News UK Regulators Investigating AMD-Xilinx Transaction

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Strange article...Xilinx and AMD are both American companies last I checked. I don't think the UK can do much about the merger, frankly. This is nothing like nVidia/ARM, because ARM is a UK company. Odd article.

Reactions: thisisaname

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
yes, but why is a UK regulatory body regulating a US company merger to another US company?

UK can't stop the merger of 2 US companies in USA. However, these 2 companies also have offices in UK and operate in UK. So, UK has the power to limit what these companies could do within UK. Things like sanctions, taxes, ban them from gov contracts etc....

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
This "investigations" are just for show, so people can feel and think someone actually care about these things (or them), when in fact most of the times, the big guys just get bigger, maybe even with some behind the scenes deals.

This one in particular is even more funny being from UK about two US companies. I have no worries that nvidia will finish the acquisition of AMR with success, so this one between AMD and Xilinx is really trivial.

Like I said, this FUD is just for show.

ginthegit

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 15, 2012
UK can't stop the merger of 2 US companies in USA. However, these 2 companies also have offices in UK and operate in UK. So, UK has the power to limit what these companies could do within UK. Things like sanctions, taxes, ban them from gov contracts etc....

It does not matter if these are US comanies, its about where the HQ is. You lot dont seem to understand that these International organisations are about Borders, they are about Taxes. The US taxes were too high.

And, ARM is not UK owned, it was bought out long ago, but its HQ is in the UK so it is UK regulated. All countries have their individual laws too, and if some matter seems anti competitive then it MUST be investigated as a standard rule in the UK.

We live in a world where few are owning everything, and they have found a way to get around the laws protecting against monopolies, and they are using it.

You can control Owners, but you cannot stop majority share holders.

Take a look for yourself, look at majority shareholders for all large companies with a simple google search on each, like apple amd.

The shareholders are ;

1. Blackrock inc
  2. Vangard inc
3 Berkshire Hathaway inc

4. JP Morgan

These organisations own near every other company in this world between them as Majority shareholders. This is the largest scam in the world.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
yes, but why is a UK regulatory body regulating a US company merger to another US company?

There's been no proof submitted that the UK is attempting to "regulate" a merger between two US companies...;) The UK has no jurisdiction to do so. My gut tells me that this story is a plant--fake--to try and offset the very true nVidia/ARM UK investigation story. ARM is in and around the UK in a major way, even though it is owned by Softbank, which makes sense--AMD and Xilinx are not UK, and so the UK has no regulatory power over either company. This kind of crap happens all the time in and around the stock market, for instance. Companies actually pay people to spread rumors in and around Wall Street to try and affect their share prices. Internet 101: absolutely do not believe everything you read on the Internet, most especially if it is irrational and incongruent with the law and the facts as you know them. Sad, but true--same thing applied to newspapers when they were a major source of news--TV broadcast news, etc. Contrary to popular opinion, there is no "they" to keep fake news from being printed. It's a Caveat Emptor world.

I know that the Japanese bank bought ARM. However, ARM still includes a number of sensitive UK contracts, holdings, and security clearances, and therefore UK can nix the merger on security grounds. Also, there were many UK-regulatory pre-conditions set for the Softbank acquisition of ARM, and the founder of ARM resides in the UK and has firmly spoken against the nVidia merger. No authority in the UK can prevent a US merger between US companies, just as the reverse is true concerning the power of the US to regulate mergers in the UK, the Russian Federation, Japan, etc.

I can't imagine someone trying to defend a story so obviously short on details and facts as this little blurb...;)

ginthegit

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 15, 2012
There's been no proof submitted that the UK is attempting to "regulate" a merger between two US companies...;) The UK has no jurisdiction to do so. My gut tells me that this story is a plant--fake--to try and offset the very true nVidia/ARM UK investigation story. ARM is in and around the UK in a major way, even though it is owned by Softbank, which makes sense--AMD and Xilinx are not UK, and so the UK has no regulatory power over either company. This kind of crap happens all the time in and around the stock market, for instance. Companies actually pay people to spread rumors in and around Wall Street to try and affect their share prices. Internet 101: absolutely do not believe everything you read on the Internet, most especially if it is irrational and incongruent with the law and the facts as you know them. Sad, but true--same thing applied to newspapers when they were a major source of news--TV broadcast news, etc. Contrary to popular opinion, there is no "they" to keep fake news from being printed. It's a Caveat Emptor world.

I know that the Japanese bank bought ARM. However, ARM still includes a number of sensitive UK contracts, holdings, and security clearances, and therefore UK can nix the merger on security grounds. Also, there were many UK-regulatory pre-conditions set for the Softbank acquisition of ARM, and the founder of ARM resides in the UK and has firmly spoken against the nVidia merger. No authority in the UK can prevent a US merger between US companies, just as the reverse is true concerning the power of the US to regulate mergers in the UK, the Russian Federation, Japan, etc.

I can't imagine someone trying to defend a story so obviously short on details and facts as this little blurb...;)

Though Most of what you say is right, you are missing the point. If the UK regulatory bodies don't approve, then the US lose a lucrative market of the UK on this product. It is in the best intrest for the parties to satify the British Standards Industries as they have protected the UK from many crappy and poor quality Items that break quickly.

It is why Indicidual countries can litigate in an individual way against us companies, if they breach the Local trade regulations and/or Laws.

However I am in total agreement with Fake news, we see alot of it! And I hate the whole concept of the stock market, as their is no value in it.

What they have done to Crytocoins is criminal. they were simply meant to be an unadjustable currency that was supposed to keep its value regardless of the Banking systems monopoly. They were supposed to be independant of the stock market... Now they have their gubby hands on it, the Traders have lost the whole purpose for it. It is now just bull crap. Mining was their way of creating Inflation in the Mining market.