UK TV Network ITV Has Warned Apple Against 'iTV' Name

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]iVision... i'm patenting it right now![/citation]

Maybe you should check with iVision first... they probably won't like you to do that.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I'm sure I read that Apple also tried but failed to shut down a double glazing company in the UK who was called Apple, before Apple existed! But then I could have just dreamt it.

They'll call it iTV, patient it, then make ITV licence their own name.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
iView is taken.

iSee is already in use in multiple ways.

iMediaCenter already belongs to someone. Not that a name being trademarked/used by someone has made Apple pause for long.

How about iPad XXX Large, or iPad 42"?

Or iScreen - and you know the kiddy rhyme that will go along with it.

A variation on one used above - iTainment Center.

Probably they'll just stay with the brand name they've already built - Apple TV. Pragmatic, cheap, established - and it just works.

drevas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
So, if I'm buying a 42" "iTV" in Cleveland, how does that cause confusion with a British TV Network that doesn't broadcast here. Isn't that part of the rub, to infringe doesn't it have to cause confusion between the products?

So, if I'm buying a 42" "iTV" in Cleveland, how does that cause confusion with a British TV Network that doesn't broadcast here. Isn't that part of the rub, to infringe doesn't it have to cause confusion between the products?

ITV may not broadcast there but it is a major content provider that sells its programs all over the world. You may have watched many of their programs without realizing where they have come from.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Apple is the company that sues for rectangle icons with rounded corners, or grocery stores for an "infinite" logo that looks like an apple. If they go through with this iTV, then it's not fair to just wait for Apple to die with the customers waking up from lethargic sleep. A quicker and more painful death is needed.

TL;DR Version: Die Apple

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]silentbobdc[/nom]How about the i'Madouche or i"matard . You'd have to be to pay 3-4x what a 42" tv is worth just to get a crApple logo on it.[/citation]

Yet there are morons out there that will spend the $2500+ for a 42" tv with an internet connection just because of that little apple. Most of them probably can't understand that you can already get a 55"+ tv with internet connectivity for about $1000. Better yet, buy a nice 70" TV for $1200 and build an htpc for $600 and you will end up with a much better setup and larger screen. If the stupid little apple means that much then get a sticker and save yourself almost $1000

aries1470

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Oh geez guys, it is already made... by me :)
©aries1470:
iTiVi - The future of TiVi today.
Please note the capitilisation too ;-)

drevas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
"ITV may not broadcast there but it is a major content provider that sells its programs all over the world. You may have watched many of their programs without realizing where they have come from."

Actually, I'm an avid fan of Brit TV. I was into the original life On Mars before anyone I know had even heard of it. That doesn't answer the question, doesn't it constitute infringement only if it causes confusion for consumers? If I'm watching ITV content without knowing it, how does that affect my decision to buy a particular TV? Where is the harm to ITV?

Status
Not open for further replies.