UI Expert Says Windows 9 Will Be Windows 8 Done Right

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Mr./Mrs. No MetroUniverse

Microsoft is not pushing metro on anyone on contrary to what the haters say. It was a step forward from an aging 15 year old platform that in the next 3-5 will give way to mobile platforms. If they were trying to close Windows, then they would have not given you the desktop, nor could I install of any of my old applications.

Also you can't use Apple as a Comparison. Of course they are not pushing their closed ecosystem on any third party because it is a closed ecosystem and you want to party in the house you need to follow there rules. As well as they control all hardware so they do not need any third party players.

I am IT Director and I have to look at the impact of such things as Windows 8 new Design and what hurdles it will cause to me, my users and my overall productivity with my network. The funny thing is after some training the simplified UI I found with my test users to make their life easier. Now how is this bad? (real life stupid users test in a corporate enviroment)

I look at everything for what it is at face value. I rarely read into reviews or all the hype until I can physically test it myself. I am not I Microsoft Fan boy and I have toys from Apple and Android as well as Microsoft. So this not a rant or a bias opinion I write but an honest real world truth from someone that tried, tested and used the hell of Windows 8.

It is not a closed platform, nor will it ever be a closed platform. Anyone in the enterprise sector like me will tell that Microsoft will not kill that cash cow by closing Windows. They make why too much money in big business make Windows into a closed platform.

I just believe it is software developers that do not want to make, quality or pretty user appealing apps that are complaining. Just like my software dev.’s that just tried to through one by me the other day about windows 8. They said it wouldn't work. I made it work in 15min. Think about it.

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I just wish we could down vote 2 or 3 times for the really bad posts reading this a few really need a lot more then -1 just for the waste of my time reading that stupid

G

sgtgimpy, enterprise users can still get Windows 7 on new hardware, but not consumers! This is more about monopoly practices that need to be checked! M$ is free do do what ever it desires with its own hardware, but not on the hardware I buy from third Party OEMs! Not closed Now, should be your qualified statment, but not closed now in no way invalidates the concern for the future Micosoft once they get their app store foot in the door! You had better be beta testing inside a VM some other software choices to run your IT Iron in the future, if You have any Knoledge of prior M$ history and their Lust for The closed Apple Ecosystem!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I know this si sort of a reply to an earlier article but the two are really so tied together. I agree with the article about windows 8 playign a part in slumping PC sales. for starters the UI is terrible for PC's no one wants windows 8 on their desktop. first off window's 8 SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MADE FOR DESKTOP !!! MS should ahve stuck to win7 for desktop and made windows 8 a tablet only OS. The time period of greatest PC sales growth was during the windows XP era and this is largely due to the fact that windows XP lasted so long instead of getting replaced so quickly. ms should have gave win7 at least 7 years before moving on on the desktop (no pun intended). they could ahve done win 8 but left it for mobile devices.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Although I've learned to adapt to Windows 8 (let the downvotes ensue, but hear me out first), I do have legitimate beefs with the OS itself:
1) It's not intuitive. The corners don't stick out like an actual Start button (or any button for that matter). How do users know that closing a Metro/Modern app involves dragging from top to bottom? It needs better tutorials!!!
2) It's not "united." The start screen and the Desktop are like using two different operating systems.
3) On a side note: what IN THE FREAKING HELL is the Desktop doing in Windows RT?!!!! Now that will confuse end users, since RT apps (aside from Office 2013) won't run in it anyway! Speaking of Windows RT...
4) ...lots of confusion with that mess as well.

I understand Microsoft wanted to get more mobile share by using Windows as a Trojan Horse, but the execution is terrible. A better idea would have been to change the Desktop icons themselves into Live Tiles and keep the Start button (the latter for no other reason than to appease those that feel like the Start button is the equivalent of a male member, and losing it is the equivalent of castration).

In the end, Windows 8 is a rushed effort: they basically took Windows 7, removed the Start Menu and replaced it with a non-intuitive version of its Windows Phone counterpart.

G

Windows 8 rocks! OMG the start button is gone but you get can so many free and useful apps on the new start screen. Everything else is pretty much the same as Windows 7 so WHAT IS THE BIG FREAKIN DEAL?

I LOVE WINDOWS 8!!!!!!!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]boyabunda[/nom]Windows 3.1x (1992) - GoodWindows 95 (1995) - Mixed bag, at the beginning it suckedWindows 98 (1998) - GoodWindows ME (2000) - Sucked (hard)Windows XP (2001) - GoodWindows Vista (2006) - Sucked although not as hard as MEWindows 7 (2009) - Very goodWindows 8 (2012) - Not goodWindows 9 (2015?) - ?[/citation]
Can't really agree. You missed windows 2000 which I regard as good, and XP was terrible until service pack 2 which made it worse on old computers and better on newer ones.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Tryed W8 for 3 months and went back to W7, because for some weird reason my Radeon HD drivers were slowing my desktop (dont know why, but it did), had a Nvidia and there was no slowdown.
My opinion about W8 is the following:
- Very stable, very responsive, the OS (ignoring the Metro) is as good as W7
- Metro is absolute crap, it is not user friendly and don´t come with that crap that it is intuitive, so make it optional.
- Also, and this one is for MS, why you think people don´t want to see menus? Keep menus visible!!!! Keep things visible, so that we have to click less and search less. Remember people are naturally lazy (Conservation of Energy and Time Saver LOL)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]godnodog[/nom]...why you think people don´t want to see menus? Keep menus visible!!!! Keep things visible, so that we have to click less and search less....[/citation]
The reason is simple. They've spent all development effort on touch - and you can't successfully navigate a menu with fingers as they're too fat and imprecise (they learned this with office 2007/2010). I accidently attended a session about app development for win8 at campus days, and some of the stuff I understood in the session is the focus on touch and 'intuitive' interfaces. They've done research on behavour to conclude how and where information and navigation is to be placed based on the type of content - and they even have guidelines as to where to put the buttons and stuff with static and with dynamic content etc. They've done it intentionally because they think it's what people need.
That being said I don't agree with Microsoft on this, and also their system is only designed with europeans and north americans in mind. We center our attention on what's in the middle of an image - whereas asians generally notice everything around but not nessecarily the middle. This means that fundamentally their design guidelines won't be effective in asia and consequently not able to replace linux as primary os there. This combined with the, reasonable and well documented, skepticism from 'westeners' dictates failure.

ps. you've missed something about the desktop in win8 that makes it not as good as W7 - even if you disable uac, you're not running items 'elevated'. This means that some installs will fail and software like openvpn etc won't work properly. Also it means you can't easily edit system files using notepad or whatever.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
[citation][nom]boyabunda[/nom]Windows 3.1x (1992) - GoodWindows 95 (1995) - Mixed bag, at the beginning it suckedWindows 98 (1998) - GoodWindows ME (2000) - Sucked (hard)Windows XP (2001) - GoodWindows Vista (2006) - Sucked although not as hard as MEWindows 7 (2009) - Very goodWindows 8 (2012) - Not goodWindows 9 (2015?) - ?[/citation]
You forgot windows 2000.

newyorkcitymale

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
The fix is simple--put the Metro tiles on the classic desktop, and make the Start button & classic Taskbar as optional toggles. There. Windows 8 is fixed.

G

newyorkcitymale, No completely remove the Metro/Modern runtime and Its app store claws from the innards of the OS, it is not enough just to provide a desktop UI option! If Microsoft wants to include this crap on its own branded hardware, fine, or if someone wants to download a seperate app store app/runtime, also fine! But for me, on my third party hardware, HELL NO TO METRO!

G

100% agreed. I have tried windows 8 since the early versions and even now I can't find any love for this OS. Windows 8 should definitely have a desktop and mobile version. The desktop should have been a much more secure version of windows 7, faster overall, improved UI, new features, etc... a rock solid, exciting OS. I will stick to Windows 7 until the next OS comes out, hopefully Microsoft will come out with a real OS for desktops.

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Oh yeah... quite a large number of MS-paid "customers" and employees are hitting the sites as fluffers to make Windows8 seem better than it is.[/citation]
Look me up in the forums, b1tch.

Edit: Hey, I'd much rather be called a b1tch than a "MS-paid "customer" or employee". It's not as harsh as it sounds. :p

hannibal

Distinguished
hannibal, In no way will windows 9 have any part of that closed ecosystem front door to the M$ app store Metro/Modern run time in my face every time that I log into my PC! M$ better get this right or it will be a very poor choice on their part! I have no need of the M$ app store depulication, and a crappy duplication at that, of the desktop applications that I have installed on windows 7. M$ had better keep that on their own branded hardware, and keep it off of my third party OEM PC! Any windows 9 that has any part of the Metro/Modern UI will just be another Redux of windows 8!

Ofcourse that is exactly what win9 will be. MS is a company that want to make as much money as they can, so the MS-aplication store will stay. I am not a fan of it, but I can see why MS is doing it. MS may even lose some desktop users if they counterbalance it by getting more mobile customers... We heavy users are getting in tigh corner here! We are not profitable enough that MS will hear our opinions.

Instead of dropping this new metro style on the peoples' laps, perhaps it should have been invisible or non-existent from the start of the Windows 8 experience. It should have been something completely unseen, but available, and something that just grew organically with the user, following the user's preferences, and something the user would build from nothing to whatever the user wanted/added to it over time. The user would also have the option of not using it at all, and thus stay invisible and out of the way. I think it would have been pretty neat if implemented in that way on desktops.

G

hannibal, this M$ app store land grab can be stopped with antitrust litigation, just like the M$ land grab with browsers was! M$ can not force itself on to third party hardware by integrating a closed ecosystem application store into its OS on any third party hardware! Just wait for the litigation to begin!

hannibal

Distinguished
hannibal, this M$ app store land grab can be stopped with antitrust litigation, just like the M$ land grab with browsers was! M$ can not force itself on to third party hardware by integrating a closed ecosystem application store into its OS on any third party hardware! Just wait for the litigation to begin!

Hopefully so! I am not too keen on USA patent rules, but the USA legal system takes antitrust very seriously so I am sure that they make much better job in that area. Ofcource my "knowledge" of USA legal system is from internet, so I don't have first hand information about it.

G

It's kinda of sad that anyone on toms hardware that "Likes" something others don't they get downvoted all the time.

God forbid anyone use Apple products, or windows 8, or hate piracy, likes AMD over intel, or AMD over Nvidia, or vise versa.

Grow up children. If your an adult acting like this, it's just sad.

G

I've been using Windows 8 for nearly a year now on both my gaming PC, my presentation laptop, and my Acer Iconia tablet. The tablet I use the apps they work fine, on everything else I'm typically in desktop mode. I don't understand who these people are that need to constantly be switching back to the start screen. The apps I do use on the Desktop tend to be Hulu, Netflix, and Reddit. The one annoying thing I've found is that with multiple monitors I find it hard to get to the shutdown/sleep menu while I'm standing up trying to use the mouse quickly. Other than that I don't see any difference between 8 and 7 besides 8 is abit faster.

dominatorix

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]dudes, in my book if s**t don't go your way, pirate it..period...i would if i wanted win7 back....[/citation]
but...but....Window 8 don't deserved to be pirated

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
I love Windows 7. I installed Windows 8 on my desktop and for the most part I agree with this guys conclusions after following the link to read his full report. There are a lot of behind the scenes improvements with Win8. I found an article online that explains how to set up Win8 to pretty much have Win7's UI and that's working well for me. Then I get the benefits without the bad UI features.

G

Um, I find my productivity to have become far better with the new UI since I can pin secondary programs to it and important programs to my taskbar and instantly get to work even without setting everything to startup. The fact that I can simply press a button and click has improved the speed at which I get to my software considerably over needing to click the start menu, click programs, click the app folder, and then click it to start it. Yes of course I can make a shortcut to my desktop or pin it to my taskbar in 7, however you are limited in space on both before you end up with multiple pages of taskbar items and clutter up your desktop leaving you looking for the right icon. With the new start menu I can simply pin the apps and open them with a single click and if I'm really bent for looking for an app or some tools then i can type them in, press enter and go. I personally think everyone simply dislikes the UI because it's so different that no one is willing to actually look at it and think about the potential uses of which I think there are far more than what I use it for.

G

Here's a fix to your woes: http://classicshell.sf.net - install, configure to disable all hot corners, and boot to desktop. Now this metro UI won't be taking a crap into your mind. That's how simple it really goes. Another Start Menu is Pokki, but it is from authors of the notorious malware "OpenCandy" NSIS plugin.

Jjsyrnyk

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I think Micro$oft Windows 9 should be 128 bit so we can start using terabytes of ram shit we need to get star track up and running here we are in 2013 now lol... As for the start Menu I would like to see it being put back to normal. If they want Windows 8 metro ui as well then put it as icon in the start menu like they did with media center icon how hard is that. Shit you think they would just put this in update like wtf or make a different Windows Os for phones and tablets not hard. Maybe they need to think a little bit of what people want give them choice be open minded not close mined like Apple also why not add different interfaces some people like to be different I would also like to see Advanced power management timers set times and dates when you want you computer to turn on and off I would also like to see more Advanced settings for ssd hard drives......

Status
Not open for further replies.