Question Ultra wide monitors good ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
hello im looking for monitor and can’t decided which one is more comfortable for playing I’m still running on the 1080p 60hz
And looking for ultra wide what are the positive and negative things about owning ultra wide monitor for playing all kind of games but mostly I play mmo World of Warcraft and other then that other games fps strategy’s

Or should I look for standard monitor 27 inch 1440p for the casual gaming

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
It would be the one I would go for. The other ones probably a decent monitor but it's just not well documented.
Thanks for the reply’s really appreciate I was going crazy which monitor to chosse as I been still using 1080p with 60hz I don’t have shops near me where I can actually see those ultra wide monitors as I want to step up a bit with monitor upgrade I been upgrading pc parts and everything but never monitor as I have no clue about monitors as I only hear from the friends that having 144hz is really nice to have it these days

I have no clue about monitors as I only hear from the friends that having 144hz is really nice to have it these days

AOC 34" CU34G2X
144Hz is nice if you have a system that can produce at least 144fps in games.
otherwise it's rather wasted.
even 100Hz would be fine with the RTX 3060 Ti / 12600K pair and medium game settings with newer AAA games @ 3440x1440p.
though i'm sure you'll have this display for quite some time so you still may make use of the full 144Hz down the road with further upgrades.

that AOC is a decent bargain but it seems to be lacking in some areas;
semi-low brightness @ 300nits,
a VA panel(which some will argue for but i've always found them to have terrible viewing angles),
it being WLED/LED vs QLED or OLED means that it will have more backlight bleed around corners and/or edges and also further limits image brightness.
and you'll need to pick up a DP cable to use as it only includes an HDMI.

i would want to see the image quality in person before ordering.
if you have a Best Buy or something similar anywhere near you stop by there and check out some of the monitors that are out on display.
you may find the one you're looking at and be able to check it out
or another one you like that you can then shop around for the best deal for.

Acer Nitro at a similar price with an IPS panel...
going to have better view angles and colours than the AOC but not as good contrast
and has HDR.
with HDR on in Windows and in games that support it it should have much better contrast.

it is Freesync and not G-Sync Compatible so you'll be limited to AMD cards to make use of those features.
but if that's not a concern for you then it doesn't really matter.

also is not height adjustable but i always leave mine at the highest setting anyways.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
and has HDR.
with HDR on in Windows and in games that support it it should have much better contrast.

it is Freesync and not G-Sync Compatible so you'll be limited to AMD cards to make use of those features.

also is not height adjustable but i always leave mine at the highest setting anyways.
Was looking at acer nitro but I see the monitor is flat wouldn’t be better to have curve one for gaming ?

Was looking at acer nitro but I see the monitor is flat wouldn’t be better to have curve one for gaming ?
VA panel monitors tend to be curved in part because their viewing angles are not quite as strong as IPS so it helps to prevent colour shifting when looking at the edge of the screen. However some people find the curves on big monitors like an ultrawide to be more comfortable as it brings the edges closer to you and every part of the screen is a similar distance to your eyes.

Unfortunately I don't use an ultra wide so can't really say whether I would prefer the curve or not. There are pro's and con's to both panel technologies. I prefer IPS myself, the colour reproduction tends to be more accurate and the viewing angles are very good. If you were watching a movie though, the VA panel will give you much deeper black levels than an IPS. IPS does tend to be more expensive which is why most of the more affordable ultra wides are VA.

My two cents would be not to worry about HDR on a budget monitor.

Comparison of the AOC and Acer side by side:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tool...miipphzx/7106/16012?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

Reactions: adast

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
VA panel monitors tend to be curved in part because their viewing angles are not quite as strong as IPS so it helps to prevent colour shifting when looking at the edge of the screen. However some people find the curves on big monitors like an ultrawide to be more comfortable as it brings the edges closer to you and every part of the screen is a similar distance to your eyes.

Unfortunately I don't use an ultra wide so can't really say whether I would prefer the curve or not. There are pro's and con's to both panel technologies. I prefer IPS myself, the colour reproduction tends to be more accurate and the viewing angles are very good. If you were watching a movie though, the VA panel will give you much deeper black levels than an IPS. IPS does tend to be more expensive which is why most of the more affordable ultra wides are VA.

My two cents would be not to worry about HDR on a budget monitor.

Comparison of the AOC and Acer side by side:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tool...miipphzx/7106/16012?usage=3623&threshold=0.10
Thanks I will purchase the
AOC CU34G2X 34" UWQHD VA 144Hz Curved Monitor and see how it is I appreciate for the reply’s and thanks

I see the monitor is flat wouldn’t be better to have curve one for gaming ?
i like a slight curve(≤1800) for ultra-wide mostly because i sit rather close.
how a 1500R would appear may be a completely different story.

i still think you should go to an electronics store with multiple options on display and get some insight on what looks/feels the best to you before you make any online purchase.

Reactions: adast

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Even if it's not on Nvidia's GSync Compatible list, it's still likely to work fine with adaptive sync on Nvidia's GPUs (10-series and later).

Not guaranteed, but should work anyway.

I've only run into an issue with one monitor (Acer 38" 3840x1600 resolution) using a GTX 1080, though, that was 2-1/2 years ago, so I would imagine that Nvidia's more recent drivers would've fixed the problem.

TRENDING THREADS