Not open for further replies.

pirate_tat87

Commendable
Feb 14, 2022
Hello To All. Any help is greatly appreciated

The Laptop I am using is
OMEN Laptop - 17-cb1070nr
I am currently running Windows 11 64bit

My name is Vince, I am having a bit of an issue when coming to formatting a secondary hard drive that is a Sata hard drive.

So I have my main C:\ that is a an NVME drive which is working perfectly fine and this is my primary drive and what came with my laptop installed

I recently took a SATA hard drive from another laptop that is a 1TB hard drive and installed it as a secondary drive in the laptop i am currently using.

However my problem is that I am now trying to format the drive as I was able to remove the contents of the drive I wanted to keep and I am taking the following steps see below:

0piCaoM.png

Then I attempted to delete the partitions and format through "Disk Management" however the Delete volume is grayed out

1beEcg6.jpg

Jrhm7GN.jpg

Solution
Welcome to the forums! The HDD probably used to contain an OS (Windows 10/11 perhaps?). Windows sees it as active and it has page files and won't format. You can fromat it by booting the Windows 11 installation media or running other apps such as Gparted or Partition Wizard or similar ones.

Have you by any chance changed boot priority in Windows after installing the HDD. Check to see if you're booting from the SSD as it should be.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums! The HDD probably used to contain an OS (Windows 10/11 perhaps?). Windows sees it as active and it has page files and won't format. You can fromat it by booting the Windows 11 installation media or running other apps such as Gparted or Partition Wizard or similar ones.

Have you by any chance changed boot priority in Windows after installing the HDD. Check to see if you're booting from the SSD as it should be.

Solution

pirate_tat87

Commendable
Feb 14, 2022
Thank you all for the information, I had wound up calling HP and they had me go through a windows 11 install and was able to delete the partitions that way. consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.