Question Unable to Access BIOS on Lenovo P3 Tower Despite Multiple Attempts (BIOS Accessible at Repair Center)

Jun 29, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm facing a frustrating issue with my Lenovo P3 Tower, and I'm hoping someone here can help.

System Details:

• Model: Lenovo P3 Tower
  • GPU: NVIDIA T400 4 GB
  • Current OS: Ubuntu 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu)

The Issue:

I recently got my computer back from a repair center, and they informed me that the drivers were installed correctly. However, I'm now trying to access the BIOS to make some changes, but I can't seem to enter it, no matter how many times I try.

What I've Tried:

• Pressing the usual keys (F2, F12, Esc, Del, etc.) repeatedly during startup—I've tried this over 100 times with no success.
  • Using a different keyboard and switching USB ports.
  • Attempting to access the BIOS from within Ubuntu using sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup.
  • Disabling Fast Boot and Secure Boot (if they were enabled) via Ubuntu.
  • The repair center sent me a picture showing that they were able to access the BIOS, so I know it's possible, but I just can't seem to get it to work on my end.

What I Need Help With:

1. Why might I be unable to access the BIOS even though the repair center could?
  2. Are there any specific tricks or less common methods I can try to enter the BIOS on a Lenovo P3 Tower?
  3. Could this be related to the installed drivers or any other software issue?
  4. Is there a way to reset or force entry into the BIOS using hardware (e.g., a specific jumper or button on the motherboard)?
I’m trying to upgrade (or rather, downgrade) my OS from Ubuntu 22.10 to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS for stability reasons, but I can't do that without accessing the BIOS to boot from a USB drive.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.