ellen FWIW:
> My Lite-on DVDROM shows up as a UDMA 4 and my CDRW
> shows up as UDMA 2, both in the BIOS and Device Manager
> and as advertised.
>
> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks - just curious though - the manual for the new Plextor 716A says
> it's
> | capable of UDMA 4. Assuming there's no problem with cable or drive (I
> have
> | checked both), is there a Windows-related reason why I couldn't achieve
> it?
> |
> | "David Hollway [MVP]" <tNhOrSePaApM@angelfire.NOCAPITALS.com> wrote in
> | message news:4182f1aa$0$24201$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> | > ..and to add to Carey's answer, the response you received from Dell
> would
> | > seem to be incorrect. The Intel 850E chipset - specifically, the ICH2
> ATA
> | > controller chip - supports two ATA channels with identical
> capabilities.
> | > If you were to put the HDD on the second channel, you'd still get
> UDMA5
> | > (ATA/100) mode. There is NO capability difference between the two
> | > channels.
> | >
> | > Hope this helps.
> | >
> | > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

> understanding
> 5.)
> two
> the

frank

I use a fasttrak RAID so my DVD is on IDE channel 1 master
and my CDRW is on IDE channel 2 master. I also use
the 80 wire data cables.

| Thanks, coudl you tell me which is master and which is slave? Right
now I
| have the DVD writer as master and the DVD drive as slave (not using
Cable
| Select)> I was thinking I might switch the configuration.
|
| "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
| > Ellen FWIW:
| > My Lite-on DVDROM shows up as a UDMA 4 and my CDRW
| > shows up as UDMA 2, both in the BIOS and Device Manager
| > and as advertised.
| >
| > "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
| > | Thanks - just curious though - the manual for the new Plextor 716A
says
| > it's
| > | capable of UDMA 4. Assuming there's no problem with cable or
drive (I
| > have
| > | checked both), is there a Windows-related reason why I couldn't
achieve
| > it?
| > |
| > | "David Hollway [MVP]" <tNhOrSePaApM@angelfire.NOCAPITALS.com>
wrote in
| > | message news:4182f1aa$0$24201$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
Dell
| > would
ICH2
| > ATA
| > capabilities.
| > UDMA5

| > understanding
UDMA 2,
UDMA
| > 5.)
| > two
| > the

Thanks, I have both on the same channel (since I don't want to buy an add on
card) though I don't believe that should make a difference - while the DVD
is UDMA 2, I wouldn't think that should limit the DVD writer.

>I use a fasttrak RAID so my DVD is on IDE channel 1 master
> and my CDRW is on IDE channel 2 master. I also use
> the 80 wire data cables.
>
> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks, coudl you tell me which is master and which is slave? Right
> now I
> | have the DVD writer as master and the DVD drive as slave (not using
> Cable
> | Select)> I was thinking I might switch the configuration.
> |
> | "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
> | > Ellen FWIW:
> | > My Lite-on DVDROM shows up as a UDMA 4 and my CDRW
> | > shows up as UDMA 2, both in the BIOS and Device Manager
> | > and as advertised.
> | >
> | > "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
> says
> | > it's