Question Unable to figure out FPS issues.

Jun 30, 2020
For the last week or so, I have had FPS drops in Modern Warfare and Apex legends.

Apex is installed in a 4 TB HDD
Modern Warfare on a 500GB SSD

When playing Apex, the FPS drops are random, walking, mid gunfight, or even in my inventory.
When playing Modern Warfare, the FPS drops happen in regular MP usually in a gunfight. But when in the Warzone Battle Royale, I get FPS drops walking, running, looting, aiming in sniper scopes, getting in and out of vehicles, and most of the time when I am mid Combat. I have not noticed these drops on any other games atm.

I updated to the latest Nvidia Drivers just yesterday, but the problems have been going on for upto 8 days BEFORE I updated. Nothing else has happened except a minor security update for windows. I checked my error logs and nothing came up from Intel, Nvidia, or anything related to grapics. There is however a good amount of errors saying unexpected disconnect of Disk 3 and Disk 4. I do not have a Disk 3 or 4 and nothing else has been plugged into the PC except the controller, always in the same port.

I have checked forums for both games, and the nvidia forums but have not come up with anything concrete as to why I am getting these kinds of FPS drops.
There is talk about issues with 2070s and 2080s, but nothing major like my issues. Mostly complaints of just under 100 FPS. I am getting full DIPS from 120 FPS to 30 fps, and sometimes worse.

If there is any help or suggestions I can get I would greatly appreciate it.

Btw, I have done scan and repair on both games and fully reinstalled Modern Warfare once already.

My specs are

16gb Ram
Intel I7-9700K CPU 3.60GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

500GB SSD
4TB HDD
6TB HDD

Someone suggested BIOS update but I am not sure how to do that exactly or if it is even needed. This PC was bought 2 months ago, and is under warranty.

Ferimer

Distinguished
For the last week or so, I have had FPS drops in Modern Warfare and Apex legends.

Apex is installed in a 4 TB HDD
Modern Warfare on a 500GB SSD

When playing Apex, the FPS drops are random, walking, mid gunfight, or even in my inventory.
When playing Modern Warfare, the FPS drops happen in regular MP usually in a gunfight. But when in the Warzone Battle Royale, I get FPS drops walking, running, looting, aiming in sniper scopes, getting in and out of vehicles, and most of the time when I am mid Combat. I have not noticed these drops on any other games atm.

I updated to the latest Nvidia Drivers just yesterday, but the problems have been going on for upto 8 days BEFORE I updated. Nothing else has happened except a minor security update for windows. I checked my error logs and nothing came up from Intel, Nvidia, or anything related to grapics. There is however a good amount of errors saying unexpected disconnect of Disk 3 and Disk 4. I do not have a Disk 3 or 4 and nothing else has been plugged into the PC except the controller, always in the same port.

I have checked forums for both games, and the nvidia forums but have not come up with anything concrete as to why I am getting these kinds of FPS drops.
There is talk about issues with 2070s and 2080s, but nothing major like my issues. Mostly complaints of just under 100 FPS. I am getting full DIPS from 120 FPS to 30 fps, and sometimes worse.

If there is any help or suggestions I can get I would greatly appreciate it.

Btw, I have done scan and repair on both games and fully reinstalled Modern Warfare once already.

My specs are

16gb Ram
Intel I7-9700K CPU 3.60GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

500GB SSD
4TB HDD
6TB HDD

Someone suggested BIOS update but I am not sure how to do that exactly or if it is even needed. This PC was bought 2 months ago, and is under warranty.
Whats the cooling look like in your system? do you have a lot of fans? very little fans? stock CPU fan? what are the temperatures when you notice the drop in frames?

Jun 30, 2020
Whats the cooling look like in your system? do you have a lot of fans? very little fans? stock CPU fan? what are the temperatures when you notice the drop in frames?
There are 2 big fans at the front, 1 in the rear, 2 fans on the GPU and 1 fan on the CPU

And GPU sits at around 80 degrees

Ferimer

Distinguished
This PC came prebuilt. I never changed out anything, nor added anything new hardware-wise.
so yeah it sounds like you are experiencing HIgh Temps which will cause you to lose frames when the temps get higher. given that you don't have many fans in your computer, its not getting enough cool air into the case to allow things to cool down. Does it get really loud at times? like the fans revving up ?

Jun 30, 2020
so yeah it sounds like you are experiencing HIgh Temps which will cause you to lose frames when the temps get higher. given that you don't have many fans in your computer, its not getting enough cool air into the case to allow things to cool down. Does it get really loud at times? like the fans revving up ?
Nope, stays pretty quiet.

Ferimer

Distinguished
This PC came prebuilt. I never changed out anything, nor added anything new hardware-wise.
I would suggest opening it up. Cleaning it out all the fans and the power supply, check your GPU to see if there is blockage. Maybe buy some Aftermarket thermal paste and change the paste on your CPU. IF you are uncomfortable doing those things maybe take it in to a place and get them to do it. although the cleaning you can do yourself. So usually the fans should rev up pretty loud when temps start hitting upwards of 80 degrees. they should rev up more and try to suck in more air to cool down the components.

Jun 30, 2020
I have been keeping it clean, every 5 days I would do a quick cleanout because it can be a bit dusty down here. But I can try the new thermal paste. If it doesn't really help mind if I reply here or DM you?

Ferimer

Distinguished
I have been keeping it clean, every 5 days I would do a quick cleanout because it can be a bit dusty down here. But I can try the new thermal paste. If it doesn't really help mind if I reply here or DM you?
Let me just give you an idea on what extra fans and new thermal paste can do. In my RIg i have a coolermaster 212 evo CPu cooler (utilizing a Push Pull setup) attached to an AMD ryzen 5 3600x overclocked to 4.25ghz (base is 3.8). I also run with an Rx580 (triple fans) i have 5 case fans. 3 intake 2 exhaust. i also have central air to keep my room cool. Currently on idle with about 1200RPM on my GPU fans i sit at 27 Degrees. My CPU (keep in mind AMD max temp is 95) im sitting at around 32-34 degrees. The highest temps i've seen when i don't do any manual adjustments for my fans is 60-70 degrees when i adjust my fan speed i drop back down to 50 or less. Perhaps look into downloading some programs that will allow you to adjust fan speeds to increase cooling, replace thermal paste and maybe buy one or two more fans to help cool more. Im not saying buy the fans now, but try the other workarounds first and see if you notice a change or improvement

Zyphercap

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Okay, sitting idle atm, CPU temp is around 43C and GPU is about 50C average
There are 2 big fans at the front, 1 in the rear, 2 fans on the GPU and 1 fan on the CPU

And GPU sits at around 80 degrees
These temps aren't actually that high. I have a RX 5700 and it sits at around 55C Idle and 75C-80C when gaming, which is fine. Generally speaking CPUs and GPUs can run at 85C safely and don't start thermal throttling until 95C-ish, so if you are not reaching those kind of temps I doubt overheating is the problem here.

Unfortunately I don't have any other idea what the cause could be. Are you really only getting these FPS drop in Apex Legends and MW, but not in any other demanding games?

Reactions: Dean0919
Jun 30, 2020
These temps aren't actually that high. I have a RX 5700 and it sits at around 55C Idle and 75C-80C when gaming, which is fine. Generally speaking CPUs and GPUs can run at 85C safely and don't start thermal throttling until 95C-ish, so if you are not reaching those kind of temps I doubt overheating is the problem here.

Unfortunately I don't have any other idea what the cause could be. Are you really only getting these FPS drop in Apex Legends and MW, but not in any other demanding games?
Only thing else I play or have installed on this PC is Overwatch and Mordhau. Both I haven't noticed any DIPS in fps.

Ferimer

Distinguished

Playing Warzone dependent on the settings he has, he shouldn't be hitting up to 80 plus on his GPU. I still don't know the CPU temps when under max load. it could also be the settings you have the game at as well. His idle temps seem high to me 43 on idle for cpu and 50+ on idle for GPu? when he's in a pretty chill room? that seems high

Ferimer

Distinguished

I'm using a ROG STRIX Rx580. i'll turn my fan down to 0 rpm and see what happens. report to you when the temps stop climbing and stay steady and i will let you know what happens with 0 fans spinning on the GPU

Jun 30, 2020
So I just got home, I started up Modern Warfare since it just updated. I have had the game open 6 minutes and 22 seconds as of me typing this. CPU temp is up to 70+ and GPU steadily climbing and just hit 81C at the main menu.

Ferimer

Distinguished
So I just got home, I started up Modern Warfare since it just updated. I have had the game open 6 minutes and 22 seconds as of me typing this. CPU temp is up to 70+ and GPU steadily climbing and just hit 81C at the main menu.
0 rpm on my GPU fans with the current air flow i have in my case my temps on idle for my GPu are hovering at 42-43