[SOLVED] Ultra Pure Water in a cooling loop

Nov 18, 2021
Im planning on flushing my system with Ultra pure water and was then going to either get the EK mystic fog concentrate or the premix depending on the outcome of this question.

What i want to know is will the ultra pure water strip the metals and plastics from my EK hardline tubing or the copper from the waterblocks?

I know ultra pure water has gone through extensive treatment to remover pretty much everything from it and ive noticed mayhems and alphacool have there own branded ultra pure waters so it surely cant leech can it?

Solution
In PC watercooling, you should avoid aluminum in a mixed metals scenario with copper and brass. In automotive applications, this is why coolant has anti-corrosives. As long as this is avoided in PC (no aluminum) this is less an issue. Also, automotive coolants can have negative impact on some items such as o-rings and acrylics, depending on type used. You are better off using a PC coolant (rather than an automotive coolant) in a PC cooling system.

However, you'll still need something that is anti-bacterial/anti-microbial as you can still develop growth in a loop with just water over time.

(Watercooled for ~19 or so years)

Co BIY

Splendid
I am not knowledgeable about computer cooling loops but in cars the antifreeze additives are essential to prevent corrosion especially of the aluminum radiators (even when not needed for freeze protection).

Car temps go much higher ect.. but I would be include an additive in the correct proportion.

Premix makes a lot of sense to me for the small volume of these coolers.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
In PC watercooling, you should avoid aluminum in a mixed metals scenario with copper and brass. In automotive applications, this is why coolant has anti-corrosives. As long as this is avoided in PC (no aluminum) this is less an issue. Also, automotive coolants can have negative impact on some items such as o-rings and acrylics, depending on type used. You are better off using a PC coolant (rather than an automotive coolant) in a PC cooling system.

However, you'll still need something that is anti-bacterial/anti-microbial as you can still develop growth in a loop with just water over time.

(Watercooled for ~19 or so years)

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The notes about the need for corrosion inhibitors and antibacterial additives above are correct. NOTE that OP said he / she IS planing to use some additive contentrate formulation WITH the ultra-pure water as solvent to prepare the loop filling solution.