Question Ultra wide monitors good ?

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
hello im looking for monitor and can’t decided which one is more comfortable for playing I’m still running on the 1080p 60hz
And looking for ultra wide what are the positive and negative things about owning ultra wide monitor for playing all kind of games but mostly I play mmo World of Warcraft and other then that other games fps strategy’s

Or should I look for standard monitor 27 inch 1440p for the casual gaming

I have enjoyed my experience going up from my original 27" 1440p monitor to a 34" ultrawide. It's nice having the extra screen real estate. Perhaps a downside for some is the extra space an ultrawide can take up.

If you are using it for gaming, you have to post your PC specs. You would need quite a fairly good GPU to be able to get a good gaming experience.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I have enjoyed my experience going up from my original 27" 1440p monitor to a 34" ultrawide. It's nice having the extra screen real estate. Perhaps a downside for some is the extra space an ultrawide can take up.

If you are using it for gaming, you have to post your PC specs. You would need quite a fairly good GPU to be able to get a good gaming experience.
I’m building one I already got Rtx 3060ti pair with i5 12600k 32gb ram

If needed to buy new gpu I’m ready to do so I’m just curious if ultra wide is nice experience to play all kind of games does it give nice view from it

I personally think I get a great gaming experience out of an ultrawide, however, I do have a 3080 ti. With a 3060 ti you'll probably have to dial back some settings.

The best way to figure out if it's good for you is to go to a store that has ultrawide monitors in stock and take a look for yourself. This won't give you the gaming experience, but at least it can give you the day-to-day experience.

Reactions: Why_Me

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I concur with @ThatVietGuy - I used to be the guy who claimed that ultra-wide was a gimmick, a way to sell pricey monitors. I thought all the hype was just that . . empty hype.

Then I got to try one.

For me, it's great for work purposes, as it gives me the same benefit as a pair of smaller monitors used to do in the office. Then for gaming, the extra field-of-view is amazing.

Whether it's a FPS, or even some isometric(ish) games (Don't Starve comes to mind), the extra aspect ratio lets you see what otherwise wouldn't be visible to you on a 16:9 screen.

I've gone from being dismissive of it, to being a true believer.

Aug 12, 2022
I currently use a 1440p monitor that is 32(not UW) inches and for most games I have to turn the graphics down a good bit for my PC to handle it. That being said the extra space is awesome for work and fitting multiple windows without alt+tab or having to scroll on them much if at all. That being said you can never go wrong with 27 inch, it is definitely the size to performance sweet spot in a sense. Just some personal experience to base things on.

If you have a decent GPU and your main focus is games. I would say get a high resolution 27 inch with good response time and refresh rate. That would probably be the best bang for you buck.

All in all, if you need it for work as well then get UltraWide, but for gaming only you could spend that money on a 27 inch, 4k or 1440p monitor with a 144hz+ refresh rate. Whatever makes you happy is what you should get at the end of the day.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I personally think I get a great gaming experience out of an ultrawide, however, I do have a 3080 ti. With a 3060 ti you'll probably have to dial back some settings.

The best way to figure out if it's good for you is to go to a store that has ultrawide monitors in stock and take a look for yourself. This won't give you the gaming experience, but at least it can give you the day-to-day experience.
Can you tell me if this is decent and good enough ?
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ele...usb-c-monitor-eiq-274k144ifsghuca/version.asp

hello im looking for monitor and can’t decided which one is more comfortable for playing I’m still running on the 1080p 60hz
And looking for ultra wide what are the positive and negative things about owning ultra wide monitor for playing all kind of games but mostly I play mmo World of Warcraft and other then that other games fps strategy’s

Or should I look for standard monitor 27 inch 1440p for the casual gaming
The positives are much bigger real estate for doing productivity tasks and a more immersive gaming experience. The downsides are, a lot of content, particularly tv and movies won't fit the aspect ratio well. The GPU power required to power an ultra wide is pretty extreme so you might find yourself in need of a new GPU often. However from the games that you mention, they aren't that intensive GPU wise so perhaps that's less relevant in your case.

I thought about this recently, I decided to go with a 27" 1440p for the more standard aspect ratio and because I didn't want to upgrade my GPU every 2 years. However I do play games like Cyberpunk.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
The positives are much bigger real estate for doing productivity tasks and a more immersive gaming experience. The downsides are, a lot of content, particularly tv and movies won't fit the aspect ratio well. The GPU power required to power an ultra wide is pretty extreme so you might find yourself in need of a new GPU often. However from the games that you mention, they aren't that intensive GPU wise so perhaps that's less relevant in your case.

I thought about this recently, I decided to go with a 27" 1440p for the more standard aspect ratio and because I didn't want to upgrade my GPU every 2 years. However I do play games like Cyberpunk.
Well I don’t really play much on pc mainly I do play on ps5 but on pc I do play like mmo wow game and some other games like fallout 76

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

It’s very hard to choose either have dual monitors as I already have one 24 inch monitor which I can leave it for use for browsing while gaming so I don’t have to tab out of the game

looking for ultra wide what are the positive and negative things about owning ultra wide monitor for playing all kind of games
i've got 34" 3440x1440p ultra-wide and 55" 4K displays in the same room and i can say i'd much rather play anything on the 21:9 1440p vs the 16:9 2160p.

i would never go back to standard 16:9 screens for gaming after using the ultra-wide 21:9.
I play mmo World of Warcraft and other then that other games fps strategy’s
for strategy and other isometric style games it makes a huge difference having the extra screen space.

for 3rd or 1st person action/shooter games it also makes a big difference with immersion having much more view of the area surrounding your character.
The GPU power required to power an ultra wide is pretty extreme so you might find yourself in need of a new GPU often
i don't see how it would cause you to need a new GPU "often".

i used a GTX 1080 Ti from launch until earlier this year when RTX 3080 Ti prices dropped and i was fine through the transition.

i wouldn't call every ~5 years or so often.
just get a good card and you're fine through a couple generations at least.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
i've got 34" 3440x1440p ultra-wide and 55" 4K displays in the same room and i can say i'd much rather play anything on the 21:9 1440p vs the 16:9 2160p.

i would never go back to standard 16:9 screens for gaming after using the ultra-wide 21:9.

for strategy and other isometric style games it makes a huge difference having the extra screen space.

for 3rd or 1st person action/shooter games it also makes a big difference with immersion having much more view of the area surrounding your character.

i used a GTX 1080 Ti from launch until earlier this year when RTX 3080 Ti prices dropped and i was fine through the transition.

i wouldn't call every ~5 years or so often.
just get a good card and you're fine through a couple generations at least.
So what you think for beginning this monitor electriQ 34" WQHD QLED 144Hz as this is the cheapest I found out not looking for expensive one right now

It's a lot of pixels to drive, for some games running them with all the trimmings at 60 FPS can be demanding on an Ultrawide. Cyberpunk for example, that's a bit of a struggle on the 20 series cards with ray tracing turned on at that res, even though they weren't that old when it released. You can increase your mileage though with a more powerful card and some graphical compromises over time. My point is that you'd just get stronger performance for longer on a 27" 1440p that's all.

Your new GPU probably won't age as gracefully as your 1080 did at 1080p. Not saying don't get one, it's just that's one of the disadvantages, it uses more juice.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is:

How far away from the monitor will your eyes be when sitting in your preferred gammin position ?

If your set-up allows you to be about 24" or moar back from the monitor, you will probably like the UW experience, if not you probably will find that it will hurt your eyes trying to keep up with or focus on the action that occurs on the far left & right sides....

I have 32" curved UW's to the left & right of my main 43" monitor, and I love it because I can sit back about 36" away from them and can utilize every bit of the extra screen space.

HOWEVER, I do NOT game on them, but I do edit live video and also do CAD/CAM work on them, nevanottaproblemo....

Also, spec-wise, that monitor you listed seems ok, but I have never heard of that brand. If it is considered a good one in the UK, then it should be fine, and the price isn't too bad either...

So as usual, YMMV :)

Your new GPU probably won't age as gracefully as your 1080 did at 1080p.
i've been on 34" 1440p for ~3 years now.

the GTX 1080 Ti kept ~80-90fps on the most demanding games(Cyberpunk 2077, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, etc) but i had to compromise with some lower settings.
the RTX 3080 Ti keeps 120fps, or near to it, with highest possible settings in the most demanding games.

Last edited:
what you think for beginning this monitor electriQ 34" WQHD QLED 144Hz
never heard of them.
you'd have to link to the actual manufacturer product page for full specs.
this is the cheapest I found
i wouldn't recommend cheaping out on a gaming monitor.
color, contrast, etc are usually rather low on cheaper / lower quality models.

Reactions: Nighthawk117

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Think back to the time when All monitors were 4:3, and the 16:9 were new and expensive. Everybody ooo'd and ahh'd about how nice the wide-screen was and how much more viewing area was now possible. The appeal of 21:9 isn't any different.

Many ppl have now moved upto using 2 or 3x wide-screens, just for the extra space. Game on one, have discord, cheats, directions, maps etc on the other.

The downside is 21:9 isn't a supported resolution in every game, isn't a supported resolution for many video or movies that are 16:9 native. So you'll get letterbox bars, same as watching anything really old that was shot for 4:3 on a 16:9 wide-screen.

The upside is that many newer content is native 21:9, immediately noticeable by the top/bottom bars on a 16:9 screen, instead of the side/side bars. Many/most newer games support 21:9, so the game view is much closer to peripheral vision viewing, not the more tunnel view of wide-screen or 4:3 resolutions.

The downside to that is the extra pixels. It takes power to light up a pixel, there's almost 1.8x as many pixels at 1440p as there are at 1080p, but ultrawide 3440x1440 has 1.35x as many pixels as standard 2560x1440 (1440p). That can have a strong affect on the fps onscreen with gpu bound games. So where you were close to 200fps in a game, you may end up closer to 160fps, at the same graphical settings.

Cpu is possible fps. Gpu is viewable fps. Depending on the game and how close that relationship is will determine how many fps are lost, if any at all. CSGO doesn't lose any fps, the gpu isn't challenged at all, so all the fps from the cpu will show. FarCry 6, with the HD pack will be a totally different story.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Think back to the time when All monitors were 4:3, and the 16:9 were new and expensive. Everybody ooo'd and ahh'd about how nice the wide-screen was and how much more viewing area was now possible. The appeal of 21:9 isn't any different.

Many ppl have now moved upto using 2 or 3x wide-screens, just for the extra space. Game on one, have discord, cheats, directions, maps etc on the other.

The downside is 21:9 isn't a supported resolution in every game, isn't a supported resolution for many video or movies that are 16:9 native. So you'll get letterbox bars, same as watching anything really old that was shot for 4:3 on a 16:9 wide-screen.

The upside is that many newer content is native 21:9, immediately noticeable by the top/bottom bars on a 16:9 screen, instead of the side/side bars. Many/most newer games support 21:9, so the game view is much closer to peripheral vision viewing, not the more tunnel view of wide-screen or 4:3 resolutions.

The downside to that is the extra pixels. It takes power to light up a pixel, there's almost 1.8x as many pixels at 1440p as there are at 1080p, but ultrawide 3440x1440 has 1.35x as many pixels as standard 2560x1440 (1440p). That can have a strong affect on the fps onscreen with gpu bound games. So where you were close to 200fps in a game, you may end up closer to 160fps, at the same graphical settings.

Cpu is possible fps. Gpu is viewable fps. Depending on the game and how close that relationship is will determine how many fps are lost, if any at all. CSGO doesn't lose any fps, the gpu isn't challenged at all, so all the fps from the cpu will show. FarCry 6, with the HD pack will be a totally different story.
so best thing to go with would be then have dual monitor the new one then would be 27 inch 1440p 144hz was looking at the Samsung odyssey g5 really like it but note sure if it’s good for gaming or not

Samsung odyssey g5 or Gigabyte G27Q 27" ?
I have a personal preference for IPS so for me it would be the Gigabyte. If your considering 27" monitors, have you looked at the LG Nano IPS ones, they are one of the best:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-27GN850...=1660393056&sprefix=lg+nano+ips,aps,54&sr=8-1

LG 27GN850:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn850-b

Samsung Odyssey G5
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g5-lc27g55t

Gigabyte G27Q
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/g27q

Reactions: adast
So what you think for beginning this monitor electriQ 34" WQHD QLED 144Hz as this is the cheapest I found out not looking for expensive one right now
I'm not familiar with this monitor and there are few reviews on it. The people that have it though seem to very happy with it, it's likely that it's very similar to another on the market but rebranded. If that's the case I couldn't tell you which one though.

Some good alternatives if there is any flexibility in your budget are:
AOC 34" CU34G2X - Fairly popular budget friendly ultrawide that has plenty of reviews.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-CU34G2X-BK-Widescreen-3440x1440/dp/B082VHT11B
Review:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aoc/cu34g2x

34" Xiaomi Mi - Not so familiar with this one but was well received by Hardware Unboxed
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/34-xiaomi-mi-curved-monitor-219-samsung-va-panel-1500r-3440x1440-144hz-4ms-freesync-30001-300cd-m-hd?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl92XBhC7ARIsAHLl9anGeHuuAN_Ge2kxfAyhrufUygfsNKKSlWelVczRoM0Feafqs0al2LkaAisxEALw_wcB
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hMAw8xCd0Y&t=59s

Would highly recommend Hardware Unboxed for monitor reviews, they are the most detailed I've seen.

so best thing to go with would be then have dual monitor
that would depend on if you would rather have more immersion and more screenspace for the game you would be playing
or would rather have a separate screen showing something other than the game while you are playing.

i would rather not have a distraction like a separate video or social media in my field of view while i'm concentrating on a game
and would rather have the added in-game peripheral vision and/or extra map space available so the ultra-wide screens are a much better option for me.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I'm not familiar with this monitor and there are few reviews on it. The people that have it though seem to very happy with it, it's likely that it's very similar to another on the market but rebranded. If that's the case I couldn't tell you which one though.

Some good alternatives if there is any flexibility in your budget are:
AOC 34" CU34G2X - Fairly popular budget friendly ultrawide that has plenty of reviews.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-CU34G2X-BK-Widescreen-3440x1440/dp/B082VHT11B
Review:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aoc/cu34g2x

34" Xiaomi Mi - Not so familiar with this one but was well received by Hardware Unboxed
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/34-xiaomi-mi-curved-monitor-219-samsung-va-panel-1500r-3440x1440-144hz-4ms-freesync-30001-300cd-m-hd?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl92XBhC7ARIsAHLl9anGeHuuAN_Ge2kxfAyhrufUygfsNKKSlWelVczRoM0Feafqs0al2LkaAisxEALw_wcB
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hMAw8xCd0Y&t=59s

Would highly recommend Hardware Unboxed for monitor reviews, they are the most detailed I've seen.
Thanks for the reply’s I was looking aswell at this aoc monitor I think I will go with it