UEFI defaults have been loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed990

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Hello, i'm having this frustrating issue with my PC and i can't find any solution. I hope some of you guys can help.

Few days ago i've got this message on the screen right after turning on the PC: UEFI date/time not set, press F2 to setup, F1 to continue. So googling around i've find what seemed to be the solution, that is change the CMOS battery. Then when i restarted, this message was replaced by this one: UEFI defaults have been loaded, press F2 to setup, F1 to continue. Since then i'm not able to start the PC without getting this message and more important i can't save any UEFI. This would happen ONLY if i also unplug the power cord. If i just shut down the system and leaving the power cord plugged in, the system boot up normally. By pressing F1 i can get to Windows and the system seems to run smooth, without any problem. CPU temps are normal, RAM get detected normally, SSD and HDD works, everything seems fine.

I tried pretty much everything to solve the problem and i followed similar posts but without any luck.

This is what i've tried so far: CMOS reset with jumpers (few times) and by removing the battery, changed the battery with a new one and tested both with a voltmeter (2,8V and 2,9V), clean the battery holder with alcohol and by rubbing the contacts, disconnect any peripherals device, flashing the UEFI with the new update (2.00) and even the older ones (1.80,1.90), changed UEFI settings, reinstalled Windows 10 three times and changed between Home and Pro versions, updated all the drivers, disabled all the USB ports, removed the MB from the case, cleaned all the parts and mounted it back, even changed thermal paste..

As you can see this is driving me nuts!!!Please help!

These are my specs:
MB: ASRock H97 Pro4
CPU: Intel 15 4440
RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Fury Black DDR3
GPU: Onboard graphics (atm because i'm waiting for the new ones)
SSD: Samsung Evo 250 GB Sata III
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
PSU: Enermax Triathlor ECO 550W

MONITOR: AOC g2460pf (this info is probably useless but all this started because i needed to install beta drivers for it and had to reinstall Windows 10 to do that)

I apologize for my poor English but it isn't my native language. Thanks in advance.

To me, you've tried all the appropriate solutions. In most cases similar to yours that I've seen, it was the result of a faulty motherboard. Personally, I'd recommend replacing the motherboard with a higher quality unit (The Pro4 is really just an entry level board, not terrific quality), or initiate an RMA with ASRock for replacement.

Have you tried stripping down the configuration until it's basically just CPU, memory, power supply and motherboard, with no drives or graphics cards installed, to see if you still get the same behavior?

DO you have the latest BIOS version installed currently, or are you on an older version?

Jed990

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
First of all thank you for the fast reply.

I know this MB isn't the top class but i thought it would have been good for my first build and it has been so far. I have the last BIOS version installed now (2.00 downloaded from ASRock website) and also tried with older versions before. I just tried few times to start the PC with just MB, CPU, RAM and PSU, as you suggested, but as soon i take out the power cord, wait a few seconds, plug the cord back in and try to restart i still get the message: UEFI defaults have been loaded. Then entering the BiOS i can see all the settings are back to default. Anything else i could try?

I personally thought the problem might be either the battery socket or the jumper/pins on the Clear CMOS thing, but it's just an idea.

Often the battery IS the problem, but not usually on a board as new as yours. I have seen it happen in a few instances though where most likely old battery stock was used to fill orders on newer motherboards, and the CMOS batteries didn't last long. Since you've replaced your battery with a new one, at least I THINK that's what you said you did, then that's unlikely to be the issue.

In most cases like this it's a faulty board. It could be something else though. Have you set the memory XMP profile in the BIOS? You might also try bumping the RAM voltage up by +.05v.

Do you have a system speaker attached to the motherboard so that you can hear any beep codes if they are present? A lot of times there is a clear error happening, but many users don't realize it since they've failed to obtain and install a motherboard speaker.

Jed990

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
I changed the old battery (CR 2032) provided with the MB with a new one (DL 2032) which should be the same. I also tested them with a Voltmeter to be sure they weren't low on power (both were around 2.9V). Unfortunately i don't have the speaker on the motherboard and i don't know what XMP Profile is, so i'm sure i didn't touched those settings. RAM seems to be fine to me since it gets recognized properly on the BIOS (it says: 2x4GB DDR3 1600 mhz dual channel) and i used it for the last year at defaults settings without any problem. In your opinion could the battery HOLDER or the "Clear CMOS thing" be damaged?

Jed990

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
I'll try buying a new battery then, since it's cheap and doing so i can be sure if is that the problem or not..thanks for now and i will keep you updated.

If the other battery that you switched it out with wasn't new, then yeah, that's a good idea. If it WAS, then I'm not sure what good a second new battery would do. Can't hurt to try though as the symptoms are typical of a faulty battery but I've seen a lot of other problems, including simply having a failed CMOS/BIOS ROM chip act the same way.

Have your recently installed any new hardware like a new CPU cooler or anything similar? Have you had the CPU cooler off for any reason? I've seen CPU coolers that were over tightened cause POST and other issues as well.

Jed990

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Yes, the second battery i used WAS brand new but i read in other posts people suggesting a lot that the new battery might be faulty. Anyway, if you have any procedure in mind that i could try first i'm all ears.

I'm pretty sure your motherboard has a dual bios, and it sounds to me like it's failing to boot using the primary bios, is switching to the secondary bios, and is then completing it's POST procedure. I can't be sure of course, since I'm not in front of it and you don't have a system speaker installed, but it sounds a lot like this issue, with some small differences.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2710523/build-post-running-great-year.html#16246684

Jed990

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
So i checked everywhere but i can't find anything about Dual Bios on my MB. Are you sure about that? If the problem is like you say, what should i do to fix that? I read the post that you linked but i don't get how can he know if he's using the Primary BIOS or the Secondary BIOS and how does he switch between the two?

Looks like that board doesn't have a dual bios so apparently that doesn't apply in this case, obviously. My apologies. I think I'd contact ASRock tech support though. It clearly seems like a bios issue if you've done everything discussed here. Something board related almost certainly. There always remains an outside chance of it being something else, but that would be my first guess.

Jed990

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
I did send an e-mail to ASRock a couple of days ago but i heard that their tech support sucks so i don't have high hopes. I also contacted the seller but their tech support wasn't available at the time. I hope i can talk with them on monday..well, thank you anyway for your time! tell me if i have to close the post and select your reply as a solution. bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS