Question UEFI Will Not Work

Nov 5, 2019
I have a Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z motherboard and when i go from legacy mode to uefi when it boots it gets stuck also the motherboard only said i have 12gb of ram but i have 16 of it and it said i have all ram sticks installed

I have a Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z motherboard and when i go from legacy mode to uefi when it boots it gets stuck also the motherboard only said i have 12gb of ram but i have 16 of it and it said i have all ram sticks installed

UEFI needs an EFI partition on the boot drive which Windows will set up when installed in UEFI mode. If missing it will fail to boot in UEFI mode.

Also, some motherboards will reserve some RAM blocks for special purposes. Don't know, but may be the case with yours.

Nov 5, 2019
UEFI needs an EFI partition on the boot drive which Windows will set up when installed in UEFI mode. If missing it will fail to boot in UEFI mode.

Also, some motherboards will reserve some RAM blocks for special purposes. Don't know, but may be the case with yours.
i tried unplugging my ssd and converted it to uefi and then i tried it on a different uefi computer and it boots up

i tried unplugging my ssd and converted it to uefi and then i tried it on a different uefi computer and it boots up
UEFI is designed for security, so doing tricks like that may work sometimes but not always.

I think it best to install windows on the machine it will operate with the BIOS in UEFI mode and let it set up the partition structure it needs if you want to be assured of proper operation. But here's a thread and forum you might find helpful for what you're trying to do...

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/52837-moving-recreating-efi-partition.html

It won’t even load into the bios in uefi mode
I assume you've done CMOS reset. Don't change anything in BIOS after that, leaving it at all defaults except putting it in UEFI mode.

Will it get into BIOS when set to UEFI mode if no drives are connected at all?

Since it's reporting less memory try starting up with one dimm only in case there's a defective one in the stack.

Last edited:
Last edited:
All ram sticks work by themselves and I have a i7 3600k ASUS Maximus iv Gene-z gen3 16gb ram 256gb ssd 1tb HDD and 2tb hdd
If you've any legacy components in the system with an option ROM it's probably not compatible with UEFI, so your system will have to be operated in legacy mode.

What video card? older video cards are not UEFI compatible

No AIC USB or other I/O cards? AIC sound card? AIC network adapters? AIC drive controllers? AIC video capture card?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019
If you've any legacy components in the system with an option ROM it's probably not compatible with UEFI, so your system will have to be operated in legacy mode.

What video card? older video cards are not UEFI compatible

No AIC USB or other I/O cards? AIC sound card? AIC network adapters? AIC drive controllers? AIC video capture card?
I have a gtx 1080 evga