Question Fan Speeds - Too High?

Jun 17, 2024
Recently, it seems like my fans, particularly my AIO CPU fans, are running more vigorously than usual. Can anyone confirm if these fan speeds are appropriate for the current temperatures (currently no stress being applied)?

Picture

Imgur Link (I tried to embed it but got an error message)

++

Here are my specs:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22631.3737 (23H2)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650 GAMING X AX V2

RAM: G.Skill DDR5 SDRAM 16 GBytes (x2)

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have not told us what AIO system you are using, and where its components are connected. But THIS is common: the PUMP of the AIO system is plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and the RAD FANS are plugged into the CPU_OPT header. The PUMP is designed so it always runs full speed, so you will see that speed (3358 RPM in your photos, a perfectly reasonable pump speed) always there. Each mobo fan header (including the CPU_OPT) can show you the speed of only ONE fan. So although the RAD FANS all are connected to CPU_OPT, you will be able to see the speed of only one of those, and you are to assume that the others are doing the same thing. This has NO impact on ability to control those fan speeds. In your photos this is 1646 RPM, and that also is a reasonable fan speed for 61C temperature inside the CPU chip and 70% of max speed for the rad fan. There are no problems there.

A small additional note. Every fan header has an important second function. It monitors the fan speed reading for possible FAILURE (indicated by NO fan speed reading). If that happens you get a prominent warning on screen and possibly more drastic action to shut down your system to prevent overheating from NO cooling. But when you have more than one fan on your Rad connected together to the single CPU_OPT header, that header cannot monitor ALL of those fans' signals. So from time to time YOU should just look to verify that all rad fans still are working.