UI Expert Says Windows 9 Will Be Windows 8 Done Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
"the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window."
lol @ "Microsft Window" HAHAHAHAHA!

So, no desktop and only 1 Window? Could it be any worse?

karmamule

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Go look at his website (useit.com), it is sadly outdated, and tells you a lot about how much his "expert" opinion should be valued. He may have been renowned in the past, but he seems like an anachronism to me...

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Shinobi_III[/nom]The guy must be retarded, just click the application and run it on the desktop.[/citation]
Yes, you're right, he's "retarded"....but thankfully we have more qualified expertise, such as yours! I know you took the time to read his entire report (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/windows-8.html) and so you are in a good position to call others "retarded" and dismiss his findings. Of course, you also realize that he used real people as test subjects - so he was simply analyzing and reporting on their experiences. But, who cares, because apparently we can just click the application and run it on the desktop...

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
If you only need to know office and web, Win 8, is fine. If you need to know more than that, then you should know how to use the keyboard efficiently, where again, Win 8 is fine.

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
This guy is making the same basic mistalke that so many are. Obviously without any training most people will be lost when confronted with Windows 8 for the first time. In 10 min of watchig a tutorial or 2 anyone can be up to speed however. He Also does not seem to understand how to use it (or blatantly lies) since you can easily have many Windows on the screen at one. the idiot thinks that the start menu is the main ui of the OS. It is a START SCREEN, get it? That is like saying that the start menu was the main UI of Windows 7. It´s sad that idiots that this are the ones being taken seriously

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
This guy is making the same basic mistalke that so many are. Obviously without any training most people will be lost when confronted with Windows 8 for the first time. In 10 min of watchig a tutorial or 2 anyone can be up to speed however. He Also does not seem to understand how to use it (or blatantly lies) since you can easily have many Windows on the screen at one. the idiot thinks that the start menu is the main ui of the OS. It is a START SCREEN, get it? That is like saying that the start menu was the main UI of Windows 7. It´s sad that idiots that this are the ones being taken seriously

Has this guy even used win8? Yes, winRT is extremely restrictive in the ways that he mentioned, but win8 proper works just like win7 on the desktop allowing for multiple windows to be open, as well as snapping metro apps to the side of the desktop if you want. Yes, there is a learning curve for where all of the background settings are now hiding (are they in metro? are they in Control Panel? oi!), but other than that there is really very little practical transition between win7 and win8 for desktop users who are using mostly desktop applications. And if you have multiple screens? win8 is like a dream come true for people running multiple displays and are not allowed to mod their winXP/7 install to better support them.

Win8UI perfect? Absolutely not. But terrible? No, I think they are blowing things way out of proportion just to get their name out there. And in 2-3 years when gesture and voice control become more mainstream for desktops via devices like kinect for PC, LeapMotion, and even new innovations on the traditional mouse, we will think all of this as a truly silly problem.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
"so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window""

That made my day...

Bwhahaha

I am sure they have learned their lesson and windows 9 will "get it right".

boyabunda

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Windows 3.1x (1992) - Good
Windows 95 (1995) - Mixed bag, at the beginning it sucked
Windows 98 (1998) - Good
Windows ME (2000) - Sucked (hard)
Windows XP (2001) - Good
Windows Vista (2006) - Sucked although not as hard as ME
Windows 7 (2009) - Very good
Windows 8 (2012) - Not good
Windows 9 (2015?) - ?

G

Wow... A LOT of windows 8 fan boys on this site, I'm shocked. How many of you guys are payed by M$ to promote Windows (failure) 8, I wonder.

Anyways, Tried both per-releases of Winblows 8, and all I can say is "It's absolutely horrible, unusable, not user friendly, and is a mess". I've been in the IT world for many years, my first computer I started on was a Xerox Star, and I've never seen such a POS as Windows 8. It. Just. SUCKS!

I'll be sticking with XP for non-direct X 10/11 needs and Windows 7 when I need to play direct X 10/11 games.

I seriously hope M$ learns from this colossal mistake.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I have been using windows 8 since the first consumer preview as my main OS on my work laptop. Its been about a year now and I still don't like it. I use a lot of key board shortcuts which makes it alot more usable but all and all its not as easy to use as Windows XP or 7. I acually find confusing ubuntu easier to use then win 8 for basic tasks like spread sheets and e-mail.

I hope Windows 8 Service pack 1 adds the win7 style aero glass UI as an option. Having the ability to turn that on and run that along with the windwos 8 start screen, tiles and charms would be the best of both worlds. The windows 8 control panel, resource manager, and task manager are huge improvments, however no one even knows they are there.

von32

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Not sure how much of an expert this guy is after reading that report and a few of the other works he has up on the site. Seems to be just basic points that most everyone sees when they use the new UI(s). Maybe I'm just a bit too cynical since I breathe UI/UX/etc in my free time.

mt2e

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Microsoft is notorious for hiring people to crowd-surf and post positive MS stuff....its blatant are factually incorrect information they spout and they talk like idiots (prolly because their postings per hour are huge). They do this because there is such a slant againt them the only thing they can do is fight back via the comments sections on tech sites hoping that they spout enough garbage that somebody will believe them. Slashdot gets them all the time. They always say things that are out of touch as if the electronic doggie door at Microsoft turned green and they were allowed contact with the real world.

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
i still think its to early to be judging windows 8. As we are still awaiting developers to take full advantage of the new UI.

granted ive only used it on a VM session on my mac but i kind of like it.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I have no problem getting a tablet with win8. I kind of enjoy playing with win8 on a tablet. But i will definitely hold back using win8 on a desktop with much larger screen or a laptop without a touch screen. Each of us has our own preferences.

G

Currently, there is one proven way to fix windows 8 on PCs today, it is to uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7! The PC user then has a functioning and productive OS until windows 9 arrives as the new OS
of choice! Better get Win 9 right, M$ or you will not be worth M¢ !

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
bunch of idiots, if you cant get on windows 8 and are still crying over the spilt milk then GTFO and go back to win7

win8 is great and F**CK no im not being paid by microsoft in fact i just pirated the damn thing

this man has no business calling himself a UI expert when he has a website as crappy as this |useit.com|

G

nameon, that would mean Microsoft will have to allow new PCs to come with windows 7, at the customer's request, and I do not think M$ will crurrently allow that for the home user! P.S. You pirated poop, hell, just go to the local park, not all dog owners clean up after fido!

Status
Not open for further replies.