[SOLVED] Unable to boot after driver installation!! Plz help!!

rrspamrr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
I installed a driver that came with a bluetooth dongle I ordered online and it caused my PC to crash. After restarting I found that I was unable to get past the motherboard screen. I can get into the bios but im unable to boot windows.... Pressing f11 for recovery mode asks me what drive to boot windows from and choosing my SSD which has windows installed gives me a message saying "reboot and select proper boot device." I'm not sure what to do at this point? Should I try loading windows on a usb stick and then somehow go into the ssd drive and figure out what files were corrupted? I'm very lost and any advice would be much appreciated...

Solution
most likely you have a intel storage driver installed, when the system crashes it tends to want to look at all of your drive partitions and reassigns the drive letter. It just guesses and ends up assigning a drive letter to the wrong partition.
so drive c: is not your windows partition.

you might be able to disconnect your second drive and reboot and get it to work but most often people have to boot up on a windows install image, then run dispart.exe display the partition table drive assignments then reassign them to to correct locations. most often you will see drive c assigned to a small reserved partition that should not have a drive letter . microsoft version of the storage driver does not assign the reserve partition a...

Lutfij

Titan
Please parse a link to the dongle you'd purchased that seems to have triggered the downfall of your system. As for the drivers, did you double click on the executable? If so, what OS was the dongle designed for? If the dongle was designed for an older Windows OS, then you should've used compatibility mode on the executable/installer, i.e, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Windows x(from the drop down menu).

Second note, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

rrspamrr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Please parse a link to the dongle you'd purchased that seems to have triggered the downfall of your system. As for the drivers, did you double click on the executable? If so, what OS was the dongle designed for? If the dongle was designed for an older Windows OS, then you should've used compatibility mode on the executable/installer, i.e, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Windows x(from the drop down menu).

Second note, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Hi Lutfij, thank you for the response! I ordered the usb dongle from amazon and it came with a thumb drive that said "driver" which had a setup.exe file which I simply double clicked on (I can post those files somewhere if you're interested) . The amazon page said it was compatible with windows 10 so I figured there wouldn't be a problem. But here is the exact link:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-XDO-Wireless-Transmitter-Headphones/dp/B09KGVFX1K/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SRQUFA2C7F2X&keywords=xdo+long+range&qid=1649451321&sprefix=xdo+long+range,aps,195&sr=8-1

Here are the specs of my PC:

Processor: Intel Core i7-6800K Processor (6x 3.40GHz/15MB L3 Cache)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H55 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: 64 GB RAM [16 GB x4 DDR4-3200 Memory Module]
GPU: GTX 1080 MSI GAMING x 2 (Dual Cards with EVGA SLI Bridge)
Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon (4x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2, 4x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 4x USB 2.0 - Mystic Light RGB LED, Steel Armor PCI-Express Slots 3)
Power Supply: 1000 Watt EVGA 1000 GQ (80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular Advance Cabling Options)
Primary Hard Drive: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO M.2 PCI-E SSD (Read: 2500MB/s; Write: 1500MB/s +394)
Secondary Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE (32MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s)
Wifi: 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter

Thanks again!

most likely you have a intel storage driver installed, when the system crashes it tends to want to look at all of your drive partitions and reassigns the drive letter. It just guesses and ends up assigning a drive letter to the wrong partition.
so drive c: is not your windows partition.

you might be able to disconnect your second drive and reboot and get it to work but most often people have to boot up on a windows install image, then run dispart.exe display the partition table drive assignments then reassign them to to correct locations. most often you will see drive c assigned to a small reserved partition that should not have a drive letter . microsoft version of the storage driver does not assign the reserve partition a drive letter, the intel version of the driver does. after you get the system fixed, I would not use the intel driver but would change over to the generic microsoft driver. People with this problem tend to hit it over and over until they make that change. having a USB thumb drive with a primary partition will trigger the intel driver to reassign the drive letters. Ie it gets triggered if you reboot and leave the usb drive connected.

you should google "how to use diskpart.exe to change drive letters"
for instructions on how to fix this. after it is all fixed, then change the intel storage driver to the microsoft generic storage driver so this never happens again. (using windows control panel device manager, right click for properties for the storage controller then look for the microsoft driver. (Sorry, I don't remember the exact menu options)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS