UI Expert Says Windows 9 Will Be Windows 8 Done Right

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Microsoft did two things wrong with Win8:
Version naming: RT? whats that? It should be 2 versions: Tablet and Desktop edition.

And the second thing: Desktop edition. Make it so that it can have all the crap we need to run a desktop like as before and EASE the metro bologna in...

I'm really glad that dude that was in charge of the MS Windows Division got fired and replaced... Now maybe this ship can be righted somewhat...

Sounds good. If there is one thing i hate about Windows, i that they dumb old applications in newer OS.
Win7 However (at least for me) is almost 100% compatible with most of the software i got.
If they just added Dos-Box full screen support, and better control for older games like starcraft broodwar (color go crazy unles you kill explorer.exe), then im in.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
"Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window'."

THAT is the biggest complaint I have against Windows 8. It's also a complaint I have against Android on tablets. I want windows! I want to be able to see more than one thing at a time. I constantly have windows sized and arranged next to each other on my desktop and laptop. On my tablet I'll do the same thing particularly when drawing and using references. Full screen apps and the 80/20 split do not work for me, period.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I upgraded to W8 (I got it for a low price) from W7 but was having more problems than I expected like task manager freezing or glitching. Did a clean install and it works pretty smooth and boots as fast as it's being said to boot. I barely use the Modern UI though, I'd say I spend 97% of time in desktop mode and that's the flaw of this new UI - that a desktop user won't find much use in it.

davinci cod

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I would agree if Metro was forced UI and not an OPTION!
Installing one program , just one program(classic shall,start 8 they are all good) all problem go away.

I don't use it, but... if you move "Desktop" to the first tile, then at login, type your password, and then instead of pressing 'enter', hold it down. Then since "Desktop" is the first tile, it'll go straight to that without any extra effort.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Gotta love it. Any of us around here that actually like Windows 8 are either "being paid by MS" or "mindless fanboys"

Could the mob mentality get any worse around here?

[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Gotta love it. Any of us around here that actually like Windows 8 are either "being paid by MS" or "mindless fanboys"Could the mob mentality get any worse around here?[/citation]

You are very astute. Notice I started my comment with, "I don't use it, but..." for that very reason lol

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]"Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window'."[/citation]
Too bad that statement is a blatant lie. The "main UI" has the same restrictions as it did in Windows95-Win7. The "start screen" is not the "main UI", as someone else pointed it. It's simply the start screen. Considering it to be "the main UI" is the same as calling the former start menu "the main UI". There's a reason this guy's credibility is being questioned....

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah, I guess Im a sucker for punishment, but I actually like the damn thing, and I wont back down on it. All the talk about forced this and that is ridiculous. As I said before, no one made me have to buy a touchscreen monitor to use it, and no one is forcing me to live without the start menu, since there are a multiple apps that bring it back, but it doesnt matter. Everyone made up their mind about it a long time ago. At any rate, we'll eventually be thumbed down for not conforming to the hive mind! But I do have to say, it would be nice if I was getting that check in the mail. :p

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
There are a few flaws with this "analysis". First off, if you don't know an OS, everything will seem hidden. How many people know where to find the Run command or the Command Prompt function? It's not hat they're hidden, it's that most people don't use them regularly, so of course they're not gonna remember they're there. How many of the millions of users of Win7 even know how to quickly find Control Panel, or add/remove programs?

Second, multiple windows is still supported. I'm using it right now. I'm not sure why they can't use it, but it's still supported. Furthermore if you use the new UI you can snap multiple apps side by side too while working on the desktop.

I don't have a touchscreen, so I can't comment on any difficulties with touch. However, I imagine that the issue with the charms menu on the right side of the screen is easily solved by extending the necessary hover time before the menu appears. It appears to be between .5-1 second, so changing it perhaps to 2 seconds would probably help to prevent accidentally opening that menu while swiping across the screen.

I appreciate the effort at stating an actual problem rather than blanket complaining, even if I disagree with the conclusion. I still believe that the majority of the problem with 8 comes from people who have no interest in trying to adapt to the UI, and the fear spread by those people who have declared the UI as horrible and unusable.

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
[citation][nom]davinci cod[/nom]I would agree if Metro was forced UI and not an OPTION!Installing one program , just one program(classic shall,start 8 they are all good) all problem go away.[/citation]

The thing is it is "FORCED" as you say there is not an option build in to do what your saying that is aftermarket products i would bet there is something out there somewhere to make windows look like Windows 3.1 if you really wanted it (not that i think anyone does) but thats not an option in the windows OS anymore (and should not be) If Start 8 or Classic shell were something you could get for free from the windows store or where already there and just had to be turned on it would be fine in fact most people would not even be bitching then

G

I guess it means more coming from the mouth of a UI expert, and doesn't mean much from... every single person that has ever tried Windows 8.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Be prepared for the downvote brigade. Intelligent counter points? We cant have that around here!
/sarcasm

Anyway, I too have been using multiple monitor with no problems. My main one runs on my 560 ti 448, and my secondary on my Intel HD 3000. No problems at all, even back in beta. But like I said, it doesnt matter. Were either bribed to say these things or just fanboys, so says the Windows 8 witch hunters around here.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Too bad that statement is a blatant lie. The "main UI" has the same restrictions as it did in Windows95-Win7. The "start screen" is not the "main UI", as someone else pointed it. It's simply the start screen. Considering it to be "the main UI" is the same as calling the former start menu "the main UI". There's a reason this guy's credibility is being questioned....[/citation]
Whoosh! Right over your head. My criticism and that pointed out in the article is aimed specifically at Metro apps. No mention of the start screen, start menu, or any of that was made. We're talking about fullscreen Metro apps and that 80/20 split idea. Those are the reason Windows 8 should just be called Window 8. I very much enjoy my multiple windows arranged and sized in a manner of my choosing across an arbitrary number of screens. Metro apps don't support that.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Windows 8 isn't that bad, and MS wouldn't pay me to say that otherwise I would have enough money for college. All the people resistant to change is hilarious, I got used to it in a week and let me tell you leaps and bounds better than Windows 7. You guys can stick with your 7 just like those people that stick to XP or 98 but I will be enjoying WDDM 1.2 which 7 will never get.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
win7 has been a rock solid OS for me. Win8 seems to be heading in a direction that does not suit me, but sadly... i think they will "nudge" me in that direction whether i like it or not.

I haven't gotten to use Windows 8 yet. I got tired of getting some drivers to work on a laptop manufactured in 2004-05. I finally got ATI Mobility Radeon X600 to work. Now I'm struggling with the sound. First, Mobility Modder won't work in Win8 at all. So I sent the driver files to be modded over the network to my PC. I used Mobility Modder there, and then transferred the modded driver files back over the network to the laptop. Next, I used a program to change the driver files from unsigned drivers, to unverified signed drivers, and eventually got the video driver to take. I can't imagine what it will take to get sound to work, but it is just a "I want to see if it'll work" type project before I donate the laptop, lol....

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
i'm not quite sure windows 9 will be ok, considering how microsoft treat user complain for windows 8 interface during pre release :D perhaps windows 8 will be the last windows :D time for us to migrate to linux :p Ubuntu perhaps :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS