Question Unable to connect hard drives to new PC motherboard

Dec 6, 2023
I have 2 factory hard drives from an old Dell Optiplex 9020. I'm trying to connect them to a new Lenovo Ideacentre 5-14IOB6. I've connected all of the cables - the ones directly to the motherboard and the power supply cable, but no additional hard drives are shown connected when I boot up Windows 11. Any help is appreciated. (I'm happy to post my system specs if needed, but this seems to be a hardware issue to me).

This is what my hard drives look like:

s-l1600.jpg

Do they show up in BIOS?

What's the full configuration of your PC? Sometimes SATA ports can be disabled when e.g. M.2 drivers are installed.

Since these are mechanical drives from a 10+ year old PC, do you actually know that they work? Do they still work in the old Dell?

Reactions: Night FM

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If those drives are actually that old (320GB) and have been sitting in some case without powering on all this time I kind of doubt they'd even spool and spin up.

Wouldn't hurt trying with other SATA power and data cables.

When HDD cables are connected (power + data) the moment you power PC on and the drives should start and spin up and they should vibrate a little bit which is feelable by touch.

Check power and SATA headers on drive and clean if very dusty or check if pins/port bent or broken. Also remove any jumpers from drive if any.

You can also check the PCB (board on back of drive) for visible damage or burn marks and such.

Also check in BIOS and see if the drives show up. Depending on BIOS and its features SATA interface might be disabled from within BIOS altogether or for the ports to which you connected the drives.

If a drive doesn't show up in BIOS (although it might power on and spin up) I don't think it'd should up in Windows or other OS.

Although I've seen a few times that some BIOSes to stuff the drive doesn't like and doesn't show up. One way of testing that is connecting SATA power and powering PC on and letting the BIOS do the POST and power on and then connect the data cable to the drive. Not sure if you'd comfortable doing that (hot plugging the drive).