[SOLVED] UEFI dual win10 boot drives

Apr 27, 2019
I'll like the option to boot the old Win10 UEFI disk on the machine I just setup with a SSD. I'm not sure how to do that. Standard secure boot is enabled.

What I've done:
  1. Installed the latest bios from Dell on my machine (service tag BB7BV52)
  2. Disconnected the exiting magnetic disk and connected a SSD.
  3. Installed Windows 10 on the new SSD.
  4. Powered down and connected the old disk where it was, moving the SSD to a different SATA
  5. Powered, it's booting the new drive.

I'd like the choice 1) old drive 2)new drive

Solution
I'll like the option to boot the old Win10 UEFI disk on the machine I just setup with a SSD. I'm not sure how to do that. Standard secure boot is enabled.

What I've done:
  4. Powered down and connected the old disk where it was, moving the SSD to a different SATA
Press F12 when the bios logo shows and select which drive to boot from.

You can use the free version of easyBCD to add both disks to the boot menu of whichever drive is the boot drive,it's pretty...

What I've done:

You can use the free version of easyBCD to add both disks to the boot menu of whichever drive is the boot drive,it's pretty simple but there are also plenty of tutorials out there if you get stuck.

Solution
Apr 27, 2019
Why the old drive also?
Why 2 drives with the same OS?
The user is nervous about transitioning to a new disk, and they want to be able to go back to the old disk, 'just in case'. It was always easy to do with straight-up bios but not so easy with Secure boot. I should probably just stop coddling people.

Apr 27, 2019

You can use the free version of easyBCD to add both disks to the boot menu of whichever drive is the boot drive,it's pretty simple but there are also plenty of tutorials out there if you get stuck.

I'll check out easyBCD, thx.

You can use the free version of easyBCD to add both disks to the boot menu of whichever drive is the boot drive
As fas as I know, EasyBCD has trouble with UEFI boot systems.

EFI-Warning.png

Apr 27, 2019
Thanks everyone. In the end I found that I could disable one or the other of the drives in the bios making it sort of dual booting. I've also realized that I'm too accommodating to my users, I'll try not to let that happen again.

Thanks everyone. In the end I found that I could disable one or the other of the drives in the bios making it sort of dual booting. I've also realized that I'm too accommodating to my users, I'll try not to let that happen again.
I'm using EasyBCD with 2 W10 UEFI installations on separate disks with no problems. The reason I have setup like that is that one disk (SSD) has "normal" W10 installed and other SSD has Insider (beta) fast version.

Reactions: LowFiGuy