UK to tax computers

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:50:07 -0600, ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Seen on SlashDot:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/0548206
>
> The US held a tea party for their protest. Does this mean Mr. K will throw
> a LAN party? :D

Like hell it will.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Seen on SlashDot:
>
>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/0548206
>
>The US held a tea party for their protest. Does this mean Mr. K will throw
>a LAN party? :D

If he does, I'm THERE!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Seen on SlashDot:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/0548206
>
> The US held a tea party for their protest. Does this mean Mr. K will
> throw a LAN party? :D

In the Times article, I found this quote ("Ofcom predicts that more
than half of Britain's households will be watching television over the
internet by 2012.") to be patently stupid.
How would more than one person sit comfortably around a
desktop monitor or laptop screen? Both are still too small to place
across a room and watch, so that negates the comfy armchair or sofa.
Nope, it will never happen. One person watching a DVD on their
computer makes sense, but a whole family huddled in front of a monitor
to watch? No way.
The UK government is just fishing around for a bigger source of
future revenue.

So there's my lousy 2 cents. :)

(Hey! There's no numpad on this laptop! How am I supposed to
make the "alt 0162"?!?)

--

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:12:32 +0100, Frank van Schie wrote:

> This money is then used to maintain a quality public TV station, with no
> advertisements at all (let alone the ridiculous "Oh, your five minute
> attention span is up, cut to commercials!" scheme the Americans do).

Careful how you call "Aunty Beeb". It's not quality TV anymore.

.... and the "no advertisments" isn't exactly correct anymore either.
Direct adverts (5 minute commercial breaks), they're not done, but the BBC
were slapped once or twice for subliminal adverts (brand names being swung
about on television shows).

--

">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>> Seen on SlashDot:
>>
>> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/0548206
>>
>> The US held a tea party for their protest. Does this mean Mr. K will
>> throw a LAN party? :D
>

> In the Times article, I found this quote ("Ofcom predicts that more
> than half of Britain's households will be watching television over the
> internet by 2012.") to be patently stupid.
> How would more than one person sit comfortably around a
> desktop monitor or laptop screen? Both are still too small to place
> across a room and watch, so that negates the comfy armchair or sofa.
> Nope, it will never happen. One person watching a DVD on their
> computer makes sense, but a whole family huddled in front of a monitor
> to watch? No way.
> The UK government is just fishing around for a bigger source of
> future revenue.
>
> So there's my lousy 2 cents. :)
>
> (Hey! There's no numpad on this laptop! How am I supposed to
> make the "alt 0162"?!?)

Remember my toy?? http://www.streamium.com/products/sl300i/ This is how.
It streams from the internet or my harddrive to my 35" incher in the living
room. Brings out the best of Whole Heap of Trouble. :^)

Quixote

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in

> Remember my toy?? http://www.streamium.com/products/sl300i/ This is
> how. It streams from the internet or my harddrive to my 35" incher in
> the living room. Brings out the best of Whole Heap of Trouble. :^)

Build Your Own TV Without Broadcast Flags
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/03/1313230

HDTV card for your computer for $170 (at least until it becomes illegal in
July):

http://pchdtv.com/

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
> "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in
>
>> Remember my toy?? http://www.streamium.com/products/sl300i/ This is
>> how. It streams from the internet or my harddrive to my 35" incher in
>> the living room. Brings out the best of Whole Heap of Trouble. :^)
>
> Build Your Own TV Without Broadcast Flags
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/03/1313230
>
> HDTV card for your computer for $170 (at least until it becomes illegal in
> July):
>
> http://pchdtv.com/

Illegal?

I might just be up for that sort of thing.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Quixote wrote:
> ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>>> Seen on SlashDot:
>>>
>>> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/0548206
>>>
>>> The US held a tea party for their protest. Does this mean Mr. K will
>>> throw a LAN party? :D
>>

>> In the Times article, I found this quote ("Ofcom predicts that
>> more than half of Britain's households will be watching television
>> over the internet by 2012.") to be patently stupid.
>> How would more than one person sit comfortably around a
>> desktop monitor or laptop screen? Both are still too small to place
>> across a room and watch, so that negates the comfy armchair or sofa.
>> Nope, it will never happen. One person watching a DVD on their
>> computer makes sense, but a whole family huddled in front of a
>> monitor to watch? No way.
>> The UK government is just fishing around for a bigger source of
>> future revenue.
>>
>> So there's my lousy 2 cents. :)
>>
>> (Hey! There's no numpad on this laptop! How am I supposed to
>> make the "alt 0162"?!?)
>>

> Remember my toy?? http://www.streamium.com/products/sl300i/ This
> is how. It streams from the internet or my harddrive to my 35" incher
> in the living room. Brings out the best of Whole Heap of Trouble. :^)
>
> Quixote

Ah, of course. Technology is progressing at an almost imaginable
pace, so goodness knows where we'll be in just a mere 5 or 10 years
from now.

--

">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:38vm7lF5j6mptU1
@individual.net:

> Ah, of course. Technology is progressing at an almost imaginable
> pace, so goodness knows where we'll be in just a mere 5 or 10 years
> from now.

Direct brain stimulation. Of course, first they have to find mine! ;)

But there's those glasses that "paint" the image right on the retina to
generate virtual HUD screens. Right now they're handy for looking at
documentation when you're in an uncomfortable position, like lying on the
ground under a vehicle, or hanging by one hand from a power pole.

I recall reading a story recently where people wore gear to create a shared
reality around them, overlaid on drab reality. (But is that so different
from painting buildings, installing "facades", and putting a lawn where
weeds are indigenous?)

>">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:38vm7lF5j6mptU1
> @individual.net:
>
>> Ah, of course. Technology is progressing at an almost imaginable
>> pace, so goodness knows where we'll be in just a mere 5 or 10 years
>> from now.
>
> Direct brain stimulation. Of course, first they have to find mine! ;)

Sign me up!

Quixote

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> But there's those glasses that "paint" the image right on the retina to
> generate virtual HUD screens. Right now they're handy for looking at
> documentation when you're in an uncomfortable position, like lying on the
> ground under a vehicle, or hanging by one hand from a power pole.

I want a set. But they'd have to be fullcolor, and built into my eye's
lens, running on biopower and wifi-enabled.

> I recall reading a story recently where people wore gear to create a shared
> reality around them, overlaid on drab reality. (But is that so different
> from painting buildings, installing "facades", and putting a lawn where
> weeds are indigenous?)

http://gprime.net/video.php/totalimmersion

me too!!!

--

"Adrian Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote in news:d0fr5a$fp3$1
@titan.btinternet.com:

> You're all crazy.

ofn

(I so seldom get to use that acronym!)

> "Adrian Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote in news:d0fr5a$fp3$1
> @titan.btinternet.com:
>
>> You're all crazy.
>
> ofn
>
> (I so seldom get to use that acronym!)

I so seldom see seldom used anymore.

In fact i can't even type it very well - it always comes out as selcom.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:14:25 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:

> I so seldom see seldom used anymore.
>
> In fact i can't even type it very well - it always comes out as selcom.

I seldom use the word "selcom".