Question Unable to boot from cloned M2

May 25, 2023
My wife has a old laptop that does everything she needs of it. But the M2 is only 250Tb and needs being larger. I got a 500Tb Crucial P3 Plus Rightech USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure.

I used Todo Home and the Crucial clone programs. But neither has created a clone that will boot. There is no error message just endless attempt to boot when the cloned M2 are put in the laptop. I tried changing the boot BIOS options with no effect.

EaseUS support have looked via TeamViewer at the original and cloned M2 and say everything is on the cloned M2. That there is a problem on the laptop and to look further will cost $150. On pensions I wasn’t keen on that!.

I have done a repair install of W10 no change. Can you advise what else I could try?

Another application entirely: Macrium Reflect; the free "trial version".

You can do what you need to by cloning.

Or by imaging.

Macrium will do either.

If cloning with Macrium fails, try imaging instead. Or vice versa. Your choice. Both could succeed or fail.

Imaging is a 2 step process. Make an image file, then restore it.

Cloning is single step.

I normally use imaging.

May 25, 2023
Thank you, being a novice (and 80!) I am a little lost, why could a diffrent program make the clone bootable rather than the two I have already used?

Thank you, being a novice (and 80!) I am a little lost, why could a diffrent program make the clone bootable rather than the two I have already used?

Check this solution, it has a thorough explanation of cause and solution, so I see no point in adding to it.

May 25, 2023
Solved it a repair install of W10 sorted out what must have been the problem and new SSD now boots OK. Thanks for help.